Canon to release new product "next year"

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by jeremyv10, Jul 6, 2011.

1. jeremyv10

jeremyv10 New to Mu-43

May 9, 2011
  2. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Classic market dynamics at work. Canon is making so much money with their current dSLR/compact strategy that they see no compelling need for mirrorless, but they try to 'freeze' the market (and discourage defections) with statements like this.

Because of who they are, Canon will make a big splash when they enter. The only question is whether early players like Panny and Oly have enough of a technical head start for there to be a tangible difference...
  3. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    To me, as long as every other brand comes out with APS-C based mirrorless cameras, which mean larger lenses, :43: will continue to have a strong presence in the market. The bodies for either sensor can't get any smaller and still be usable, so the lenses will be the key differentiator on size/weight. Other brands will create greater competition for the higher-end :43: cameras (GH series and, when they come, GF pros and Oly pros) based on performance, but I can't see any other system letting me carry the body, a set of small primes (14, 20, 45) and couple of zooms (14-45 or 14-42, and a longer zoom) in a small bag. That and the head start should be enough to keep them going for a long time.
  4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    I kind of agree

As recently as 6 months ago I was not willing to invest too much in m43 for fear of the system longevity. Ep1, 20mm and 14-150 was it

With the latest round of lens announcements, i think they are proving the format, and the seeming quality of the new PL25, mZD45 and mZD12 is very exciting, and the g3 and ep3/epl3 are much better bodies.

Time will tell over the next couple of months, but I know I'm planning (and preordered) a large sum of equipment with an eye to possibly replace my 5d. Canon will always have the working pro such as sports and studio shooters, but m43 is a very nice size sweet spot, and if the new lenses are very good, then they'll have proved the technology, too.
  5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Huh? 6 months ago there were:

Olympus PEN bodies: E-P1, E-P2, E-PL1, E-PL2
    m.Zuiko lenses: 17mm, 14-42mm (original and MSC), 40-150mm MSC, 14-150mm MSC, 9-18mm MSC, 75-300mm MSC
    Panasonic Bodies: G1, GH1, G2, GH2, GF1, GF2
    Lumix G Lenses: 20mm, 14mm, 14-140mm, 14-42mm, 14-45mm, 12.5mm 3D, Leica 45mm, 7-14mm, 8mm fisheye, 45-200mm, 100-300mm
    Plus a slough of other brands such as the Cosina/Voigtlander 25mm, Samyang/Vivitar 7.5mm fisheye, and Wanderlust 9mm Pinwide, with new brands being added to the consortium on a regular basis.

Now two years ago when I got my first E-P1 was another story. Then there was only the Panasonic G1, Panasonic GH1, Olympus E-P1 PEN, m.Zuiko 14-42mm, m.Zuiko 17mm, Lumix 14-45mm, and Lumix 14-140mm. There might have been a couple more Lumix lenses, but until the Digital PEN I wasn't that interested in Micro Four-Thirds. Plus there were two versions of Four-Thirds adapters (Panasonic DMW-MA1 and Olympus MMF-1) which allowed me to use any of the over 25 Four-Thirds lenses with full electronic compatibility.

In two years since Olympus entered the Micro Four-Thirds market with a revolutionary design, wow has it ever grown... and now we can add the Leica 25mm, m.Zuiko 12mm, and m.Zuiko 45mm. I consider Four-Thirds to be like native lenses, so that includes over 50 lenses, half Micro Four-Thirds and half Four-Thirds. That's before tapping into the manual focus legacy lens market of over 500 lenses. Micro Four-Thirds grew into a really strong system since 6 months after the release of the original Digital PEN, by the time the E-P2 and GF-1 came out, along with the Lumix 20mm f/1.7.
  6. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Out of all the lenses you mentioned only the 20 was exceptional AND well priced. Additionally Panny and Oly were just overlapping each other.

PL45 and 7-14 are solid but over priced, and the zooms aren't great on these little bodies.

GH series is a great set, but gf is backpedaling and Oly seemed very lost 6 months ago.

I stand by my original statement. Pinwides, a large 7.5mm FE, and an approaching $1500 MF cv are not bread and butter lenses. The new releases are. Up to six months ago, the system IMO was still on the edge, and could have been unseated, but these new releases solidify it.