1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Canon released EOS M2

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by jyc860923, Dec 3, 2013.

1. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18MP APS-C CMOS sensor with DIGIC 5 image processor

ISO range 100-12800 expandable to 25600

3 inch touchscreen

4.6fps burst shooting

black and white colours available in mid Dec.

Wifi

2nd gen hybrid focusing

31-point PDAF covering up to 80% of frame that enables 2.3x AF speed than predecessor

2. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

Well, maybe early next year. Right now it's still a rumor wot no official word from the big C. Hopefully they fixed the AF and have at least an accessory VF...

3. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Looks pretty amazing. Reminds me a lot of a Canon EOS M with a '2' on the end. Now all they have to do is price it at US$799.

• Like Like x 3
  4. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    http://www.engadget.com/2013/12/03/...ted&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Today - Canon (finally) launched its first mirrorless interchangeable lens camera last year and while we loved the design and the image quality of the EOS M, the focusing speed, well, left a lot to be desired. The EOS M2 looks set to answer that particular issue. Announced today, and ready to launch in a few weeks, the new ILC promises auto-focus speeds over 2.3 times faster than the EOS M.

http://petapixel.com/2013/06/19/the-magic-of-firmware-canon-eos-m-af-speed-boost-seen-in-videos/

6 months ago - Earlier this month, Canon announced that there’s a firmware update for the Canon EOS M on the way that will boost the mirrorless camera’s sluggish autofocusing speeds by up to 2.3x.

hmmm....

• Like Like x 5
  5. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    Ahh - so this is an EOS-M with the firmware update pre-loaded?

6. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Rob: I had that very thought when I saw the "2.3" but assumed I must be mistaken because no one could be that ridiculous.:shakehead:

7. rezatravilla

rezatravilla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Indonesia
    Reza Travilla
    still ugly........

8. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    According to Canonwatch, it's 2.3 times faster than the M with the firmware upgrade. Maybe 2.3 is just a target AF spec for them . . .:smile:

9. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Well in any case it is a particularly feeble update from Canon that clearly doesnt want to take attention away from its DSLR line. Where is the EVF? The 70D dual focus system (ideal for mirrorless)? The tiltable LCD? I doubt they will even bother releasing this model in the US. Who is going to pay US$820 (Japanese price) for this model with kit lens while the EOS-M plus kit lens is US$299. It does have wifi though.

Oops edit....'It appears that the EOS M2 won't be sold in either the European or US markets.' DPreview.com

10. BeyondTheLines

BeyondTheLines Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2012
    Spain/USA
    Patrick
    From dpreview.com: "It appears that the EOS M2 won't be sold in either the European or US markets."

This way people in the US and Europe can't complain about lack of EVF/Dual Pixel Focusing etc. :biggrin:

11. Neftun

Neftun Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 15, 2012
    Norway
    Patrick Kristiansen
    Yawn, Canon. Yet again.

Patrick K

12. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    Ugly and unimaginative IMO.

13. BAXTING

BAXTING Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles SFV, CA
    Bradley
    Maybe there will be a firmware update boosting the new one from 2.3 to 4.6 after everyone figures it out.

Seems like they are playing catchup in the Mirrorless market which is no fun for anyone.

It is small though and with 18mp APS-C sensor.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Mu-43 mobile app

14. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    Once again Canon impresses with such unheard of mirrorless camera advances as phase-detect on chip and built-in wifi with smartphone remote capability. Why couldn't any other camera manufacturer come to market until now with such advanced features?!?

15. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I have the the current M ($299 with the 22mm) and it's a great compact camera with an APS-C sensor and very good IQ. I used it on a recent Disney trip because my EM5 is in the shop and I'm very happy with the results. They certainly have the basis of a nifty mirrorless system but are clearly so half-hearted about it that it's laughable.

16. BeyondTheLines

BeyondTheLines Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2012
    Spain/USA
    Patrick
    That sums it up perfectly :thumbup:

17. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    I got one too, it's good 22mm pancake camera at $300, but not like $800 witch Canon ask for.

18. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
  19. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    By the way, if you haven't checked out New Camera News (the link above), do so, especially next time you feel like you're taking photography just a little too seriously :smile:

(I'm unaffiliated and all that...)

• Like Like x 1
  20. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    I think they'll ditch mirrorless, unless this thing sells through the roof. They patented another pellicle (allows light through mirror) mirror, that coupled with the dual pixel sensor may provide a best of both worlds solution in regards to the AF problem, and EF lens lineup problem. Provided it works past the hype I'm sure we'll get.