1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Canon: the Power of Brand

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by WT21, Jul 15, 2013.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    /start rant/

I don't know if I can stand it anymore, lol.

Over on the big Canon forum (POTN), it seems that many people have just discovered mirrorles (or more specifically, seem to think Canon has invented mirrorless):

EOS M Owners Post Your Pictures - Canon Digital Photography Forums

Epitomizing this "wow, Canon just invented mirrorless" is this video (among others -- don't mean to pick on the guy. He seems smart and enthusiastic): [ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B24YKx15nmM]Canon EOS M Review - YouTube[/ame]

I like the breathy comparison to the iPhone with regard to size, and excited talk about shooting RAW and the warning that there's no viewfinder, and that you use the LCD (imagine that!). The video above is actually pretty balanced (see his cons at the end), but to talk about this camera without talking about any mirrorless options from all the other vendors, just comes across as ignorance (perhaps not purposeful -- maybe just because the world outside of Canon doesn't exist).

The whole thread is like the early days of mu-43. Discovering native lenses. Learning the limits of large focus point box, etc.

Now, even if you argued that m43 has a smaller sensor, still NEX has been doing smaller cameras than the EOS for years, with a BIGGER sensor.

The upside (to me): If Canon's PDAF on a chip comes to the EOS-Mii, then we are talking something, but if you've seen any of the videos of the EOS-M focusing, even after the FW upgrade, you'd know what these 1Dx users are missing. Kai did a video testing the EOS-M AF (after FW upgrade) to mirrorless, and couldn't even get it to focus on black and white text ("how much more contrast do you want" Kai asked).

Canon seems to be moving a lot of EOS-M at their new $299 price point, and the 22mm looks sweet. So, they could end up actually creating a sizable mirrorless market, if their PDAF chip works as good as the videos I've seen of the 70D, and that'd be great. It's just crazy, though, to see how many people think Canon has invented the space, with a Machine that is on-par with the 4+ years old GF1 or EP1, albeit with a slightly better sensor.

/rant over/

2. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Interesting Bill :smile: I was shooting with OMD on a beach in Mauritius and a local guy happily posed for me but immediately commented that I should get Canon if I am serious about photography and this is brand power . It was useless to waste my time educating him about Olympus and concept of MFT :biggrin:

3. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    It doesn't really surprise me at all that Canon is receiving a huge amount of viral marketing for the EOS-M. At US$299 for the EOS-M + 22 2.0 it is offering a very powerful value proposition which is hard to ignore. The 22 2.0 by itself is probably a US$300 lens.

I suspect that the EP5 +17 1.8 is 10% better all round but I don't see how Olympus expects people to talk about it, let alone buy it when it is retailing fot US$1,200.

4. merosen

merosen Mu-43 Regular

Jun 14, 2012
    Somerville (Boston), MA
    Mark
    there selling them at a low price point because no one was buying them at the original price, can you say "selling off inventory"
    and if there is new model in the wings, is Canon smart enough to put a viewfinder on it?

5. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Absolutely -that is my point. Everyone is talking about the EOS M because of its price not because it is a Canon. Nobody was the slightest bit interested when it was selling for over US$800.

6. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    It happens. Brand is very powerful. Lots of brands have mind share in the mass market that exceeds the brand's reputation among enthusiasts. I ride, but I don't ride a Harley - if my bike sounded like that I'd take it the shop. I don't play a Steinway - never played one I liked. I'll never own a Rolex - too gaudy. etc.

And Apple didn't invent the smartphone either.

So, if Canon's entry into the EVIL market raises awareness in the public, maybe that will mean good things for everyone in the long run.

7. PhilS

PhilS Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 24, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Phil Savory
    its whats called a "loss leader" then

8. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    Too bad it took Canon practically giving them away for Canon shooters to notice...

When the next M models come out (if they do in the US) at a normal price point we'll see how enthusiastic they still are.

9. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Maybe you are correct. Maybe I should have titled the thread "Canon, the power of mark downs"

So, I'll agree that the new-found popularity of the M is strongly correlated to it's price. However, my other point was that it's kind of funny that Canon users are talking like mirrorless is new (it's new to many of them, of course), and they almost talk like Canon invented it. But I agree, price is the reason for the buying bubble.

Also note, the EOS-M + 22mm/2.0 lens is cheaper than most all other fast 35mm options in mirrorless. It's even less than current retail price for an EPM1 + Olympus 17mm 2.8 (the old 17mm lens)

10. Blotzphoto

Blotzphoto Mu-43 Regular

May 25, 2012
    Cincinnati
    Lou Doench
    I try not to be tribal, but there's no way anyone who wants to make a jump from family snaps to "shutterbug" or serious amatuer should ever touch a Canon. Pentax, Nikon... anyone else. My little brother, who followed me thru Antonelli's and actually has a pro career in the works shoots Canon and every time I pick up his rig (5dMK11) it feels like it was designed by freaking space aliens with more fingers than us mere humans.

11. Bhupinder2002

Ok .. IMHO .. Canon can only generate interest if they come up with newer EOS M with 70D sensor and add few more basic lenses to the system . An other option is to offer something like Nikon CoolpixA or a FF sensor in Sony Rx1 style body . Sorry Canon .. Mirrorless only reminds us of Sony NEx, MFt, Samsung NX and Nikon I series :tongue:
    Cheers

12. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Hey. We Extraterrestrial-Americans are offended by this kind of talk.:rofl:

The original reviews of the EOS were terrible mainly because of the slow AF. Then they took almost a year to release a firmware update. (Really, a company the size of Canon can't do this faster?) Then in a short period they essentially fix the AF and drop the price to $299. There's a fire sale and, since it's not a bad camera anymore, everyone feels really good because they got a bargain. The trick now is if they will be seduced to to the dark side, i.e., mirrorless. I suspect many will, since they really don't need a Rebel-Class DSLR for what they do and the EOS M will be easy to tote around. (Boy, those Star Wars metaphors are really good here :fantastisch_01:) Of course, the fact that Canon won't even sell the new lenses in the US completely undermines that explanation. Thanks for reading.

13. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I look at it like this.
    Everyone who on the one hand, has poked fun at Canon but yet on the other recently purchased one of discounted EOS-Ms' has in effect, contributed to the marketing might of Canon by giving them your cash - even if it was at a discount price...

14. ...but because they paid only $300 they can think that they're kicking Canon in the guts even though Canon still got their money in the end. Everybody wins!

15. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    :nutkick0: Not making a comment, I just always wanted to use that smilie.

I wonder what the actual cost of the EOS M was to Canon?

16. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    As long as there's no moaning about Canon's name brand might.....especially when "you" gave them your money for an EOS-M :smile:

17. Bhupinder2002

Ok .. Lets b honest about it ..
    I handled one at a local camera store before going ahead with the purchase My impression is ..
    1) it's a well made camera , very good construction and feels solid in hands
    2) superb Touch screen and very good UI
    3)Canon APS-C sensor is quite good and does a good job
    4) Lastly AF is a leaf out of Fuji's book :wink::wink: . In day time like Fuji X100 and at night like Fuji X100s ( Fuji X100 focuses faster at night :wink:) .
    Actually it was quite acceptable .
    I will never ever dump money on a dead product . I think this camera was slightly over priced and proper price should have been around USD399-699 with various options .
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

18. aaronlongphoto

aaronlongphoto Mu-43 Regular

Apr 2, 2013
    Louisville KY
    Aaron Long
    I highly doubt that Canon will make another M or even put out more lenses for it. I asked the Canon.Rep at the M before it hit market and how much canon was gonna put into it.

He told me that Canon was only putting out the M because everyone kept asking.for one. So they dumped it out to keep people quite untill the sl1 came out.

He said there probably wont be any additions to the M being that Canon really isn't into the mirrorless technology yet.

I think we will be seeing alot more sl1 related body's using the regular Canon mount with a mirror then a in depth mirrorless system with the Canon name on it.

With all that being said I am just going by what I herd from my Canon Rep at my work so to me this is just speculation.

Sent from my ADR3010 using Mu-43 mobile app

19. Bhupinder2002

There are rumours for EOS M II and I think they will go ahead .
    Cheers

20. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken