Canon R5

Cederic

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Looking at the specs and capabilities of the Canon R5 and.. finally a full frame camera that offers the features I've enjoyed for the past four years with my em1.2 (plus, to be fair, some features from the em1x).

It does look like a superb camera and I would want one if the lenses were smaller. That's quite a price tag though.

Lcrunyon

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Loren
If it’s as good as it says it is, it really would be quite a leap forward.

Reflector

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I would question the how it handles heat for now given that it seems to be unhappy with 4k and 8k video. It seems to overheat quickly like the Sonys of old and that does not bode well for using it in for a lot of continuous photography (AF, continous drive mode or otherwise lots of bracketed images for stacking). I was interested in seeing what the R6 would turn out as (20mp 1DXIII sensor is really appealing, the electronic shutter limitations aren't) but the more information that comes out, the less hype behind it there is. The specs look great, the limitations... don't.

Attachments

• R5 Overheating Limits.jpg
    R5 Overheating Limits.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 285
  • canon-EOS-R5-overheating-recovery-times-1024x568@2x.jpg
    canon-EOS-R5-overheating-recovery-times-1024x568@2x.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 290

Trixter

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Jim Leonard
It seems to overheat quickly like the Sonys of old

Ah, there's the Canon cripplehammer. I was giving serious thought to selling my m43 gear to get IBIS + phase-detect + 4k60 @ 10-bit + full-frame sensor... but my primary use is video, and being limited to shooting 20-30 minutes and then having to wait 10 minutes for cooldown isn't practical for me.

I really wish Panasonic would throw us a bone, hint at anything at all regarding the next m43 camera. It would help me plan.

I have been reading up about R5/R6 (well mostly R6) and the AF tech that Canon has cooked up in past 2 years is nothing short of otherworldly. How is it able to track black eyeball on black? The way it sticks is magical (at 0.21 mark):

Lcrunyon

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Loren
I don’t shoot extended videos and I’m not interested in 8k, but 4K at 120fps sounds useful. The problem is I’d probably have to buy a new computer to deal with those file sizes!

Despite all the uncertainty with Olympus these days, I’m still hoping for some big fw updates to the EM1X, I still plan on looking very closely at the new Pro lenses planned, and don’t see myself getting into a new system anytime in the near future. Nevertheless, the R5 suddenly made Canon interesting again.

Acraftman

Mu-43 All-Pro
$2500 or $3900 gets you in the door it seems that with the direction the industry is headed the used camera market is going to have a lot to offer since I would have to sell my 6k worth of oly gear just to purchase a body.

Aristophanes

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Ah, there's the Canon cripplehammer. I was giving serious thought to selling my m43 gear to get IBIS + phase-detect + 4k60 @ 10-bit + full-frame sensor... but my primary use is video, and being limited to shooting 20-30 minutes and then having to wait 10 minutes for cooldown isn't practical for me.

I really wish Panasonic would throw us a bone, hint at anything at all regarding the next m43 camera. It would help me plan.

Then get the R6.

Aristophanes

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I have been reading up about R5/R6 (well mostly R6) and the AF tech that Canon has cooked up in past 2 years is nothing short of otherworldly. How is it able to track black eyeball on black? The way it sticks is magical (at 0.21 mark):

The predictive capacity to target a bird’s eye, then head, then body, interchangeably, is amazing.

Setting the bar.

ac12

Mu-43 Legend
I would question the how it handles heat for now given that it seems to be unhappy with 4k and 8k video. It seems to overheat quickly like the Sonys of old and that does not bode well for using it in for a lot of continuous photography (AF, continous drive mode or otherwise lots of bracketed images for stacking). I was interested in seeing what the R6 would turn out as (20mp 1DXIII sensor is really appealing, the electronic shutter limitations aren't) but the more information that comes out, the less hype behind it there is. The specs look great, the limitations... don't.

Dissipation of heat is a standard electronic problem. The more you push the electronics, the more heat is generated.
But if you don't have enough heat exchange transfer surface, in these small cameras, you can't get rid of the heat. Especially since they do not have forced air cooling, AKA a fan.
I think heat dissipation was one of the reasons the EM1X was designed the way it was.

I can see it now, the camera is designed to heat sink into the outer case of the camera, and the case getting to hot for the users to hold.
So they have to use it on a tripod. In which case, why not just use a purpose designed video camera.​

ac12

Mu-43 Legend
Looking at the specs and capabilities of the Canon R5 and.. finally a full frame camera that offers the features I've enjoyed for the past four years with my em1.2 (plus, to be fair, some features from the em1x).

It does look like a superb camera and I would want one if the lenses were smaller. That's quite a price tag though.

The specs look great.
But as you said the price :eek: In comparison, the EM1X is cheap.

I wonder what Nikon's 2nd generation mirrorless will be?
Canon has set the bar high.

Quality and exposure equivalent FF lenses will almost always be bigger than m4/3, especially on the long end, if only for the FL difference.

Reflector

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Doesn't seem like all is well beyond the specs, the advanced AF seems to work but heat is a significant issue (3:20 in the video linked below) to the point the warning indicator showed up:

Last edited:

Reflector

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Doesn't bode well for astro.
I suspect it might be more of the problem of the advanced features like the AF tracking modes (lots of processing power needed) and video (compression with tons of data coming from the sensor).

Last edited:

Sniksekk

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Haven’t read much about this camera, since I don’t want or need it, but I have read some rumors.
Nobody is talking about the rolling shutter effect yet, but apparently it is there.
Will be fun to see someone else then ambassadors using it.

Reflector

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Haven’t read much about this camera, since I don’t want or need it, but I have read some rumors.
Nobody is talking about the rolling shutter effect yet, but apparently it is there.
Will be fun to see someone else then ambassadors using it.
7:45 of this video a rolling shutter test for video:

Reflector

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
recovery period time.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Well it looks like the R5 gets pretty toasty if you're using the video capabilities but the "waiting period" part definitely doesn't indicate good things when it comes to the heat dissipation capabilities of the R5. The R6 has a plastic exterior and it likely doesn't radiate heat as well.

And Canon gives some "tips" out about dealing with heat:
In terms of tips for avoiding these overheating limits, Canon offers five bullet points of advice:
  • Set Overheat Control function to “ON” (default). When the overheat control function is enabled, the movie size and frame rate are automatically changed while the camera is in standby mode to suppress the rise of the internal temperature
  • Between recordings, it is recommended to turn off the camera
  • Position the camera out of direct sunlight
  • Use an external fan to dissipate heat

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
View attachment 835353
Well it looks like the R5 gets pretty toasty if you're using the video capabilities but the "waiting period" part definitely doesn't indicate good things when it comes to the heat dissipation capabilities of the R5. The R6 has a plastic exterior and it likely doesn't radiate heat as well.

And Canon gives some "tips" out about dealing with heat:
Oh dear - that sounds like it's in the realm of "unfit for purpose" territory!

As long as there's not similar issues for stills, it wouldn't bother me, but it seems these days that video has become enormously important for many and a key part of any review.

Latest threads

Top Bottom