1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

'Canon To Release Another EOS M Mirrorless Body'

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by RT_Panther, Nov 16, 2012.

1. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    They've released the Canon E-P1, so now we'll get the Canon G1. Why by 2015 the cameras might even be usable!

• Like Like x 2
  2. svtquattro

svtquattro Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 24, 2012
    Vancouver, Canada
    This made me laugh. See the digitalrev.com review of the EOS M? Haha.

3. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    Despite all it's shortcomings and rather high price, the EOS-M is already in the top 10 selling mirrorless cameras.

4. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    I bought an EOS M and it's a pretty nice camera. Except for the slow focus speed with the 22mm f2 "kit lens" the interface and handling are very nice. Also, the 22mm is the equal (in my unscientific testing) to the 20mm for sharpness. Don't underestimate the system, even with the old ass 18mp sensor, the 2 native lenses are better than any kit stuff produced by Olympus/Panasonic (with the exception of the GF1-20mm kit). I flipped the camera/lens/adapter after trying it for a week, but am way more impressed with it than say the Nikon 1 system.

5. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    I'm very interested to see what the new mirrorless body looks like. The only thing that excited me about the EOS M was that the mount existed (i.e., there was a series under development.) The new body might actually make it an attractive line to look into (like the Fuji X-line is calling to me enough as it is.)

As for the DSLRs, I know that the 7D is older, but I was hoping to see a 65D. Perhaps, with the 650D inching up toward the 60D in capability and the 7D replacement possibly getting a new naming scheme, they will go to two bodies in the crop-sensor family. I suspect that at some point, the lowest-level model will be a mirrorless body similar to the G5/GH3. Maybe, that will even be this new mirrorless body that they are talking about.

6. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    If I was going APS-C, I'd go Sony. I don't find the M system that compelling yet to warrant investment. The only think keeping me to Olympus is the IBIS and jpeg processing!

7. zapatista

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    I agree, I'd go back to Nex if I felt the need for APS-C and 3:2 orientation. I've taken more than 1500 frames with the Sony Zeiss 24mm f1.8 (~$1,000) on both Nex7 and Nex 5N bodies and again, the 22mm kit lens from Canon is smaller and just as good. Never underestimate cheap, really good glass. Plus it is a lot smaller. I'm beginning to sound like a cheerleader.

However, I'm stuck on the m43/OM-D mainly because of lenses IBIS and very very nice files (close enough to current gen NEX stuff).

8. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Ah, that'll be down to the name. :wink:

9. goldenlight

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    That doesn't sound too much of a penance, in fact it looks like a rather compelling list of advantages over other systems. :biggrin:

10. Zariell

Zariell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    Bountiful, UT
    I had and loved my Canon gear, this would have excited me "IF" it would have come out before I sold all my gear to move to mother Olympus. As it stands now I see no reason to ever go back.

I do think more mirror less cameras in the pool is good though, more competition usually makes for more and better products, since one company wants to be the best.

11. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I disagree. It may be a fine camera, but with only 2 native lenses I don't see how it can reasonably be called a system at this stage.

12. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Which means at some point in their entire history, the name "Canon" became synonymous with quality & no reason not to purchase. (Like Rolex, & a few other brands that have managed to reach this status).

In the endoscope world, the name "Olympus" is synonomous with quality & hence why Olympus dominates in that market and people buy on the Olympus name brand too.

So we have to ask ourselves what happened in the camera market?

13. goldenlight

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    I don't disagree, but I still say it's the name that is selling the EOS M rather than "quality and no reason not to purchase." Hopefully future models will be more innovative, better specified and have the support of a greater native lens line up, then we will be able to say that sales are based on merit. You can only trade on your good name for so long, as Olympus discovered when they failed to update the OM system in the wake of the autofocus revolution.

14. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Might also be Canon owners purchasing it too that would only need to invest into an adapter rather than having to have to purchase a whole new slew of lenses for another brand system :smile:

15. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Addendum:
    Look at the amount of Olympus Four Thirds owners who are still waiting for a decent adapter to work on their Four Thirds lenses before they would invest in the OMD body :smile:

16. zapatista

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    Fair enough, though the same thing could have been said 4 years ago about m43. Also, the EF adapter works well.

17. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    As I have stated again, I find the EOS M an arrogant and mildly insulting project by Canon, which if, in 2012, came from another manufacturer, it would be the most hillarious joke in Photography world.

I know a mix of gear-curious users plus a lot of consumers who don't know any better will make it a best seller, but that only helps in hating it even more.

• Like Like x 1