1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Canon to launch a decent mirrorless camera

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by pdk42, Sep 7, 2016.

1. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
  2. dalto

dalto Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2016
    Texas
    For me, for a Canon mirrorless offering to be interesting it would need to be FF. Not because I have some love affair with FF but because all Canon's best lenses are targeted at FF on the wide to normal side of the equation.

3. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I guess an FF full-frame would be nice, but in the meantime there are a lot of EFS lenses that are very decent. I assume they'll be usable with an adapter. There are already a small number of M lenses available that are of good optical quality. I personally think that if done correctly (after two failed attempts with the EOS-Ms) Canon could make a big impact on the Sony APSC and u43 market.

4. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Canon has some great EOS M lenses already. And any of their STM lenses should adapt very well. The 50mm f1.8 STM and 40mm f2.8 STM would both be decent short portrait primes.

I hope they finally use that dual pixel AF.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  5. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    "Canon to launch a decent mirrorless camera".

I'll reserve that kind of judgment for when I get to actually use one and see. :D

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. dalto

dalto Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2016
    Texas
    There are a handful of adequate ef-s lenses but all there best lenses and most of their new product announcements are focused on ef mount lenses and focal lengths appropriate for FF. Also, buying expensive Canon ef-s mount lenses always seems like a waste to me. It just feels like at some point the mount will get dropped. Luckily, there are only a couple of ef-s lenses that are expensive but they are also some of the best.

I shoot mostly in the uwa to normal range which is where APS-C suffers on Canon. The best zooms all become awkward focal lengths.

7. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Hard to imagine EF-S will ever be dropped (unless EF also will be), as >85% of the ILC cameras that Canon sells are EF-S.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. tkbslc

You just aren't familiar with the system it appears.

9. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Looks like a step in the right direction. They should slap the Rebel label on it, and watch it become a hit.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Yea, I meant to add a question mark on the thread title!

11. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    lol...I kid...I kid...honestly, I'm hoping this is a serious entry into the mirrorless market for one of the big 2.

12. dalto

dalto Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2016
    Texas
    If you excluded kit lenses I wonder what the sales statistics would be on ef-s lenses compared to ef lenses.

I am not sure exactly what you mean but I have been a Canon user for 13 years. I have owned at least 7 different ef-s mount APS-C bodies and either have owned or used extensively virtually every ef-s lens Canon has ever made. On the FF/EF side I have about 20 EF mount lenses and have owned many more over the years.

What I found was that Canon's best lenses, especially zoom lenses in the UW to normal range range result in awkward focal ranges. Canon's best zoom lenses in the range IMO are the modern variations of the 16-35 and the 24-70.

The only "decent" ef-s lenses in similar focal ranges are the 10-22, 15-85 and 17-55 but those are not of the same quality and performance of the above lenses. On the prime side things are even worse. There are only a couple of ef-s primes even made the widest of which is 24mm. The ef-s 60mm macro is actually quite good, the only ef-s lens it hurt to get rid of for me.

13. InlawBiker

InlawBiker Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    Greg
    I would look forward to seeing a Canon mirrorless camera that works well. If they keep working on that dual-pixel concept, eventually it'll be fast enough to really use. Looking at the new 5D-IV, live-view AF it seems like they got it down pretty well. If I understand how it works that is.

What I'd be worried about is holding back features to up-sell their other stuff like they tend to do.

14. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    If it has Dual-Pixel AF and the 80D sensor, it should be a pretty competent camera, really. Dynamic range will finally be on par with M4/3, and low-light slightly better.

The issue, as always, is lenses, but if they sell their adapter cheaply enough and it works transparently, you'll at least be able to use a few of the decent, affordable STM lenses (24/2.8, 50/1.8, 40/2.8, 55-250 IS, 60/2.8 Macro) to complement the decent native options like the 22/f2 and 11-22mm. Not a hugely versatile system, but usable for many people.

15. tkbslc

@dalto@dalto Obviously you are familiar with the system, but you forgot all the great third party options. Tokina has the 11-16 f2.8 and 14-20 f2.0. Sigma has the 18-35 f2.0 and 17-50 f2.8 OS. Tamron has some great lenses in there, too. I'd also argue that from an output standpoint, the 10-22, 15-85 and 17-55 are as good as the slightly older FF L zooms (17-40, 24-105 and 24-70)

I do agree there are few wide primes, but Sigma and Tamron have release fairly affordable f1.8 and f2.0 zooms covering down to 28 and 20mm equivalent. So that covers quite a bit. I guess it is to be be foreseen how well the third party stuff would focus.

Obviously many of the DSLR lenses are huge, but so were the FF lenses you talked of.

16. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Seems it's got a good old tilting-only screen :)

Canon M5 Mirrorless Camera Photos and Specs Leaked

http://flip.it/YJph43

• Like Like x 1
  17. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    It looks interesting. It would be nice to have easy access to all of those nice, used Canon lenses. Fifth time's a charm...lol.

Choice is good, variety is good, competition is good. I hope it's a home run.

18. DanS

DanS Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 8, 2016
    Central IL
    And they dropped the ball!

"FullHD video recording"

19. dalto

dalto Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2016
    Texas
    Now I definitely won't be getting one ;)

On a more serious note, the lack of a dial in the front is an interesting design decision.

20. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    What, you actually expected them to put 4K in this camera? Hell, they just implemented it in a $3500 camera, and it's crippled already!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1