Canon Speedlights used on EP-2/EP-3

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Michael, Dec 17, 2011.

1. Michael

Michael Mu-43 Regular

Has any of our esteemed brethren used Canon speedlights on Olympus Pens?
    Are there any serious trigger or (heaven forbid) damage problems? I'm not too bothered about incompatability with the ETTL system as I am used to using them in manual mode anyway.

Just thinking about trying something I have not done before
  2. fotoopa

fotoopa Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 4, 2011
    I use the Nikon flashes in manual mode.

- I have a little DIY controller that:
    - drive the wired remote lines to the camera (meter and shutter signal)
    - After a delay ( min 72 ms due to the shutterlag) drive the x-sync pin of the flash(es)
    - camera set manual mode, manual focus etc.. T set at 1/160 (1/180 for the P3) or lower (max = x-sync timing)

Results are prefect, you can move the flashes where you want them. Any flash will works in this way. Flash power is set manual on the flashes.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Not sure about Canon, but with Nikon I can set my flash to A mode, dial in the focal length (35mm equivalent), dial in the F-stop and then I can shoot with full metering intact. Works great!
    • Like Like x 1
  4. j0sh818

j0sh818 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2011
    I am using a 430 EX II on my EPL-2 with no problems. You cannot trigger it wirelessly though and its all manual. So, I assume it would work on ep3/ep2, too.
  5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I've used all kinds of Canon speedlights on my E-System DSLRs and PEN-system cameras. I do not however mount non-Four-Thirds flashes directly on the hotshoe. I always use a single-contact trigger or adapter, either PC Sync, radio, or even optical.

I can tell you that the Canon pins have the exact same pattern as the Four-Thirds pins (which is why Canon TTL cords work perfect for Four-Thirds and Micro Four-Thirds systems). That of course means that the pins will be in direct contact with each other (which I do not believe is the case with the Nikons). So you may have some danger of the pins getting signals if you don't have it on full manual or if you have things turned on when you slide the flash in or out. Whether or not these signals will ever affect anything is another question, of course. ;)

The safest thing is to simply get some kind of sync adapter with only a single trigger contact. A safe sync will mount directly on the hotshoe and allow you to mount any kind of flash on top or via PC Sync cable, and will even step-down voltage from old flashes which are too high. Or just a standard hotshoe adapter with a single contact will allow you to mount any digital flash from any manufacturer except Sony/Minolta Alpha (because of the proprietary hotshoe) via PC Sync cable, and a radio trigger will do the same for you.
    You'll never have to ask this question or limit yourself on purchase again. :) I keep at least a half dozen flashes at all times of various makes, and cycle through these quite often as they get broken or worn out. I'm always in need of more flash guns, and I sure as hell don't want to pay full OEM for Four-Thirds specific flashes every time! I look for used or third party flashes from every make and manufacturer.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Michael

Michael Mu-43 Regular

All good

Thanks for that Ned. I thought that was the case but having never had the need to use the speedlights with the EP2 I thought it wise to use the collective wisdom of probably one of the best online forums before I do. I aslo have an MR14 ring flash which I have used a lot on my 5D kit. Generally the its the cameras that fry leaving the flash intact...
  7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yes, that is absolutely correct. :)