1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Canon Serenar 85mm f2

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by MacBook, Sep 4, 2010.

1. MacBook

MacBook Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2010
    South Carolina
    The Canon Serenar 85mm f2 lens has a Leica screw mount, so it is connected with a 39 - m4/3 adapter. The lens does not lock on the adapter, so focusing can cause it to unscrew if not careful.

Serenar_85mm_f2_circa_1953.

2. Brian S

Brian S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    The focus action on the lens should not be so stiff as to cause it to unscrew. If it is that stuff, a Lube job is probably required. I use this lens on my M8 with an LTM to M-Mount adapter. I "cheated" and worked a little sewing machine oil into mine. When received, it was very stiff.

3. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Yeah I had to work on my jupiter to avoid it unscrewing from the adapter when focusing. Its fine now.
    Mac you got a pic/link to the serenar Canon? It must be from the Canon rangefinders right?

4. MacBook

MacBook Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2010
    South Carolina
    The lens was left alone for several years, I think, so a "lube job" might be appropriate here, too. I have never lubricated a lens, could you give me an idea of how to do so? And, is sewing machine oil like shredder oil or like 3-in-1 oil?

5. MacBook

MacBook Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2010
    South Carolina
    Ulfric,

Here are a couple of pictures of the lens.

Serenar_lens1.

Serenar_barrel.

6. Brian S

Apr 11, 2009
    Sering machine oil is light, maybe a little more refined than shredder oil. Look in the back of the focus mount, with the camera at closest focus. Seems to me a couple of drops of oil into the mechanism at that point could be worked in while moving from 3ft to infinity.

7. Brian S

Apr 11, 2009
    I checked mine- and that is how I worked the oil in. Set the lens to min focus, look at the rear. There is a cut-out section that exposed the back of the helical. Drop some oil a little at a time and then work the mechanism.

• Like Like x 1
  8. MacBook

MacBook Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2010
    South Carolina
    I will get some oil and try it out. The mechanism seems to be loosening a bit anyway, but that would help. I think I need to experiment with some other adapted lenses, because I like the manual focus and quality of this one, especially for stationary objects (relatively, these blow in the breeze a lot).

Plumbago_with_Serenar_85mm_f2_9-5-10.