Canon Serenar 85mm f2

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by MacBook, Sep 4, 2010.

1. MacBook

MacBook Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Jul 24, 2010
    South Carolina
    The Canon Serenar 85mm f2 lens has a Leica screw mount, so it is connected with a 39 - m4/3 adapter. The lens does not lock on the adapter, so focusing can cause it to unscrew if not careful.

Serenar_85mm_f2_circa_1953.

2. Brian S

Brian S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    The focus action on the lens should not be so stiff as to cause it to unscrew. If it is that stuff, a Lube job is probably required. I use this lens on my M8 with an LTM to M-Mount adapter. I "cheated" and worked a little sewing machine oil into mine. When received, it was very stiff.

3. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Yeah I had to work on my jupiter to avoid it unscrewing from the adapter when focusing. Its fine now.
    Mac you got a pic/link to the serenar Canon? It must be from the Canon rangefinders right?

4. MacBook

Jul 24, 2010
    South Carolina
    The lens was left alone for several years, I think, so a "lube job" might be appropriate here, too. I have never lubricated a lens, could you give me an idea of how to do so? And, is sewing machine oil like shredder oil or like 3-in-1 oil?

5. MacBook

Jul 24, 2010
    South Carolina
    Ulfric,

Here are a couple of pictures of the lens.

Serenar_lens1.

Serenar_barrel.

6. Brian S

Apr 11, 2009
    Sering machine oil is light, maybe a little more refined than shredder oil. Look in the back of the focus mount, with the camera at closest focus. Seems to me a couple of drops of oil into the mechanism at that point could be worked in while moving from 3ft to infinity.

7. Brian S

Apr 11, 2009
    I checked mine- and that is how I worked the oil in. Set the lens to min focus, look at the rear. There is a cut-out section that exposed the back of the helical. Drop some oil a little at a time and then work the mechanism.

• Like Like x 1
  8. MacBook

Jul 24, 2010
    South Carolina
    I will get some oil and try it out. The mechanism seems to be loosening a bit anyway, but that would help. I think I need to experiment with some other adapted lenses, because I like the manual focus and quality of this one, especially for stationary objects (relatively, these blow in the breeze a lot).

Plumbago_with_Serenar_85mm_f2_9-5-10.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.