Canon R5

Just how much storage does 30mins of 8K consume? Isn't this all getting a little bit insane?
It depends on codec or RAW, bits, etc. It’s very confusing, but in theory the 10-bit RAW R5 at full 8k could use 2 TB for 1/2 hour. Using compressions like H.265 helps enormously, but the overhead to process is still killer, both in-camera and in post.

Pluttis

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter
Just how much storage does 30mins of 8K consume? Isn't this all getting a little bit insane?
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

danelkins

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Hmm. It's been awhile since I have done any substantial video recording (5Diii) but do people really use the cameras to shoot 30minutes of continuous video, especially at 8K? Maybe for interviews? But interviews over 1080 is waisted resources. Every youtuberdoodle out there seems to be pushing cameras beyond how they would ever use them to get more views about how much they suck (unless it's a Sony camera). All this noise will disappear when the camera gets out and people use them they way they were designed to be used. Have fun

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
Hmm. It's been awhile since I have done any substantial video recording (5Diii) but do people really use the cameras to shoot 30minutes of continuous video, especially at 8K? Maybe for interviews? But interviews over 1080 is waisted resources. Every youtuberdoodle out there seems to be pushing cameras beyond how they would ever use them to get more views about how much they suck (unless it's a Sony camera). All this noise will disappear when the camera gets out and people use them they way they were designed to be used. Have fun
If you're shooting a wedding and you've promised 8K, you're in trouble if they're Catholics going for the full mass.

Any way you cut it, 30 minutes would be a problem for a wedding videographer. They tend to shoot absolutely everything that moves and edit later.

Pluttis

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter
The R6 seems to be the better choice for video if you dont need more than 4k.
Looks to offer noticable better picture quality.

danelkins

Mu-43 Top Veteran
If you're shooting a wedding and you've promised 8K, you're in trouble if they're Catholics going for the full mass.

Any way you cut it, 30 minutes would be a problem for a wedding videographer. They tend to shoot absolutely everything that moves and edit later.
Maybe, but if I was shooting a wedding with a requested 8k footage I would have three cameras running and still wouldn't shoot greater than 5 minute clips. I'm not much for shooting video of people that aren't really moving

Reflector

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
AFAIK the R5's "normal 4k" mode is done either with line skipping or pixel binning which produces the soft mushy look in comparison to the downsampled 4k HQ mode. Maybe the lower density of the R6 sensor allows it to better handle 4k in comparison to the higher density sensor on the R5. Something I need to look into later on the reviews...

Catholic wedding or any other, there’d be a backup body even if they were shooting using a RED DSMC2. At 8k probably 3 bodies.

BDR-529

Mu-43 Regular

And your problems will not end there. Unless this wedding photographer has access to some secret government supercomputer, editing this 8k footage will last longer than the marriage which significantly reduces his chances to ever get paid for it.

Even high quality 4k video requires all the processing power of a 4-5k eurodollar PC and still you have to wait overnight for it to process.

Of course this has been the situation since the dawn of digital video. I still remember when I uploaded my first 60 minute DV cassette into a reasonably priced but new PC back in 2000. First the file size was insane by the standards of the day: 13GB would be a fair size for 1h full HD video even today but back then it just filled half of the hard disk all alone. Essentially it was the equivalent of 1h 8k RAW today.

I had purchased Pinnacle Studio, and set it to convert this DV video into MPEG. Pressed start. Nothing happened. Except that the whole computer froze and refused to respond to any button. After few minutes I realized that it does respond but only after 1-2 minutes so it was obviously doing something at 100% load. I left it to it's own devices and went shopping. Came back after a couple hours to find a message "1% completed, 34 hours left".

Today even an entry level laptop could encode it in 5 minutes or so but as a rule of a thump, you would like to process your video footage on the spot, not in 2040.

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
And your problems will not end there. Unless this wedding photographer has access to some secret government supercomputer, editing this 8k footage will last longer than the marriage which significantly reduces his chances to ever get paid for it.

Even high quality 4k video requires all the processing power of a 4-5k eurodollar PC and still you have to wait overnight for it to process.

Of course this has been the situation since the dawn of digital video. I still remember when I uploaded my first 60 minute DV cassette into a reasonably priced but new PC back in 2000. First the file size was insane by the standards of the day: 13GB would be a fair size for 1h full HD video even today but back then it just filled half of the hard disk all alone. Essentially it was the equivalent of 1h 8k RAW today.

I had purchased Pinnacle Studio, and set it to convert this DV video into MPEG. Pressed start. Nothing happened. Except that the whole computer froze and refused to respond to any button. After few minutes I realized that it does respond but only after 1-2 minutes so it was obviously doing something at 100% load. I left it to it's own devices and went shopping. Came back after a couple hours to find a message "1% completed, 34 hours left".

Today even an entry level laptop could encode it in 5 minutes or so but as a rule of a thump, you would like to process your video footage on the spot, not in 2040.
I remember when our studio went 'non-linear'. We were the bee's knees. I don't think the owner ever did learn how to use the system.

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
Catholic wedding or any other, there’d be a backup body even if they were shooting using a RED DSMC2. At 8k probably 3 bodies.
In Birmingham? No chance. Backup consists of the old camera that the current model replaced, or two models ago if that one got chopped in. Second operator is doubtful - as is the likelihood that someone remembered to charge all of the backup batteries.

Personally, I don't even need 4k but Canon keeps pushing video as USP. I hope the sensors are as good as Sony ones for simple photography. I just want to bury my own lack of skills under 15 stops of DR recovery.

BDR-529

Mu-43 Regular
It was never intended for long session 8k.
Anyone already in video production knew the limitations, it’s no surprise.
It‘s intended as a b-roll 8k.
Well, it looks like Canon is not that eager to check out whether the theory about "everyone already knew about this" really holds in the real world.

"Multiple outlets with inside information are reporting that Canon is holding back and/or delaying shipments of the new EOS R5 and EOS R6 cameras as a result of the overheating issues that early reviews have been reporting. This could be a sign that a recall is in the works."

https://petapixel.com/2020/07/30/ca...shipments-due-to-overheating-concerns-report/

All you need now is some popcorn, cold beer and a comfortable lawn chair.

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Well, it looks like Canon is not that eager to check out whether the theory about "everyone already knew about this" really holds in the real world.

"Multiple outlets with inside information are reporting that Canon is holding back and/or delaying shipments of the new EOS R5 and EOS R6 cameras as a result of the overheating issues that early reviews have been reporting. This could be a sign that a recall is in the works."

https://petapixel.com/2020/07/30/ca...shipments-due-to-overheating-concerns-report/

And you can apparently pop your corn with your R5 after just a few minutes of 8K video. Gotta market that as a feature. Great camera for ice skating or hockey, or the Iditarod.

https://petapixel.com/2020/07/31/canon-responds-there-is-no-delay-in-eos-r5-shipments/

He's backtracked on those comments.
Canon said "nope".
Some he attributed said a flat "wrong".
Dozens on FredMiranda received their units.
Video limits due to overheating are common and expected.
Shot schedules even incorporate.

hoodlum

Mu-43 Top Veteran
This person's R5 shut down from overheating while just shooting images.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1657029/0

"I am reporting extreme overheating just shooting stills. I had the camera shut down and the Canon battery that came out was extremely hot. "

"I see a flame in the upper viewfinder. It was very hot out but a dozen different cameras used at that location in over 10 years and never had one shut down from heat. "

"I was shooting very little but locked on a stationary bird off and on for an hour using the viewfinder in high rate setting. "

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom