Canon Pixma Pro9000 Mark 2

Discussion in 'Printing' started by neofx19, Jun 16, 2012.

1. neofx19

neofx19 Mu-43 Regular

May 16, 2012
    Just bought this printer yesterday, what an amazing printer at an affordable price. $299 CAD + Tax. Would of bought in BHphoto but 1) Having to pay for shipping + duties and taxes is a bummer 2) Mail in rebates - not a fan. Bought it at They still have a bunch left so if anybody is interested (especially those from Canada) this is a really good deal. Question for those who use this printer...

Do you buy original Canon inks or do you buy 3rd party? If you did buy 3rd party how did the color come out?
  2. dave37

dave37 Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 3, 2012
    Alabama, USA
    A good printer for the money I have had mine for about a year and a half, and I am satisfied with it. Not great B&W. I have been using 3rd party inks, and is doing well. If you have a 3rd party company you are satisfied with, go for it. I say this because there are a few crappy ones out there, from my experience.
  3. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Cincinnati, OH
    Jerry Jackson Jr
    I just picked up the Pixma Pro-1 and love it but I am currently debating whether to stick to Canon inks or go with a 3rd party. For now I think I will keep using Canon inks because I had some bad experiences with 3rd party inks in my old Epson printer ... but the price of the Canon inks is pretty dang high.
  4. chip

chip Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2012
    Connecticut, USA
    I have the Pixma Pro9000 Mk II. I use Canon's inks only. Not sure why, other than the fear factor, I guess.
  5. troll

troll Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 25, 2012
    I'd stay away from 3rd party inks for expensive "thermal jet" printers (Canon/HP, well pretty much all printers except Epson), killed my Canon a year ago. It works fine until you get unlucky and run into a "not so great" batch of inks. Epsons can get much more abuse, but "thermals" are just too delicate. On the other hand, for a $300 printer it's not that a big deal, so if you print a lot and don't care much about longevity of your prints—3rd party is a good option.

Just keep in mind that many 3rd party inks fade quickly, colors will shift if the prints are exposed to light, you'll start seeing the difference in a ~ month or something (for some inks it's as soon as a week, while with others colors will be fine for months), and it gets worse over time. I just use 2 printers, one with Chinese inks and CISS (very decent inks actually, one of the best 3rd party ones I've ever tried) for "not important" stuff, and the other filled with original Ultrachrome for keepers. Third party might actually look better than originals sometimes (if profiled correctly of course), it's just the longevity (and stability) that differs.
    • Like Like x 1