1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Canon Pixma Pro-1 = AMAZING

Discussion in 'Printing' started by JJJPhoto, Jun 28, 2012.

1. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Cincinnati, OH
    Jerry Jackson Jr
    Finally had time to "really" use my new Canon Pixma Pro-1 this week. I printed a couple of 11x14 images right after I got it but yesterday I printed a collection of images ranging from 11x14 to 13x19.

I have to say I like it a great deal more than my older Epson wide format (A3+) printers. Once you've installed all the drivers the printer does an AMAZING job of managing color without you needing to intervene manually. If you select the option in Photoshop to let the printer manage color the printer reads the color profile for your monitor (yes, you should calibrate that) and the printer then produces a print that is a spot-on match to whatever is on your screen.

Not only are the colors great but there is a surprising amount of detail in shadows and highlights. I compared a couple of prints from the Pro-1 to the same images printed from the Epson R1900 and the Pro-1 results are more color accurate and show more detail in the shadows.

I wish this printer and its ink tanks weren't so expensive (around $30 per tank) but this is honestly the best solution I've personally seen for making large prints without waiting for a pro lab.

2. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    Mac or Windows environment? Printing from what software package?

(ready for a new printer...)

3. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Cincinnati, OH
    Jerry Jackson Jr
    I'm using Windows 7 and Photoshop CS5.

4. chip

chip Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2012
    Connecticut, USA
    I've been thinking of getting the Pro-1. Did you consider the Epson R3000, since you were coming from the Epson environment?

• Like Like x 1
  5. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Cincinnati, OH
    Jerry Jackson Jr
    Yes, I thought aboutto other Epson to replace my old Epson but I got a great deal on the Pro-1 and I was very interested in the initial claims of incredibly accurate auto color management. I have been extraordinarily impressed with the results from this printer.

6. timein

timein Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 9, 2011
    I thought it would be hard to get a great deal on the pro 1 since they were still hard to come by. I know that both canon and epson have great discounts on some of their other printers but haven't seen any on the pro 1.

7. SamMcCarthy

SamMcCarthy New to Mu-43

Jul 19, 2012
    Can you share with others how/where to get a great deal on the PRO-1?

8. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I don't know what the differences are between the Pixma Pro-1 and the Pixma Pro9000 Mark II, other than that the list price of the Pro-1 is twice that of the Pro9000 II, but you can currently pick up a [thread=29290]Pro9000 Mark II for US$139[/thread] (after rebate). That's seems like an incredible deal. Considering that the ink cartridges cost US$86 by themselves, you're getting the printer for US$53.

9. humzai

humzai Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 17, 2012
    I was thinking about getting the proo 9000 mkii but I dunno. I want to get an epson 3880 and I feel that despite the increased the large ink tanks will make up the difference.

10. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    My Epson 2200 is still chugging along after 10 years! The firewire broke a few years ago, but other than that (and I'd imagine a gross ink sponge inside) it's still going. I think about upgrading to the lowered ink consumption etc, but I still love the thing.