1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Canon video lens bayonet mount?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by shan564, Jan 24, 2012.

1. shan564

shan564 Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 30, 2011
    I just bought a lens on eBay... it was a video camera lens, so I (mistakenly) assumed that it would mount onto my C-mount adapter. Turns out it has a bayonet mount on the back, so I need a different adapter for it. I couldn't find an adapter online for Canon video lenses... does anybody know what I'd need for it?

It says Canon "VL" on the side. Apparently, that's a particular kind of mount. Based on my frantic googling, it seems like it's a 20mm bayonet mount... so maybe I could find something else that sort-of works?

[​IMG]

2. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

That is a lens for the LX-1 8mm camcorder. I bet it would work well on m43 if you can find an adaptor. A custom adaptor could be fabricated but you will need to know the backspace for this lens.

[​IMG]

3. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Even if you are able to find an adapter, I don't think this lens will project an image to cover the sensor. I would expect severe vignetting.

4. shan564

shan564 Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 30, 2011
    I'm sure it'll vignette at 8mm, but I was hoping to use it primarily as a fast zoom lens. I'm hoping it'll be fine for that.

5. punkman

punkman Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2011
    Europe
    This lens was made for 1/2" sensors, so you will probably have a lot of vignetting. The flange focal distance is 20mm so you will need a thin adapter. There is no other bayonet mount with the same or similar flange distance.

You could try attaching the lens to a spare m4/3 body cap. Probably won't get infinity focus, but if you like the result, you can find someone to make a brass or aluminum adapter for you.

6. shan564

shan564 Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 30, 2011
    I just got the lens... it almost mounts onto my m43 body without an adapter, interestingly enough... I'd just have to hold it to make sure it doesn't fall off, but it's stable enough so that it doesn't vibrate.

But there's one major problem... it doesn't have a manual aperture adjustment. The aperture is very small right now, and it seems like I can't adjust it without an original Canon camcorder... unless you guys know of a better way.

7. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Nope, using a Canon camcorder is the only way to adjust aperture. It's the same problem as with their EF lenses from the EOS SLRs. Electronic aperture control. This, along with the fact that even zoomed in extensively, you will have vignetting, is a reason to ditch this lens. We've all bought ebay finds that we thought we were stealing, only to realize there was a reason that other's weren't fighting you for it. Even C mount lenses, for 16mm cameras, vignette at sub-25mm, so your lens likely isn't usable even at the long end. Chalk it up as a lesson learned and re-list it.

8. shan564

shan564 Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 30, 2011
    Yeah, that's probably the best advice. I originally did think that this was for C-mount, which is why I thought it wouldn't vignette too badly... but when I found out about the auto aperture thing, I figured it was probably time to sell it regardless.

9. D´meti

D´meti New to Mu-43

Feb 6, 2012
    i got a canon ex2 camcorder Without any lenses..maybe u want 2 buy/sell? it has only been used for a couple off times and u can really tell from the look of it! i have it listed on a danish tradesite... Hi8mmvideocamcorder, Canon – dba.dk – Køb og Salg af Nyt og Brugt
    alot off ppl are asking . but wont buy because off the missing lens ! So do u want to sell ur lens for a fair price or maybe buy my cam?

10. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    Just because a lens is c-mount doesn't mean it's safe. C-mount lenses are used on 1/3", 1/2", 1" video and 8mm, super 8, 16mm and super 16mm film. Only lenses made for use on 1", super 16 and maybe 16mm will even have a chance of covering m4/3 sensors.

Fred

11. punkman

punkman Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2011
    Europe
    There are some 2/3" and 1/2" that get full coverage or very close to full coverage on M4/3. The Fujian 35mm f1.7 2/3" for example.