1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Canon T4i 40mm f/2.8 vs. E-pl1 45mm f/1.8

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by littleMT, Jul 14, 2012.

1. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    some carwash shot comparisions shot last night...

first up, the Canon T4i and the 40mm pancake:

1.)
    ccw-1.

2.)
    ccw-3.

3.)
    ccw-4.

4.)
    ccw-7.

Now for the E-pl1 and 45mm f/1.8 prime..

5.)
    ccw45-1.

6.)
    ccw45-2.

7.)
    ccw45-3.

• Like Like x 4
  2. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Hmmm. For some reason I prefer the Oly shots. Just seems there's something special about them. As any Oly owner, might I be biased? :wink: I do really like the shot with the water spray, Canon or no. :smile:

3. asaulo1

asaulo1 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 21, 2012
    I kind of prefer the canon.... i'm comparing shots 2 and 5... but then again, it looks like no. 2 is more underexposed than the oly....

4. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    The white balance and exposures seem very different between the two. I am liking the T4i shots much more.

• Like Like x 1
  5. drp

drp Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2010
    Virginia, USA
    David
    +1 to twokatmew's reply

6. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    I agree that white balance and exposure differences complicate the comparisons.

How about a comparison outdoors during the daytime? It's possible that while a T4i may do better in a low, artificial light situation, it may be inferior in a bright outdoor natural light situation.

7. TheCreativeD00m

TheCreativeD00m Mu-43 Regular

Jul 9, 2012
    Fort Worth, Tx
    back from the dead (just comparing something online and this popped up) the t4i seems to be pulling a lot more detail than the oly look at the front tire, it almost looks fuzzy. Could be the aperture? The t4i just has more pop.

8. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    if you ask me what i prefer between those shots. Canon.

9. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

??? I see the opposite..Oly and 45 mm 1.8 shine and more detail.

10. Brodie337

Brodie337 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2012
    I've played with both of these lenses, although I've played much much more with the Canon on my 60D. It's an awesome little lens, with amazing quality for something of that size and price. Completely blew me away and I was sad to give it back.

11. tardegardo

tardegardo Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 3, 2012
    Rome, Italy
    Canon looks better, to me at least.
    But the 45mm f1.8 had to mounted on a Omd e-m5 for the test to be fair.

12. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    Well if you say that then I want a 40mm on a 1dx if you want a flagship to flagship. jus sayin...

IMO, Canon, the color/wb where as tyhe Oly's are flat in comparison. I can't get past that. If saw these in B+W I may change my opnion.

13. tardegardo

tardegardo Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 3, 2012
    Rome, Italy
    makes sense

14. anedar

anedar New to Mu-43

Jan 3, 2012
    Rome, Italy
    Andrea
    No, in my opinion. I own both cameras (some kind...T2i and EPL-3) and performed hundreds of comparisons. Canon wins. Not a large margin, but wins.

15. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    I have owned the Cannon 40d, T2i and of course the t4i.

After all my testing, I dumped the t4i and have divorced Canon for good.

there was a time when this is all I would have purchased, but they have become stale, uninspired, boring, unimaganitive.

sure, people still take quality images with this brand, but for me it helps
    to have a camera that has some soul, some mojo, which the crappy e-pl1 did over any canon I owned.

my t4i has been replaced with a OMD E-5.

so again, just my opinion, but the brick of a canon which lulled me to sleep as it was so boring and uninspiring, with files that technically were good, were drab, dull, especially during the day. The color signiture, look, 3d pop, mojo, and soul from my crappy e-pl1, the lean, mean picture taking machine, kicked my t4i to the curb.

Besides, I have a Sony A65, which simply destroys the Canon rebel series of cameras.... Sony though is daring to be differen't, bring different things to market, they are innovative, inspiring...

Canon likes to rehash the same old sensor in different bodies, or slight upgrades such as the new t4i sensor more dedicated to video, which the Sony A65 is still superior in this regard.

well they finally bored me to death.

yet I have excitement with a old, crappy, 12 megapixel, full of faults, e-pl1, which awards me with images that have a wow factor at times, rather then the drab canon signiture.

the t4i kinda sucked for pitch darkness night shots btw, which was the fail nail in their coffin as far as I was concerned.

a shame that a refurb $119 e-pl1 could produce files in this setting much easier then the flagship rebel..

canon, i'm done..

e-pl1, show some color and mojo:

1109-11.

1109-7.

now onward to see what the OMD does for me, should arrive today.

16. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I used to own T2i and was just comparing Raws to my new E-PM2. I strongly believe E-PM2 is superior in noise handling and dynamic range. The amount of processing E-PM2 files can take in ACR (release candidate) is quite a bit more compared to T2i files. But yes, T2i files are superior than E-PL2 and E-PM1. T2i retains color in low light much better and also has better tonality evident in portrait shots whereas E-PL2 files are just flat. Fine skin details/tonal range is totally lost with E-Pl2 above ISO400 regardless of lens. Having said all that, nobody really needs anything better than T2i, its sensor is definitely not going to be a limiting factor. While DSLRs hit the ceiling quite some years ago, it took the arrival of OM-D sensor to hit that ceiling in m43 land. We all know that 12MP Panasonic sensor was obsolete and uncompetitive when it was first introduced, let alone 4 years later.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App

17. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I agree about the 12MP sensor, but would argue it was the Panny 16MP sensors (G3, GH2) are the ones that closed the gap, and Olympus finally "caught up" with the OMD Sony sensor

18. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I had G3 for a while and still much preferred output from T2i

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App

19. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    And after using the little crappy panasonic sensor in my e-pl1, I ditched the t2i, as I much prefered the output, the color, the sharpness found in many of my photos posted here. Still liking canon though I got the t4i, and as said previously, thats gone now.

20. TheCreativeD00m

TheCreativeD00m Mu-43 Regular

Jul 9, 2012
    Fort Worth, Tx
    #5 #6 & 7 looks almost blurry (the olympus images). Look at the wheels and the front emblem. The photos are very flat like someone said when compared to the t4i. The exposures are different on the two cameras so it's a little harder to see on the t4i. I'm no Canon fan boy, just pointing out what I perceive. Please point out where you see more detail. (also the photos on the top are from the Canon just in case you read it wrong)

LMT, yeah the OM-D is great. I use it for a magazine I work for. I've never heard a complaint yet ;)