Canon Rebel XTi to Fuji x100s to ?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by kdern, Sep 28, 2013.

1. kdern

kdern New to Mu-43

Sep 28, 2013
    St Louis, MO
    Kevin Dern
    I shot with a Canon Rebel XTi for years and loved it, but found I was using it less and less often because I always had my iPhone with me. I sold all my gear and bought the Fuji x100s and have used it a ton in the last few months. There are some things I love about it (size, image quality, low light IQ, fast lens) but the slow AF is really an issue for me in low light. I know I can switch to MF and use peaking but that's so foreign to me - I'm not sure I'll ever get used to it. I've shot maybe 5000 images with the camera so far and I'm still cursing at it in low light situations.

So today I went to the camera store to play with a few other cameras - the Olympus O-MD E-M5, the Sony NEX-7 and the Canon SL1. I'm having a hard time deciding what to do and thought perhaps some of you could give me your thoughts.

Olympus - love the feel of the camera, nice to have zoom functionality again after the x100s. But the EVF seems so dark and grainy to me compared to a DSLR and the OVF on the x100s. I played with the 12-50 lens which is great but only f/3.5 and only on the wide end. Faster lenses would be out of my price range to start. The fast AF is great but the shooting experience is disappointing with the small, dark EVF. Other downside compared to x100s is the size - with the lens I can no longer slip it into my Timbuk2 laptop messenger bag.

Canon SL1 - Feels comfortable, big bright OVF, controls that feel familiar to me. But it's big - definitely can't slip it into my bag.

Sony NEX-7 - Lenses are big. Only thing I liked about this was the dynamic exposure image in the EVF when changing exposure settings.

So what should I do? Keep the x100s and live with the slow AF, enjoying the size? Or sell it and get the Olympus OM-D with the 12-50, trading size and OVF for faster AF? Or maybe get the Olympus with a prime lens? (still stuck with that lousy EVF).

Or is there another m43 with a great EVF or OVF and fast AF that I should consider?

Here are the type of photos I like to take. I don't do any pro work, sports, wildlife etc. I shoot mostly street scenes, buildings, family and friends, lots of travel, etc.

Thanks for any advice!

2. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    evf on the om-d is far from lousy in my opinion.... I am thinking maybe the in store demo model had something set oddly.

K

3. Dduval

Dduval Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2013
    Orlando, FL
    Simple, keep the x100s, get the OMD used for $625 or so and slowly add some fast primes. Then enjoy the best of both worlds.

Seriously, I have the OMD with a kit lens and it's great. I am saving up for the fuji x100s so I can enjoy both cams. I'll then save for the 17mm, then the panny 25mm, or maybe the oly 45mm. At least thats the plan...:biggrin:

4. kdern

kdern New to Mu-43

Sep 28, 2013
    St Louis, MO
    Kevin Dern
    It just seemed so much smaller and darker than the x100s. I went into the menus and turned up the brightness by a couple notches which helped a bit, but it's not the same as an OVF.

5. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Have you considered keeping the 100s and adding a Sony rx100... Or selling the x100s and getting a xa1?

Or getting an gx7 with 12-35x but that will probably blow your budget.

Since you are not in a hurry, I'd wait n see what the em5 mark2 offers up when rumors start coming out.