1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Canon S100 P&S better than a GF2?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by lenshoarder, Jan 3, 2012.

1. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
  2. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    absolutely hilarious.....

I am sure the s100 is a very fine camera....but....cameras don't take pictures... photographers do

dpreview is where I go for a laugh... its only beaten by people quoting DXO benchmarks

K

3. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I thought DPR was where you went to quote DXO benchmarks? :)

note, though, that's posted in a Canon forum, so they aren't trolling or anything, and such a comparison is fair game, IMO, when done in the proper forum, etc.

4. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Fair game or not, there is no way that an S100 outperforms any Micro 4/3 camera at high ISO. Not plausible at all. I can't get to DPR for some reason to see the thread, but from the title alone I can tell that I have read the exact same thread for the S95, S90, G9, G7, blah blah etc.

Everyone once in a while I take a few hours to dispel myths like these (example here).

5. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    You are going to see that kind of thing all the time. DPReview seems to attract a fair share of that sort of comparison (not sure why). FI can't see how a small sensor compact camera like the S100 is going to perform better than than a larger sensor equipped camera like a GF2. It would be like me claiming my E-PM1 outperforms a Canon 7D. Sometimes smaller sensor cameras are more preferable for a variety of reasons such as being easier to use without being noticed, macro without the need for a special lens etc. but that is really more a case of a camera being a better fit for what your needs are. For instance, I love my Panasonic ZS3 and under some circumstances I might choose it over my m43 gear. Is it better IQ? No, but under certain circumstances it might be a more appropriator tool.

6. Rudi

Rudi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2010
    Australia
    This should be posted as a sticky, so I can point people to it when they get upset after I mention that a DSLR sensor outperforms a :43: sensor. It's only physics, but people take it personally for some reason. :smile:

P.S. DPReview forums are not a source of reliable information. I don't even go there any more (stopped years ago).

7. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    A 4/3 sensor is greater than 4 times the size of an S100 sensor, so the sensor image quality in low light, shutter speed limited photography is highly disparate. By comparison, the contrast between APS-C sensors and 4/3 sensors is much less striking.

System flexibility is another consideration. Eg, a fast prime (eg f/1.4) on a Micro 4/3 camera makes up most or all of the sensor difference (again, speaking here about shutter speed limited, low light photography)versus a 35mm format DSLR with a fast zoom (f/2.8). Of course, the 35mm camera can kick things up another notch with a fast prime, but the point is that an S100 is stuck with one lens .

8. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I was playing with this the other night. The S100 looks impressive as he'll until you realize all detail has sacrificed to the altar of noise reduction. Simply pull up the G3 in the comparison photos, it's pretty damn obvious.

9. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    Well, I've just read the thread and looked at the samples at dpreview and I'm convinced. It's obvious, the S100 IS better:eek: It was hard to tell from the crappy pictures but the discussion totally convinces me.

I just hope no one compares it to a G2... :biggrin:

10. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Joke of the Century

I moved into MFT territory 2 years and haven't looked back since then , I have come across so called various "high end compacts " but none of them comes closer to MFT and they won't . I just found them little toys for fun but not for serious fun . Dpreview and DXO say many things which should be taken with a pinch of salt .So just chill out and enjoy MFT . If some one is convinced that Canon S100 performs better than GF2 , let them choose Canon and say good bye to MFT.
    By the way I just had a small interaction with a friend's Sony alpha 580 and its a nice camera, But believe me after using Sony 580 with 50 mm 1.8 lens , I love my Olympus EPL2 + 45mm 1.8 combo even more.

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  11. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Does that include Four Thirds DSLRs? :biggrin:

12. Rudi

Rudi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2010
    Australia
    LOL, unfortunately not.

P.S. What is Four Thirds? :tongue: :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  13. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    For me, it's not necessarily either/or but perhaps both. The Canon S100 and its immediate predecessors are truly pocketable and cover a practical zoom range. If they're now achieving acceptable image quality, that's a good thing. When I'm traveling for work, I have to pack and carry small; I don't quite get there with an m43, even the E-PM1 with pancake. So the S90 and/or GR3 makes the trip. Nice to know that you don't fall off a cliff in IQ when you move down the chain.

Will this improvement cause me to look again at my commitment to m43? Nah...not even on the radar screen!

14. Rudi

Rudi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2010
    Australia
    Exactly! Buy the best tool for the job - this is why I am maintaining three systems (if you can call a compact camera a "system" :wink: ). They each have their time in the sun, depending on what I need to do.

15. McDark

McDark Mu-43 Regular

Oct 26, 2011
    Russia
  16. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    L.A.
    It's a silly comparison and an absurd claim. While the S series Canons are nice pocketable cameras (I own the S90), they are not in the same league with an m43 camera. Go to this page at DPReview and select any m43 camera for comparison images and the difference in IQ is very stark.

Canon S100 Review: 12. Compared to (Raw): Digital Photography Review

What I find incredible is that many of my fellow Canon users on the photography-on-the.net forum have yet to try a mirrorless camera. They continue to live in a world where the G series Canon P&S reign supreme in the compact camera segment. Talk m43, and you get silence and a blank stare.

17. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    If Canon do end up putting an ILC offering out there, perhaps it will attract some attention on POTN...:smile:

On the other hand, a Canon camera of the m43 form factor might have trouble co-existing with the G series. Is there room in the product line for both?

18. markus

markus Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 28, 2011
    Well, I've only had an m4/3 camera for a week (Panasonic G3) but I've been shooting a Canon S90 for years when I didn't feel like lugging around my D200.

All I can say is: The S90/95/100 are extremely competant little cameras, mine has really come through for me and amazed me several times. Best of all it is totally front-pocket portable, so I have it with me a good deal of the time. It is also fairly easy to use "out of the box".

I'm sure my G3 will blow it away, but it is going to take some time for me to master/tweak the settings on the G3. I think for someone willing to spend the time with it, and who knows what they are doing - then yeah, any m4/3 rig will probably get much better results.

Now that I have the G3 I can see it getting the majority of use. If I want pocket portability, I have the S90 as backup. If I want massive depth of field or am shooting at the race track, I'll probably grab the D200. I guess I'm stuck with all of them!

Best,
    - Mark

• Like Like x 1
  19. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    With respect to external dimensions and absolute "pocketability," I say yes to the OP's titular question.

20. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    L.A.
    In a recently published interview with Canon's director of marketing, he stated that between an APS-C format DSLR camera system that was ever-shrinking in size, and an ever-improving p&s prosumer camera series, that Canon really didn't need a competitor to the m43 or other mirrorless systems. He also questioned whether such camera needed to be an ILC.

Since Canon has already announced it's intention to introduce a mirrorless competitor this year, was that bluster, or was he revealing his hand?

I could see Canon replacing the G series with a larger sensor body and a much faster zoom; a Fuji X100 body/sensor combined with an X10 type fast zoom. I would certainly be interested, but then, Fuji may be just releasing just such a camera next week.