1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Canon S95 or M4/3?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Johnny1.33, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Johnny1.33

Johnny1.33 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 4, 2011
    With a kit lens will the M4/3 Panasonic or Olympus, doesn't matter to me, look better, same, worse, than the Canon S95?

This is for general photography.

Just curious on thoughts between the kit lens and the S95 and forgetting about interchangeable lenses. If I only had the kit and that's all I ever had vs. the S95 built in lens.

I know the sensor is smaller on the S95 but it does seem to be a nice camera.

Thanks.

2. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    You can't beat sensor size, the m4/3 will give better results. But the s95 might be good enough for you. You can compare the cameras images at dpreview--go to the s95 review and to the compare page and then add the other camera you want.

3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Yes, a kit lens on any Micro 4/3 camera will perform better (faster focus) and produce better image quality than an S90. Would the results be different enough to notice? Probably not.

If I were never going to change lenses, I'd probably go for an XZ-1 or EX1/TL500 over a MFT camera with kit lens. The former are just so much smaller. However, the ability to put the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 on the camera is a game changer, and those smaller cameras cannot match the versatility.

• Like Like x 1
  4. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Then there's the upcoming Olympus PEN Mini.....:wink:

5. timallenphoto

timallenphoto Mu-43 Veteran

May 20, 2011
    Kent, England
    Having just sold my S90 to buy an E-P1 the images are indeed better, but to be honest considering how much bigger the Pen sensor is I'm not exactly blown away by the difference. At ISO200 there seems to be a bucket load of noise which I wasn't expecting. Overall I am happy though.

6. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    you must have pretty small buckets over there.:wink:

7. Johnny1.33

Johnny1.33 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 4, 2011
    I decided to go ahead and order the G3, barring nothing unforeseen.

8. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    An excellent choice, Johnny.

9. timallenphoto

May 20, 2011
    Kent, England
    Maybe I've been spoilt by my 5D then but noise performance on the Pen hasn't impressed me at all. Luckily Lightroom can deal with most of it.

10. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I don't remember so much noise, but I didn't keep the camera long enough. I hope I won't regret the one I just bought a couple days ago that hasn't arrived yet.:frown:

11. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
  12. timallenphoto

May 20, 2011
    Kent, England
    It is yes, and I know pixel peeping is frowned upon but I didn't expect that much noise in the raw file.

13. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I certainly don't frown upon pixel peeping. In fact, I enjoy pixel peeping very often. Just wanted to clarify that's what it was.

Compared to your 5D, the E-P1 autoexposes to preserve about an extra stop of highlight headroom and then applies a tone curve to "push" the shadows by that same amount. This is replicated by Lightroom. Put differently, the E-P1 files are automatically exposed to the left and then pushed. As a result, shadow noise increases. One way you can potentially get around this is to add positive exposure compensation (taking care with highlights) and then start with "Auto Tone" in Lightroom.

• Like Like x 2
  14. MaxElmar

MaxElmar Mu-43 Regular

May 18, 2011
    New Jersey, USA
    Ah, raw file. Some of raw converters/viewers really seem to be vastly worse than the internal processing engine. Check out the ACR conversions in DPReview - bleech. They look like they came from a different camera.

I am not advocating for one workflow over another - (the old R vs. J debate) - I'm just saying that I believe ACR has an issue that needs to be addressed or avoided. What are you using?

(Sounds like Amin is on to a solution in Lightroom)

15. SMaturin

SMaturin Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 30, 2011
    New York's Backyard
    That is useful to know!

I often add +0.5 or 1.0 EV to shots where I am concerned about a lot of shadows and contrast (like indoor events with stage lighting) with the e-p2 (or use bracketing), because I have found I liked the results after correcting the RAW in Aperture. Now I know why that is needed.

16. timallenphoto

May 20, 2011
    Kent, England
    Thanks for info everyone. I'm a recent convert to Lightroom. I thought the Olympus software seemed quite capable but it is staggeringly slow to do anything.

17. Danny_Two

Danny_Two Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2010
    London
    I've got both.
    The G1 is generally better all round, faster shutter, better lenses etc, a 'proper' camera if you like, but the S95 can't be beaten for hand held low light/night shots, and of course it's tiny size.

So, if the majority of your photography is in pubs and clubs then the S95, mft for everything else.
    :smile:

18. semma

semma Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2010
    The S95 for low light shots? :confused:
    I have the D-Lux5 (compare it with the S95, but faster lens) and for low-light shots, I NEVER use it but my G1 with 20mm :wink:

19. Danny_Two

Danny_Two Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2010
    London
    The Canon is much better with high ISO, and has a low light compression mode, the G1 is pretty much unusable at anything over 800, even with the 20mm (which I also have).