1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Canon Powershot G1X gets DxOmarked

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by Amin Sabet, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    DxOMark - Canon PowerShot G1X Review

The G1X uses a sensor which is sized in between Canon APS-C and 4/3. For all the bellyaching about 4/3 sensor performance, dynamic range, etc, it's interesting to see that all the DxOmark curves for the G1X are nearly identical to the curves for the Panasonic GX1. I'm not talking about the overall score (which is also close) but rather the primary data itself.

It looks like Canon is "keeping it real" with the sensor, avoiding the kind of on-chip smoothing we're seeing from Nikon, Sony, and Pentax.

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Good to hear. I like the images I get from my Micro Four-Thirds camera. ;)

3. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I think any hardcore M43 user turns off NR anyways for maximum sharpness!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    M4/3 or 4/3 user... This has always been the common practice. :)

5. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I have to turn on NR if I'm taking shots with large swaths of color. If not even the sky has a ton of noise. For other purposes, I leave it off.

6. taran

taran Mu-43 Regular

Oct 19, 2011
    Canon's first entry into this segment bests the GX1 sensor by about %10. Not bad, now I will wait for the low light AF response before further judgement, but a legitimate large sensor compact will be good for everyone methinks.

7. bunguar

bunguar Mu-43 Regular

Jun 18, 2012
    Iceland
    Kari
    The focus from what i have seen in low light is terribly slow

8. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I think it's funny how depending on what exactly is reviewed :wink: we like DXO Mark or we hate it....

9. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I consistently like DxOmark sensor tests except for the fact that they reward companies for on-chip smoothing with a good low light summary score

10. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Not sure what you're getting at so let me take a guess. For example, you're saying the Nikon D3S is over-rated at its low light performance?

11. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I think it's more the Pentax K-R and K-5 with it's noise-reduction that applies to RAW files and cannot be disabled. Aside from being particularly efficient, the Nikon D3S uses a perfectly normal approach to low-light imaging. Certainly no cooked RAW files...

DH