Canon T3 vs G3 vs ??

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by musicmaster, Dec 1, 2012.

1. musicmaster

musicmaster Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 19, 2012
    Currently have a E-PL1. Nice little camera, but poor focusing speed, high ISO etc.

I'm thinking of getting a G3 that's on sale as I'm a DSLR user, and I keep finding using the LCD isn't really adequate. On the other hand, I'm heavily invested in Canon, so maybe the T3 is the answer.... but it is much larger. I have a Canon 7D already, just want something smaller for vacations and whatnot.

Don't care much for video, and honestly, I feel OIS is better than IBIS as it works while composing vs just when the picture is being shot. Only lens I'd have for starters is the std 14-42 and maybe a 45-200 in the future.
  2. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Depends on where you balance size vs cost. To take advantage of m43 size, you're going to have to buy lenses, and if you're used to constant aperture zooms, it's going to get expensive.

On the other hand, if you have a closet full of L lenses you want to use, then a T3 or T4 is going to be a lot cheaper, but not much smaller than your 7D.
  3. musicmaster

musicmaster Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 19, 2012
    That's why I'm so torn.

My lineup for Canon is a 17-50 2.8, 70-200 2.8, 300 F/4 IS, and 50 1.4.

I bought a Rebel T3 during the black friday sales that just arrived, but after looking at it, it's a lot lighter, but not a ton more compact.

I can't figure out if going down to a G3 will be that much smaller than the rebel. I love the idea of the rotating LCD and the EVF for sunny days (my first instinct is to use instead of the rangefinder).

I just don't find myself bringing my 7D places unless I'm shooting sports ever. Too big (especially when I have the battery grip) and it's way too big to pack for a trip to Europe (which I just came back from).
  4. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    If you don't want to invest into another system, then maybe get a Canon G1X?

Or get a G3, slap a 20mm/1.7 on there and that's your go-to compact setup. Yes the G3 is very compact, much smaller than a rebel.
  5. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    As others have suggested, it depends on the lenses. If you're happy with a 2 zoom outfit, a G3/14-42 kit and 45-200 will cost only a little more than a T3/18-55 kit, and I daresay it will perform better in most respects, in spite of being smaller.

The current generation of m4/3 cameras are all quite a bit better than the E-PL1 in the areas you mention, so I don't think you'll be disappointed.
  6. musicmaster

musicmaster Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 19, 2012
    The G3 auto rotates the picture right???? One thing i CANNOT stand on the E-PL1
  7. eno789

eno789 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 5, 2010
    Bay Area, California
    On G3, it depends on the lens. Usually lens with IS will do auto rotate. IMHO that's no big deal at all.