Canon User looking for M4/3

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by chefkenny, Mar 11, 2010.

1. chefkenny

chefkenny Mu-43 Regular

Mar 10, 2010
    Florida
    Hey I am new here and have been a Canon user for long time. Currently own 1Ds2/1D2/5D/and a old 20D plus some L lenses. After I read all those forums online and they all gave positive review on M4/3 systems,now I am trying to think about to sell all my Canon gears and jump into MFT.
    My question is I did some research online and couldn't find any useful info on used Olympus MFT,so if a used like new EP1 with 14-42 lens for us$500 is that a good deal? Don't laugh :) I am really new on this MFT :)
    Any input will be appreciated.

• Like Like x 2
  2. hodad66

hodad66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 27, 2010
    Indialantic, Florida
  3. steve

steve Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2010
    Havertown, PA
    Welcome, ChefKenny.

I'm a Canon user as well. I've cut down my Canon gears to a 5Dmkii, 24-70 and 70-200 2.8 lenses and a couple of flashes. I started using a Panasonic GF1 with a 20mm 1.7 in January and love it. However, before you sell all of your Canon stuff, I will tell you that, although the image quality of micro four thirds is very good, it's not as good as you're going to get from your full frame Canons. So I use my Canon for critical stuff, like weddings, portraits, and wildlife. But I use my GF1 for fun.

As for used equipment, check the Buy/Sell forum here. There have been some good deals going.

All the best,

Steve

4. chefkenny

chefkenny Mu-43 Regular

Mar 10, 2010
    Florida
    Thanks Steve

I will keep my 5D or an Mk2 and I just sold my 24-70 and keep the 24-105 also 70-200 2.8 is and 4x 550 ex as well ( I have a sigma 24-60 2.8 and I like it a lot ). I did have some prime but not L so I will let them go too.

I am looking at Ebay they have a EP1 currently at 448 + 14 shipping and will end in 30 mins so I will try to see if I can get it under 500.

Thanks a lot

5. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

I'll add my welcome here, too, chefkenny. Let us know what happens, OK?

6. ahuyevshi

ahuyevshi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Chef, I'm also hardcore canon user. Sold off most of the stuff I used for personal shooting. Still have most of my Ls and ds3. With that said the Olympus is a great camera. However be mindful that it wont come close to the shadow detail of your ff bodies. That sounds like a pretty good deal to me. Although I'm not a fan of zooms

7. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    It's a good deal, but not an amazing one. The current new price at <a href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002CGSYKS?ie=UTF8&tag=mu43-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B002CGSYKS">Amazon</a>http://www.assoc-amazon.com/e/ir?t=mu43-20&l=as2&o=1&a=B002CGSYKS" width="1" height="1" border="0" alt="" style="border:none !important; margin:0px !important;" />
    is just under $650. If you got it, congrats, and if not, don't be too sad! For an even better deal, I would keep an eye on the "For Sale" board at FredMiranda.com, GetDPI.com, and here. Because of Ebay fees and the auction mentality, things tend to sell higher there. Also, I think a FredMiranda seller with a lot of good feedback or an established GetDPIer is going to be more reliable than the typical Ebay seller.

I too come from a Canon DSLR background. That one sold 24-70L will buy you a nice little MFT kit. You may not even like MFT, so take it slow! Just my 2 cents.

8. chefkenny

chefkenny Mu-43 Regular

Mar 10, 2010
    Florida
    Hey thanks all. I was out bided by $5 :mad:. I am thinking to get the EP1 and 2 also some lenses. After searching online for weeks and I just want to said I am tired to have lbs of metal hanging on my neck ( no funny if you have Ds with the 70-200/24-70 all day ). I love the details and how clear and clean of high iso from my Canons but just try to have something light for walk around. I will definitely save at least 1 Canon body for serious business :smile:.
    BTW how those PENs handle wireless flash?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I can sure relate to that! When you find a good deal, it's rare that someone else hasn't found it too. I've bid good money ($200 and up) on at least five different C-mount lenses, have never been outbid by more than 10 bucks, and have never won one either :frown:. Like I said, there are better deals to be had.

10. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Re your wireless flash question, check out this thread: https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=687&highlight=wireless I'm not the best repository of technical facts, but I believe the E-PL1 offers that, however the thread I referenced does speak to your question for the other two cameras, I believe. You can always post on that thread, too.

11. ahuyevshi

ahuyevshi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    A little pocket wizard action with the Pen

4420809745_7b09708e90_b.

12. Camerafrog

Camerafrog Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2010
    The ยต4/3 cameras are awesome for their size. I was very impressed initially, but sadly my enthusiasm faded pretty quickly and I now only use mine when I really can't bring the DSLR. So yes, definitely keep some of your Canon gear for at least half a year or so, until you're completely sure you're not going to miss it.

13. chefkenny

chefkenny Mu-43 Regular

Mar 10, 2010
    Florida
    WOW, this is a very active and helpful forum. I have no regret to join. THANKS ALL GUYS.
    Some of my friends are going to give me some old lenses they have in their garage for years, so I will check them out before I buy my PENs.

• Like Like x 1
  14. hohoho

hohoho Mu-43 Regular

Jan 24, 2010
    Tokyo
    Do you really need all that glass? how about one Canon body, one Canon lens?

15. vincechu

vincechu Mu-43 Regular

Oh btw make sure you go to a store and try handling some of the Micro Four Thirds bodies, I know some people cant get used to not having a built in viewfinder or find the bodies strange to hold, as the E-P1/2 and GF1 don't have much of a grip compared to traditional SLRs, perhaps a G1/GH1 would be a good option in that case.

Hope this helps in some way ;-)

Vince

oh and $500usd would be a great deal for the EP1 and kit lense, but then again I'm from the UK and the GBP is good against the USD ;-)

16. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Welcome to yhis wonderful community. I recommend G1 because of fast AF, hi res EVF, good grip, articulated screen. New G1 plus 14-45 lens sells for EURO 375 in The Netherlands. Or wait for G2 / G10 from Pan.

17. chefkenny

chefkenny Mu-43 Regular

Mar 10, 2010
    Florida
    Hey HOHOHO
    The 24-xx and 70-xxx for my Canon are both my home studio workhorses. For lighting I used 4X 550ex and 580ex ( portable for me ). the 20D I got was a stealing deal I had last year ( with the 24-70L ), that someone went to the local shop for selling it. The shop only offer him $500 lol, and I stopped him and asked him how much he want and he said $600 with one 550 ex :) so I paid him and ran home with smile ( I sold the 24-70L for $1050 - UV date code ).
    So for that money I try to see if I can snap a PEN with some glasses and my wireless Flash setup then I can use it on some small location ( mostly restaurants,food and local magazine advertising ) shooting.

18. chefkenny

chefkenny Mu-43 Regular

Mar 10, 2010
    Florida
    Just ordered my EP1 with kit lens plus Panny 20/1.7 also 2 adapter for MD/MC and OM to MTF. We will see everything next week :)

19. chefkenny

chefkenny Mu-43 Regular

Mar 10, 2010
    Florida