1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Canonet QL19 - SE 45mm f1.9 lens, can I adapt this?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by punkman, Jan 11, 2012.

1. punkman

punkman Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2011
    Europe
    I found a Canonet QL19 in a closet, it had a 45mm f1.9 lens which I would like to try on my MFT camera. What mount is this lens? Is it a regular Canon mount?

I've googled but can't find any info. I'm probably being a little stupid, anyone care to enlighten me?

2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
  3. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Noooooooooooooo....Are you mad? :tongue: :biggrin:

Get yourself some film & start enjoying that thing! :smile: (I'll take the body & lens off your hands) :wink:

4. Roger

Roger Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2011
    Western PA
    I think you can do it. Check out ( Google ) Jackslai' Photostream. He has done quite a few old rangefinders and has picture sets of each of his conversions. He did a Canon but not the QL19. You should be able to do it with small basic tools and you probably need a " C " mount, but not a thin one. I just did a Yashica Electro 35 and am waiting for the " C " mount to arrive to finish it.

5. punkman

punkman Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2011
    Europe
    Thanks for the great links guys. Unfortunately, I can't really understand the process by only using photos. Has anyone see a good write-up of all the diferent steps?

This is one of my grandfather's cameras. There is also a Nikon SLR with a 50mm f.18 lens, an old Zeiss Ikon (I think that's 6x4 format), the Canonet and a Pentax SLR that has donated its 50mm f1.4 Takumar lens for use with my PEN.

There are also a bunch of boxes filled with slides and film negatives. I want to digitize this collection but after looking into it, it would be a very time consuming project. Now, if anyone has access to an automated film/slide scanner (in Europe), please contact me. Buying a scanner that has an automated feeder for film, is really out of my price range. Using a cheaper Plustek scanner, I would get excellent quality, but it would take 5 min per item and I have to feed them manually.

So if you want to help scan a lot of film and slides, I'd be glad to release a ton of photos with a Creative Commons license. Photos were taken mostly in the 50s through the 90s.

RT_Panther: The Canonet has some sentimental value as you see, but you know, for the right price everything is possible :p. I saw one for 140 GBP on eBay yesterday. Mine is probably not in excellent condition, I will have to check.

Taking the camera apart and having the lens live on my PEN camera, has a certain sentimental appeal. Something I'll have to remind me of home.

By the way, granfather is still alive and kicking and he seemed a bit interested in my PEN. Can you guys recommend any digital cameras that would match an old SLR/rangefinder in usability and overall user experience? I would love to give grandpa a new camera, but I know he won't be able to handle little buttons or the endless menus of the PEN.

6. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Why? These old mass market rangefinders aren't worth very much. The only ones that are worth anything are the ones with removable lenses, these are fixed. I even turn up my nose at them for $5 and I'll buy anything. I already have way too many fixed lenses rangers.

Hacking off the lenses and adapting them is a good way to recycle them.

7. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    It's not very hard at all. Just take apart the camera. Most of the time, the lens will be mounted on a little plate. Just take the lens with plate and screw/epoxy it onto a body cap that you've drilled a hole in. Voila, you have an adapted lens. You'll need to shim it to get the registration distance right for infinity distance.

8. Brian S

Brian S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    I would hack the lens from the camera only if it was dead. Otherwise, some new seals, clean the finder, sell it or pass it on to someone wanting to shoot film.

There are enough dead fixed-lens RF cameras that need major overhauls to make work again. Those are numerous and cheap enough to hack.

The 45/1.9 lens is "decent", but not as good as the 45/1.7 of a Yashice GSN. Many of the latter are dead from bad electronics. I have 3 or so suitable for hacking.

9. Jdumas

Jdumas Mu-43 Regular

I hacked a Minolta Hi-Matic with a 40mm 1.7 lens, its real nice but still not 100% done. It was quite an undertaking even for me as a Industrial Mechanic by trade.

thread here

Rangefinders are little intriguing machines.

10. Brian S

Apr 11, 2009
    The Hi-Matic E has an unusual shutter/aperture mechanism: program mode only. I have one with blown electronics, need to look at it. Would probably be easier to unscrew the front/rear cells and place them onto another lens with a proper manual-aperture.

My Hi-Matic 7s-II gets used with film.

11. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I was just being a bit sarcastic as film shooter.....:smile:

12. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Check this piece of epic camera modification - kind of the reverse of using an analog lens on a digital body.

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7mDE-jBNAg]Making of the Digital Leica Standard - YouTube[/ame]

• Like Like x 1
  13. wlewisiii

wlewisiii Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 16, 2011
    Hayward, WI
    William Barnett-Lewis
    I'd advise you to get a nice Nikon F -> :43: adaptor and use what ever glass that Nikon SLR has on it. All of their 50's were nice - I have the f1.4 and am thinking about getting the f2 one as well. Then again, buying into manual focus Nikon was my last big film camera investment, so my bias is showing ;)

As for the little Canon, well, I"m in the camp that it's more bother than it's worth. Put a fresh battery in it, put a roll of Plus-X in it (while you can, alas) and have fun.

14. punkman

punkman Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2011
    Europe
    Brian_S, I would take one of those rangefinders off your hands. I need practice :p. Which lenses are considered good among cheap rangefinders? Maybe I'll grab one off eBay.

phigmov, I was just searching for such modifications yesterday. I might do one of those mods in the future. Would be awesome, especially with a Canon P&S that can run CHDK. If anyone wants to donate a digital camera + old camera, I would be willing to give it a go. No results guaranteed, but I'll send it back to you modified for just the cost of shipping.

You didn't consider the fun in that equation. I love hacking stuff. I'm not very good at it yet, but that's what practice is for. I think I might be able to manage this Canonet. As for the Nikon, it's still being used occasionally by my grandfather. Plus the 50mm is only f1.8, while the Pentax is f1.4. The Pentax is a bit soft at f1.4, but I think they both might have comparable sharpness at f1.8.

15. wlewisiii

wlewisiii Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 16, 2011
    Hayward, WI
    William Barnett-Lewis
    To me, the most fun with the Canon would be using it as is and I've done more than a bit of lens hacking myself, though most of my success has been in LF glass.

That said, IME, the Yashicas probably had the best glass of the fixed lens rangefinders. As Brian mentioned, the GS or GSN is prone to dying from electrical problems. Find one with a bad "pad" and you'll have a good one for hacking.

16. punkman

punkman Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2011
    Europe
    I've started disassembling the QL19.

Any idea how I can get the shutter-cocking lever off?

17. Brian S

Apr 11, 2009
    I missed the prior question to me- apologies!
    For full-frame cameras, the Yashica GSN (or G or GS), Konica S2, and Minolta Hi-Matic 9 all have stand-out lenses.

For u43, you get the center spot- so most lenses will be sharp on it.

Can you post pictures of the back of the lens that you removed? I'll take a look at mine, will take the plate off. The answer to many of these "stuck on things" is : pliers and dremel. If you only need the lens, helical, and aperture to work- not too much worry about the cocking mechanism. You have to take out the shutter blades, or make them stick in place.

18. punkman

punkman Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2011
    Europe
    I'm still trying to take the top plate off. I meant the shutter button part. It's the only thing still holding the top plate in place.

19. Brian S

Apr 11, 2009
    Use a rubber cork or rubber mousepad, it simply unscrews. They can be tight. If it is misthreaded (never happened to me), pliers.