1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Canon User looking for M4/3

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by chefkenny, Mar 11, 2010.

1. chefkenny

chefkenny Mu-43 Regular

Mar 10, 2010
    Florida
    Hey I am new here and have been a Canon user for long time. Currently own 1Ds2/1D2/5D/and a old 20D plus some L lenses. After I read all those forums online and they all gave positive review on M4/3 systems,now I am trying to think about to sell all my Canon gears and jump into MFT.
    My question is I did some research online and couldn't find any useful info on used Olympus MFT,so if a used like new EP1 with 14-42 lens for us$500 is that a good deal? Don't laugh :)  I am really new on this MFT :) 
    Any input will be appreciated.

• Like Like x 2
  2. steve

steve Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2010
    Havertown, PA
    Welcome, ChefKenny.

I'm a Canon user as well. I've cut down my Canon gears to a 5Dmkii, 24-70 and 70-200 2.8 lenses and a couple of flashes. I started using a Panasonic GF1 with a 20mm 1.7 in January and love it. However, before you sell all of your Canon stuff, I will tell you that, although the image quality of micro four thirds is very good, it's not as good as you're going to get from your full frame Canons. So I use my Canon for critical stuff, like weddings, portraits, and wildlife. But I use my GF1 for fun.

As for used equipment, check the Buy/Sell forum here. There have been some good deals going.

All the best,

Steve

3. chefkenny

chefkenny Mu-43 Regular

Mar 10, 2010
    Florida
    Thanks Steve

I will keep my 5D or an Mk2 and I just sold my 24-70 and keep the 24-105 also 70-200 2.8 is and 4x 550 ex as well ( I have a sigma 24-60 2.8 and I like it a lot ). I did have some prime but not L so I will let them go too.

I am looking at Ebay they have a EP1 currently at 448 + 14 shipping and will end in 30 mins so I will try to see if I can get it under 500.

Thanks a lot

4. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

I'll add my welcome here, too, chefkenny. Let us know what happens, OK?

5. ahuyevshi

ahuyevshi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Chef, I'm also hardcore canon user. Sold off most of the stuff I used for personal shooting. Still have most of my Ls and ds3. With that said the Olympus is a great camera. However be mindful that it wont come close to the shadow detail of your ff bodies. That sounds like a pretty good deal to me. Although I'm not a fan of zooms

6. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    It's a good deal, but not an amazing one. The current new price at <a href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002CGSYKS?ie=UTF8&tag=mu43-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B002CGSYKS">Amazon</a>http://www.assoc-amazon.com/e/ir?t=mu43-20&l=as2&o=1&a=B002CGSYKS" width="1" height="1" border="0" alt="" style="border:none !important; margin:0px !important;" />
    is just under $650. If you got it, congrats, and if not, don't be too sad! For an even better deal, I would keep an eye on the "For Sale" board at FredMiranda.com, GetDPI.com, and here. Because of Ebay fees and the auction mentality, things tend to sell higher there. Also, I think a FredMiranda seller with a lot of good feedback or an established GetDPIer is going to be more reliable than the typical Ebay seller.

I too come from a Canon DSLR background. That one sold 24-70L will buy you a nice little MFT kit. You may not even like MFT, so take it slow! Just my 2 cents.

7. chefkenny

chefkenny Mu-43 Regular

Mar 10, 2010
    Florida
    Hey thanks all. I was out bided by $5 :mad: . I am thinking to get the EP1 and 2 also some lenses. After searching online for weeks and I just want to said I am tired to have lbs of metal hanging on my neck ( no funny if you have Ds with the 70-200/24-70 all day ). I love the details and how clear and clean of high iso from my Canons but just try to have something light for walk around. I will definitely save at least 1 Canon body for serious business :smile:.
    BTW how those PENs handle wireless flash?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I can sure relate to that! When you find a good deal, it's rare that someone else hasn't found it too. I've bid good money ($200 and up) on at least five different C-mount lenses, have never been outbid by more than 10 bucks, and have never won one either :frown:. Like I said, there are better deals to be had.

9. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Re your wireless flash question, check out this thread: https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=687&highlight=wireless I'm not the best repository of technical facts, but I believe the E-PL1 offers that, however the thread I referenced does speak to your question for the other two cameras, I believe. You can always post on that thread, too.

10. ahuyevshi

ahuyevshi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    A little pocket wizard action with the Pen

4420809745_7b09708e90_b.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

11. Camerafrog

Camerafrog Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2010
    The µ4/3 cameras are awesome for their size. I was very impressed initially, but sadly my enthusiasm faded pretty quickly and I now only use mine when I really can't bring the DSLR. So yes, definitely keep some of your Canon gear for at least half a year or so, until you're completely sure you're not going to miss it.

12. chefkenny

chefkenny Mu-43 Regular

Mar 10, 2010
    Florida
    WOW, this is a very active and helpful forum. I have no regret to join. THANKS ALL GUYS.
    Some of my friends are going to give me some old lenses they have in their garage for years, so I will check them out before I buy my PENs.

• Like Like x 1
  13. hohoho

hohoho Mu-43 Regular

Jan 24, 2010
    Tokyo
    Do you really need all that glass? how about one Canon body, one Canon lens?

14. vincechu

vincechu Mu-43 Regular

Oh btw make sure you go to a store and try handling some of the Micro Four Thirds bodies, I know some people cant get used to not having a built in viewfinder or find the bodies strange to hold, as the E-P1/2 and GF1 don't have much of a grip compared to traditional SLRs, perhaps a G1/GH1 would be a good option in that case.

Hope this helps in some way ;-)

Vince

oh and $500usd would be a great deal for the EP1 and kit lense, but then again I'm from the UK and the GBP is good against the USD ;-)

15. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Welcome to yhis wonderful community. I recommend G1 because of fast AF, hi res EVF, good grip, articulated screen. New G1 plus 14-45 lens sells for EURO 375 in The Netherlands. Or wait for G2 / G10 from Pan.

16. chefkenny

chefkenny Mu-43 Regular

Mar 10, 2010
    Florida
    Hey HOHOHO
    The 24-xx and 70-xxx for my Canon are both my home studio workhorses. For lighting I used 4X 550ex and 580ex ( portable for me ). the 20D I got was a stealing deal I had last year ( with the 24-70L ), that someone went to the local shop for selling it. The shop only offer him $500 lol, and I stopped him and asked him how much he want and he said $600 with one 550 ex :)  so I paid him and ran home with smile ( I sold the 24-70L for $1050 - UV date code ).
    So for that money I try to see if I can snap a PEN with some glasses and my wireless Flash setup then I can use it on some small location ( mostly restaurants,food and local magazine advertising ) shooting.

17. chefkenny

chefkenny Mu-43 Regular

Mar 10, 2010
    Florida
    Just ordered my EP1 with kit lens plus Panny 20/1.7 also 2 adapter for MD/MC and OM to MTF. We will see everything next week :) 

18. chefkenny

chefkenny Mu-43 Regular

Mar 10, 2010
    Florida
    Just got my EP1 today, sweet little camera :) 

Some quick test shots:
    attachment.php?attachmentid=586&thumb=1.jpg

View image in gallery

attachment.php?attachmentid=587&thumb=1.jpg

View image in gallery

attachment.php?attachmentid=588&thumb=1.jpg

View image in gallery

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.