Canon PowerShot G7 X Mark II

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by Danny_SWE, Jul 22, 2016.

1. Danny_SWE

Danny_SWE Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 30, 2013
    Sweden (Gothenburg)
    Long story but I bought a new compact camera today. Something that was like Olympus XZ-1 but a little newer. I was reading many hours on the subject this night, it was many competitors, like the RX100 IV which at the first glance looked like the wet dream but then I found out that it wasn't, no matter if the price is riddicilously high. Some other models were interesting also, like the TZ100, or the XQ2. Unfortunaly Olympus offerings is not good in this area nowadays, the XZ-10 is nice but felt a little "old".

Ever since the Canon S90 I have had my eyes on their premium compact series. I bought some G8 (think it was the 8) for a previous job I had and that was really great but not so compact. First compacts I had was the A85 and S3IS but after that I left Canon and got into 4/3 instead. Then last summer I was looking at a XZ-1 replacement and the G7X I got my attention for real, but I didn't felt the real need then. But now the need came again. So I decided to go for the G7X II. There was ONE in store in the whole city so I went there when they opened to try it. And it felt really good, so now I'm a happy owner.

Canon G7X Mk II
    by Daniel Cederberg, on Flickr

- No EVF is fine for me.
    - Lens 24-100mm f/1.8-2.8 is really fantastic.
    - Paired with a 1" sensor you can get really nice photos.
    - Charger included but can also charge via Micro-USB, terrific.
    - Quick to start, operate and shut down.
    - Flash recharges quite slow though, but I don't use flash so often (that's why I wanted the fast lens in the first place).
    - Video "ok" but no more or less. But that's really fine with me also :)
    - No hotshoe. Don't bother me. Included flash is ok and can tilt.
    - Tiltable screen that works in a new way for me, you can either pull from up or down first, great!
    - Menus are actually really great! Easy to find and operate. Whole camera is really touch-driven also which is fine. Because...
    - The scroll wheel is terrible, the "same" as on GM1. But as said above, not used too much.
    - Handy size/weight, not too small but can still carry in a pocket.
    - Like the dedicated expo wheel.
    - The lens ring operation is either with click or smooth controlled by a small switch. So great!
    - Resolution is great. But that makes the noise apparent also, but I compare with m43 so that's really unfair, images are great.

Only sad thing is that it feels now as a step away from m43 but if it works good I don't see it that way. It will be a complement, tomorrow for instance I will have it as normal zoom paired with the GX80 with 100-400 and also Fisheye and Macro in the bag. I like normal zooms so it's to always have a such camera ready besides the m43.
    • Like Like x 5
  2. Danny_SWE

Danny_SWE Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 30, 2013
    Sweden (Gothenburg)
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    That definitely seems like one of the best compacts today. The lens has a better range than Sony RX100.
    Did you look at the Nikon 1" sensor compact?
  4. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I keep looking at the Canon and Sony 1" compacts. Sony has some key spec advantages, but the price and lack of touchscreen are real turnoffs for me. Canon doesn't have 4k, but neither do the compact m4/3 cams.

When you factor in the lens speed and sensor size, you gain 2 full stops over a kit zoom, but lose one stop of noise due to sensor size. Net advantage is somewhere around 1 stop for the 1" cams with the fast zooms. So you can essentially consider the G7 X like a Panasonic GM1 with a 12-50 f2.4-3.8 pancake. Pretty attractive when you think in those terms!

I've been looking at the GM1 with 12-32 for my wife (and for me to borrow :)), but then I see Canon's G9 X that has a 28-84 2-4.9 zoom and is truly pocketable for about the same price. In m4/3 terms thats 14-42 f2.7-6.6. So pretty close to a kit lens on a m4/3 cam.

I'm quite interested in them myself, but they have been delayed indefinitely due to production issues. The DL 18-50 should be wonderful for city, street and landscape shooters. It's got a lens that would be like 9-25mm f2.4-3.8 on m4/3!
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Danny_SWE

Danny_SWE Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 30, 2013
    Sweden (Gothenburg)
    no I haven't noticed those ones. Looked now and the DL24-85 is like a G7XII but with hotshoe :) nice cam it seems.

yes, I can't live without touchscreen. Tried an LX100 not too long ago but got really turned of by that.

Yes, that's how I think also, imagine that lens 12-50/2.4-3.8, it would NOT be pocketable :)

I have the GM1, and the 12-32 also, it's a very nice combo! Solid perfomer and not much bigger than G7X. I would have used that instead but my GM1 broke :( I was actually considering the G9X also but wanted 24mm wide and a little more range also. But that camera is very tiny for a 1"! I grabbed comparing photos :)

G9X compared to G7XII

LX100 compared to G7XII

GM1 compared to G7XII

6. Danny_SWE

Danny_SWE Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 30, 2013
    Sweden (Gothenburg)
    I haven't posted a comparing shot with my successor :) as you can see with my grip there it is very similar in appearance (besides from the lack of hotshoe).

The lens on the XZ-1 was something extra ordinary. I really loved that camera. Too bad they didn't continue the line.

XZ-1 compared to G7XII

7. Danny_SWE

Danny_SWE Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 30, 2013
    Sweden (Gothenburg)
    ohh, and BTW. I mounted a display protector today. The same Brotect as I have on my GX80. But the aspect ratio was slight different. Height is like 0,1mm space on each side but on the width it is like 1mm on each side. Nothing visible though if you manage to get it good located.
  8. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    Wow, that G9X is tiny! I didn't even know about it. On the radar now :)
    I am still using LX7 with LVF2 viewfinder, when I can't use m43, which is not often, so will probably stick with that for a bit longer.
  9. Danny_SWE

Danny_SWE Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 30, 2013
    Sweden (Gothenburg)
    yes, the G9X is tiny for sure. But the lens is not so versatile and no tilt screen. I think it's not much of a step up from a good mobile phone actually.

LX7 was on my radar before when buying the XZ-1, very good camera that one, lasts long I can guess.
  10. Danny_SWE

Danny_SWE Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 30, 2013
    Sweden (Gothenburg)
    Tried my new combo today on a rain forrest exhibition in town. G7X paired with the GX80 with PL100-400 (and also macro and fisheye in the bag). It was a fantastic setup. G7X cover 24-100mm and then the PL100-400 handles the longer range (and macro at distance). Use to do like this with my XZ-1 before also, very handy. I don't like changing lenses too often so better have two bodies and preferably one pocketable so you don't have to hang two cams around your neck :)

G7X with GX80-100400.jpg
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Danny_SWE

Danny_SWE Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 30, 2013
    Sweden (Gothenburg)
    But I have found something very odd.

In the aqaurium section of the exhibition I should take a photo of some rocks in the stingray basin. Was zooming in about half range but the camera couldn't find focus. Tried again, and again, and again, both single AF and multi AF. No luck! It locked and got green but it was very unfocused, same result every time. Then I zoomed in a little more, then it worked!! Tried some other things, then got really frustrated so I shut down the camera and started it again. Then it worked!! How strange.

I can't think that the lighting conditions affected in a negative way, it was dark around but the subject was very well lit.

Photo of a succesful whole subject, this was the one I struggled so much with until I restarted:

Here is the zoomed shot when it first worked:

That got me very disappointed. I hate when you can't trust the equipment. Maybe it was only once!? Don't know. Anyway, tomorrow I will go for a trip and bring this one as only cam, I really hope it works good.

Also the power zoom on compacts gets some time to get used to. Can't see myself having this as primary camera but it's good for non-photo trips and as complement.