1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Canon Pro 100 Printer $98 after rebate

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by DynaSport, Mar 31, 2014.

1. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    • Like Like x 1
  2. riverr02

riverr02 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    New York
    Rafael
    It's a great printer, and you're getting it at a fabulous price. Enjoy!

3. armoredpig

armoredpig Mu-43 Regular

Mar 28, 2013
    I jumped one one--but am a little worried about the waste pad being non-user replaceable.. Anyone have experience with taking the printer apart to replace and reset the count?

4. runner girl

runner girl Mu-43 Regular

Nov 26, 2011
    I bought this one a few months ago with a similar deal. I would usually not buy my ink from Canon directly as I thought it would be more expensive. However, it is the same as Amazon and 2day shipping is free over $50 AND there is always a deal for free paper. In my last order I got 150 4 x 6, 20 5 x 7, and 70 8 x 10. I have so much free paper I'll never use it. I have even gotten free 13 x 19. Ink is so expensive that they should give both the paper and printer for free - so take advantage of it.

5. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    $98 isn't even the lowest these have been! This rebate has been going on since the beginning of last year, they just renew it every 3 months or so. I bought 2 last year for I think $70 and $80 after the rebates (and both with paper included too).

6. spdavies

spdavies Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 9, 2013
    Hawaii
    Stephen
    Deal has been renewed with slightly different terms - now good until July 31.

7. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    I started to buy one of the high end Pixma printers just because I hate having to apply for and wait for rebates, but ultimately decided it would be dumb to get a slightly less capable printer for more money just to avoid the rebate hassle.

8. spdavies

spdavies Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 9, 2013
    Hawaii
    Stephen
    I read thru the extensive comments about these Canon deals -
    the upshot about the rebates seems to be that you have to follow every detail very carefully and to TAKE PICTURES of everything you send in, especially any cut-out bar codes, etc.
    Seems some people send them in and then get a notice weeks later that their claim was denied because bar codes weren't included.
    Without photos, you have no proof . . .

9. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    I do that with every rebate I send, of course you'd take the steps to protect yourself with a $300 rebate! The system they have is by far the best run rebate I've ever dealt with. You can even pre-submit and track electronically. I received both of the rebates I submitted within 3 weeks as well, pretty much un-heard-of turn around. Now I have a nice full printer, a 2nd set of ink, 100 sheets of paper (2 types) and a back-up if the 1st printer breaks!

Also, you can submit multiple rebates so long as they are purchased from different retailers and have a unique rebate code. The larger retailers (amazon, BH, Adorama) each get their own unique rebate code. Smaller regional shops all fall under a single rebate code (places like hunts photo, unique photo) so you could only claim 1 rebate total from the smaller sellers during a particular rebate period.

10. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    I did a similar rebate on its older cousin the Pro 9000 mkII (very happy with that printer and the Pro 100 is effectively its replacement). I had no trouble with getting rebate, but yes absolutely positively be sure to follow everything to the letter. Take pictures of *everything*. Ideally use the option to pre-register the rebate on line as that will give you some tracking right from the start of the process.

In my DSLR past I did a lot of complicated Canon lens rebates - huge savings but again you wanted to be sure to document everything thoroughly. Lots of $$$ on the line.

Remember, these rebates are rarely processed by the OEM (Canon in this case). Instead the OEM gets bids from rebate processing companies and they take the lowest bidder. This bidder has taken the contract for a fixed price and then makes a profit by minimizing the number of rebates validated. On top of that even if they don't go out of their way to reject rebates some of them actually use at home workers to process the rebates ("Make $X/month working from your home!") so your forms and UPCs could in the end be going to a house somewhere in Kansas filled with cats and toddlers being processed in the middle of the night by someone as a second job. No wonder things get lost.

If things get so bad it looks like bad PR to the company then the next year they'll change processors, the rebates will get a little less generous to account for the higher bid of a more scrupulous and less inept processing company.

If, however, you've got copies of everything you did and things go south with the normal processing you can usually contact the customer service or PR folks at the OEM and get them to intervene. Over the years I've seen this happen to multiple companies with rebates. I've been lucky and not had any problems so far, but I know it is always a risk.

Copy everything, photograph everything, follow the instructions carefully.

11. jziegler

jziegler Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2012
    Salem County, New Jersey
    James
    Also, watch out on the bar code that you send. I sent just the bar code, and was initially denied the rebate on my Pro 9000 ii. They actually want the whole panel that has the bar code and a couple other things in a larger rectangle on that side of the box. I eventually got the rebate by faxing in some additional information. But it was extra work for me.

Also, it might be worth waiting, slickdeals has posted these going for less than $50 after rebate. Sometimes you have to call B&H to get a lower price than on the website.

12. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    Mine should arrive in the brown truck tomorrow. I will certainly be following the rebate advice; I had a close call with a rebate on my OM-D last year but was saved by a friendly and cooperative customer service person after they managed to loose my paperwork and UPC code. I'm looking forward to expanding my photography skills to include printing, which thus far has been completely outsourced.

13. riverr02

riverr02 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    New York
    Rafael
    I have to say the rebate process for me when I purchased it last year (for ~ $80 US) could not have been smoother- or faster. Turnaround time was very quick, and I received a $300 VISA gift card- that promptly got converted to Amazon money so as to not lose any value.

14. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    I like mine a lot (got it in the fall), but keep in mind that it's as big as a house.

I don't print THAT Much but it's hard to argue with 100 bucks. Now I've started to get some little tiny lines in some of some of the solid colors (blue sky for instance), not sure if it's because the one grey cartridge is starting to get low or something else is going on.

15. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    Run a cleaning cycle on it, and there is a test page you can print as well. I occasionally have this happen on my 9000 mkII and usually one clean cycle is sufficient. Be glad it isn't an Epson, those dang things clog nozzles every day and suck half a cartridge to clear them.

• Like Like x 1
  16. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil

Gotit, thanks. That actually makes a lot of sense as I don't really use it all THAT often, maybe every few weeks or so.

As far as the rebate goes, I got mine fairly quickly--which was quite a relief obviously, as that's a lot of money to just have hanging out there.

17. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    Received the printer today, but didn't get home myself tonight until after 9:00 so getting it out of the box and set up will have to wait. Based on the size of the box, the thing is huge.

18. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    It is really big, and I had a hard time positioning it in the "studio"/office.

But I had a lot of fun already, making some 13x19 inch prints of the grandkids with the Canon paper they included in the deal. This great deal has already cost me another $500 - I was so excited about the large prints, I ordered some wood frames, mats, a backup set of ink cartridges, some 4x6" paper to make test prints on, etc. LOL.

This printing stuff is another whole set of skills to learn, after using the camera, and learning post-processing.

Rebate stuff all mailed out yesterday.

• Like Like x 1