1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Canon Serenar 35/f2.8

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Tommytrubbs, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Tommytrubbs

Tommytrubbs New to Mu-43

Feb 23, 2015
    Hi,

I was just given a Canon Serenar 35/f2.8 which is a small, screw mount lens.

I'd love to use it on my GH2. Has anyone found a good adaptor for this combination? If so, please share.

Here's a pic of the lens...

image.

2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Can you measure the diameter of the mount, in millimeters?
    39mm and 42mm are common.

Barry

3. Tommytrubbs

Tommytrubbs New to Mu-43

Feb 23, 2015
    That is a very good question. I'll find a tape measure.

4. edmsnap

edmsnap Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 20, 2011
    Edmonton, Alberta
    The Serenars were M39 mount lenses. Any M39-to-µ4/3 adapter will do.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. Tommytrubbs

Tommytrubbs New to Mu-43

Feb 23, 2015
    Brilliant. Thanks for your help. Now to strike the balance between cheap rubbish and unfeasibly expensive with the adaptor.

This one seems to be the best bargain if reviews are to be trusted: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Leica-Micro...=1424768069&sr=8-6&keywords=m39+adaptor+m+4/3

Although the major issue being that the lens is misaligned when attached. I'm hoping there might be an adjustment screw.
    And at the other end, there's probably a metabones out there for a few hundred.

Do any of your guys have experience with M39 mount lenses on a GH1/GH2/GH3 and can you recommend a specific adaptor?

Thanks.

6. listers_nz

listers_nz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2013
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Simon
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  7. Tommytrubbs

Tommytrubbs New to Mu-43

Feb 23, 2015
    That's really helpful Listers. I take it that you get the full focal range and it's a good fit for the body?

8. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    I also have used a whole bunch of M39-m4/3 adapters, and there's really not much to choose among them. The one you might want to consider, however, is a helicoid adapter which allows you to focus a lot closer than those old RF lenses allow (not sure about the 35mm f/2.8, but the other Canons I have--35mm f/2, 50mm f/1.4, 135mm f/3.5--have a real long minimum focus distance. The helicoid adapter makes a big difference, especially if you want to isolate your subject by getting close.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/M39-mount-l...710?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d0334c4de

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  9. Tommytrubbs

Tommytrubbs New to Mu-43

Feb 23, 2015
    Thank you. I will definitely take that into account. Helicoid looks like a good idea.