1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Canon sales and profits down

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by WT21, Oct 26, 2012.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
  2. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I suspect it has more to do with Canon cameras becoming less competitive against Nikon DSLRs than it does with with mirrorless.

3. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Maybe, but I think it says more about market saturation and timing. The 7D and 60D are both due for updates, and that segment as well as the 5D3 area is looking pretty full. There high-end amateur market is large, but it's not infinite (and the pro market is much smaller).

Not that I'd be unhappy if Canon were more innovative, but I'd be hesitant to draw any lines too directly between tech. and results. It's not as if Olympus Imaging has been doing especially well either, and they've got both a good sensor and a good mirrorless system.

4. KS11

KS11 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2011
    Busan/Hong Kong
    Nobody mentioning how china is boycotting Japanese products? Also canon factories in china are closed or being the targets of rage by the Chinese population?

Politics tie with economics as well.

5. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
    That one is too recent to have made a dent on canon's bottomline yet. Moreover, china have not started to produce high end cameras yet, so they dont have much choice on what brands to get than the japanese ones. Havent you seen te pictures of canon and nikon cameras plastered with chinese flags to conceal the brand?

6. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I wonder if Canon making their own sensors is biting them on the rear? Nikon's strategy seems to have really paid off for them by outsourcing their sensors. Even the in-house designed sensors are being fabricated elsewhere.

7. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Why are we, on a mirrorless forum, worried about how Canon are doing? I wish all photographic companies well and think that it's great that photographers have so much choice these days, but to me personally Canon are irrelevant. I'm sure that not too many people on Canon specific forums are interested in how Olympus and Panasonic are doing either. :biggrin:

8. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Sometimes the forum goes a bit quiet.
    It is an advantage to have additional threads like this to add some additional interest and to fill the 'gaps' when things are quiet re M4/3
    Personally I take great interest in 'outside' subjects like this as I like the forum to be a 'one stop shop' for all the photographic news world and manufacturer wide so that I only have to read and be involved in one single forum as I don't really want to diversify and dilute my involvement.
    I don't want to be left in the dark with regard to other matters and developments which I would otherwise not get to hear about
    Also the recent or impending introduction of Canon mirrorless cameras is of great interest to at least some who follow the development of M43 who also have a general interest in the world of photography and by monitoring progress at Canon we might appreciate how well our system has done, is doing and how it is developing in comparison
    Please continue to submit such threads
    Regards
    Rob

• Like Like x 3
  9. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    My understanding is that DSLR accounts for only a tiny portion of the sales/margin even at Canikon compared to P&S. I think Nikon, Panasonic, and others have made significant inroads to the Canon dominance in that market. I rarely see Canon models on top in any of the comparison tests any more. Today's consumers are far more educated and have far more information in front of them and will buy what the test results say is "best".

10. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    How are competitors affecting Canon's copier & printer business :confused:

11. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Lexmark and Kodak have pulled out of the printer business, so it should help Canon.

12. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    HP is still around......Not sure about what's going on in the copy department...

13. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I think Kodak is still around in the printer business....the only thing Kodak has dumped is film & sensors....(go figure eh?)