1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Canon still has name recognition for resale.

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by lenshoarder, May 11, 2012.

1. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    I've been trying to sell 3 cameras. A Sony NEX, a Panasonic M43 and a 4 year old Canon XS DSLR. All were/are at the same price. The NEX and M43 haven't gotten any traction in weeks. At best, I get a lowball offer of $200 every once in a while. I posted the Canon yesterday. Instantly, I got a bunch of reponses and sold it to the first responder. No negoitiation, no questions, he just wanted to come get it. I'm still getting responses about it today. I got more responses in the first hour than I have in weeks with the NEX and M43 combined. I guess name recognition trumps functionality.

2. dylandingo

dylandingo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 12, 2011
    La Crosse, WI
    Yeah when I was switching over to m43 from my Canon dslr I put my lenses on craigslist and they were spoken for the next morning, sold as soon as the buyer's and I were able to meet up. I've been debating selling my Olympus e-p2 with the vf-2 now that I got an e-p3 and I am pretty sure it might take awhile though my normal means of selling my gear(although after an easy trade on this site I might give that another go.)

3. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    yup..... its called marketing

:)

K

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Doesn't surprise me at all. Do you know how many people I hear tell me they have a "professional camera" because their point-and-shoot says Canon, or how many times people see my professional-looking gear and ask me if it's a Canon even though the Olympus name is plastered all over it, sometimes even on my jacket or shirt? xD

You hear some really stupid and crazy things out there relating to camera gear and those who "think" they know about it. Like how about the guy who scoffs when looking at a wall of filters while looking for a "protective filter" and says, "I would never buy from these guys! I don't know who Hoya is!! It doesn't even say Canon on it!", then proceed to look at the Circular Polarizer, sees the more expensive price tag on it, and tells his girlfriend that he's going to find a store that carries a CIR-POL from Canon because it's more expensive and made by Canon, so it'll be the best protective filter he can buy. lol... Can't wait to see all the shots he misses while working with the slow shutter speed of an 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 with a CIR-POL permanently attached. :rofl: Of course, it's not like he'll ever take the camera off Auto so I guess that just means the camera will always keep the ISO jacked up to 6400 and up for him. He'll never know the difference, but his photos won't look any better than his friends' cellphone pics.

I don't know exactly which Sony NEX or Panny m4/3 camera you were trying to sell, but even if it's the oldest and cheapest of each (ie, the NEX-3 and G1), the Rebel XS couldn't touch it. lol. I would never pay $200 for an XS! I assume you sold it with the 18-55mm non-IS lens that came with it? Even Canon die-hards can't help but diss that lens.

PS, I'm not dissing Canon, who like everybody else makes good products and bad products. I'm only dissing the absurdity of those who think there's no difference.

5. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    No, sorry, I don't buy the "Canon sells by name only" argument. Everyone having used even an entry level Canon DSLR for some time, as well as even the not so expensive EF lenses (like the 50mm f1.4, 85mm, 70-200mm f4 non-IS, etc), shall attest to their performance and reliability.

I know I'll make a lot of enemies by this statement but my made in China E-PL2 feels and handles almost like a toy compared to my made in Japan 550D (I'm reffering to "kit" status only!) And price difference is not that great at the end. So, for someone not bothered by size and pocketability, what's the point in prefering the Olympus over the Canon?

Please, let's try puting things in perspective here. Photographers choosing Canon (or Nikon, for that matter) are not collectively idiots. Photographers choosing :43: are not fooling themselves either. There are different needs for different people. Sure, I agree that the general consumer public is not yet well versed to the advantages of :43:, but this is changing gradually. And, certainly, higher end, prosumer level :43: (like the GH2 and the OM-D) shall hold their value more easily. Not to mention future pro models. Let's please keep in mind just how new :43: really is!

• Like Like x 1
  6. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    yes canon does sell by name recognition in the real world outside forums...most people buying cameras don't understand cameras....they just want something to take pictures...canon is safe like ford or mcdonalds

K

7. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Canon built up their reputation in the film era. People will have a stash of EF lenses somewhere that will work with Canon.

You don't really have that with other camera brands, even with Nikons, older lenses won't autofocus with cheaper Nikons, and people probably don't know that Minolta lenses can be used on Sonys, and Pentax AF SLR share was tiny compared to Canikon.

8. lenshoarder

Nov 7, 2010
    Plenty of people know that Minolta glass works with Sony, that's why the prices for things like beercans are so high. Before Sony released the 50mm F1.8, people desparately seeked out the Minolta 50mm F1.7. It too shot up in price. Even now, it sells for about the price of a new Canon 50mm lens. If using old glass is the goal, then a Sony would be the best bet due to availability of lenses. I scrounge around for old glass all the time and Minolta is the most abundant, followed at a distance second by Pentax and lastly by Canon/Nikon.

The person who bought mine was a beginner. It was his first SLR, film or digital, but he had to have a Canon.

9. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    And is this a bad thing?

I would hope that you'd want Panasonic & Olympus to achieve the same level of recognition.

10. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    Well I sold a 600D (Rebel T3i) with kit 18-55 lens in favor of a lowly Olympus E-PL1 with kit 14-42 lens. Why? PL1 delivers sharper, crisper jpegs straight out of the camera and with colors that look more accurate and vibrant (I had endless white balance problems with the 600D). 600D and 550D owners need to shoot RAW and spend a bunch of time in post processing to get Olympus straight out of the camera results in regard to colors, sharpness and often white balance.

Recently I picked up a little, made in China Olympus E-M5 for it's video capability; i.e. sharper, more detailed, more richly colored video than a 550D/600D can deliver plus silent, automatic focusing (vs Canon's noisy focusing) and rock steady image stabilization (vs. ineffective stabilization on the 550D/600D.

11. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    We are talking about beginners who are shopping for a Canon Rebels, I doubt that these people will know that the Minolta works with Sony SLRs.

Once you buy a Sony, then you'll know more about lens compatibilities.

12. With_Eyes_Unclouded

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    Sorry, I don't care about OOC JPEGs. In fact I don't particularly like the Pen's JPEG rendering. With my workflow I spend exactly zero time extra vs having to cope with even one crappy jpeg OOC in a given set of photos. Also I never had any issue with white balance, using Lightroom with my RAWs. YMMV for sure.

If I wanted "pro" level support for video, I'd rather get a GH2 and hack it, or, even better (and safer), install Magic Lantern in a Canon. IS is a feature of the lenses for Canon (and, indeed, any DSLR and even Panasonic :43:). For casual, "amateur" video work, most cameras I've tried are at least adequate. Again, as I said, YMMV.

As for "made in China" arguments, I have a LOT of equipment made in China (and other "lesser" Far East countries) and, for the most part, I had no troubles, given the limitations of any particular design. Truth be said though, build and tactile quality of a Rebel is at least one to two marks over any Olympus :43:, except of course the OM-D (which represents a paradigm shift for :43: IMO, as I have repeateadly said).

13. God, I hope that the Canon name still stands out when it comes to selling cameras; I've still got a $&%@load of EOS gear left to sell!

• Like Like x 1
  14. With_Eyes_Unclouded

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    If it's lenses you talk about, you have nothing to worry, for quite a long time.

• Like Like x 1
  15. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    But it's ineffective for video. Only Olympus offers IS that's so good you can shoot hand held video this steady: [ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0IVsGPvCgk]P5090042.mov - YouTube[/ame]

16. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    This would be funny, if a friend of mine hadn't done precisely that... :confused:

17. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    It's not really brand recognition so much as familiarity in my view. Many more people use or have used Canon than the others, especially in the US. People gravitate to what they know. If you look at the relative installed base, Canon and Nikon dwarf the others in DSLRs/ILCs by at least 10x in this area. That's changing, but even if m4/3 sells like gangbusters for the next 5 years, there'll still be a big gap. Of course in Asia and Japan, things are rather different.

DH

18. lenshoarder

Nov 7, 2010
    True, those same beginners also won't have a stash of EF lenses encouraging them to buy Canon. Thus my premise it's Canon name recognition.

19. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Back in the mid-1970's, I had a decision to make: replace my screw-thread Pentax with Canon or Nikon. Canon was the cheaper option, so I started with an AE-1 and progressed to an A-1. That started what's turned out to be a devotion to all cameras Canon: SLR, DSLR, and enthusiast G, plus a smattering of cheaper P&S models along the way. So it was a fairly big leap for me to abandon Canon for a camera system sold by a TV and toaster company...!

I have high praise for the durability and usability of the Canons I've owned through the years. It was not a bitter divorce, but rather the recognition that a new system was emerging that had the features I wanted but that Canon was choosing not to adopt. My Canons were good, solid products with, yes, market recognition, so I'm not surprised the resale values are holding up well.

20. lenshoarder

Nov 7, 2010
    Whew.... finally all sold. The NEX sold shortly after the Canon. The GH1 has been sitting unwanted this last month. Finally sold it.