1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Canon owner, help me...

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by RenaudVL, Jun 18, 2012.

1. RenaudVL

RenaudVL Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 21, 2011
    Been shooting with my OM-D since April now...
    Make me wonder if I going to use my Canon gear enough to justify the investment.

Canon gear:
    5D MkII, 17-40mm f4 L, 24-105mm f4 L IS, 300mm f4 L IS, 1.4x III

:43: gear:
    OM-D, Oly :43: 9-18mm, Oly :43: 12-50mm, Oly :43: 40-150 II R, Pany :43: 100-300mm

I do know that the 5D MkII is superior on some point of view, but for the average shooter...? many $$$ invested there... :confused:

2. rstrader

rstrader Mu-43 Regular

Apr 12, 2012
    Colorado Springs
    When you figure it out let me know. I'm sitting on a Sony a900 that seldom comes out of the bag any more. I have the Zeiss 24-70 2.8 and the Zeiss 85 1.4. And that's a lot of $$$ too!

With the zoom mounted the thing must weigh in at 15 pounds! But the pictures... sigh...

3. Locster

Locster Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2010
    Well if you need more Alpha gear let me know. I'm selling my set to go m43 full time! :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. heedpantsnow

heedpantsnow Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 24, 2011
    What style of shooting do you do?

I find for landscapes my m4/3 system is superior. But I don't do sports...not sure the focus system of m4/3 is up to it.

5. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Keep shooting your m4/3 gear and see if you miss the Canon gear or what it is capable of. If you don't miss it over a period of time and you would appreciate having the funds from it more... let the Canon gear go. I don't see how anyone else can answer this question for you, as there are aspects and qualities of any camera kit you can name that any other gear doesn't duplicate. You need to get to the specifics of your needs and how well the gear meets those unique specifics before you can answer this question for yourself.

6. heedpantsnow

heedpantsnow Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 24, 2011
    What style of shooting do you do?

I find for landscapes my m4/3 system is superior. But I don't do sports...not sure the focus system of m4/3 is up to it.

7. rstrader

rstrader Mu-43 Regular

Apr 12, 2012
    Colorado Springs
    The Sonys really are great cameras. I'm going to use the 24-70 on one of my Pens the next time I go out taking landscapes. The fact that you can use just about any lens on :43: is one of its major selling points to me.

You don't happen to have the 35 1.4 do you? Did I just say that out loud?

8. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    if you wont be using the canon gear for work/pro use (see - earn money), IMO the om-d is more than enough (heck, even with the om-d you can shoot some pro stuff)

9. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I'm going to wait and see how things pan out. I'm keeping the 5DII and a selection of glass, but considering selling off the 100-400 (the 70-200/2.8 IS is already gone, helped fund the 7-14). For portraiture and landscape, the 5DII still outperforms the E-M5 (slightly greater dynamic range and more resolution, and particularly depth of field control with the 135L or the fast fifties or 35L), but the margin is getting very, very narrow. I do think I'll take the 5DII traveling with a 24-105 and a fast prime, and have the E-M5 along for ultra wide and a few pancakes. And eventually a telephoto zoom. If the results deliver what I think they will, the L glass collection gets to shrink some more.

I also do have an infrared converted 30D, though, so at least SOME Canon glass stays. I may even take it along more often now that the E-M5 can cover a lot of the rest of the range.

10. Uwharrie

Uwharrie Mu-43 Veteran

May 10, 2012
    North Carolina
    Lynne Ezzell
    After finally having a chance to shoot at the dog show this weekend I can say my Canon equip. is staying. I missed the focus speed and low light capability I get with the 70-200 2.8 and while I got some nice bokeh with the OLY 45-150 on portraits it will never be equal to the 70-200 (yes I know better than to expect a lens that cost 10 times less to outperform) if I had the money I still would be investing in a new 5D.

11. MexicoMik

MexicoMik Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2012
    IMO, 4/3 doesn't do anything better than a DSLR; but it does many things as well as a DSLR for most practical purposes. If what it does as well fits what you do, then the size advantage is (at least to me) a huge advantage. I still miss some of the aspects of my D7000 on occasion but I sold all that gear after about 2 months into MFT.

12. RenaudVL

RenaudVL Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 21, 2011
    Thanks everyone for your feedback.

I shoot mainly landscape and birds and what ever catch my eyes...

I will hang on both system for a wile and test my level of satisfaction befor making a descision ...

Renaud

13. sdsyver

sdsyver Mu-43 Regular

Mar 14, 2012
    Northern Alberta
    Shawn
    I am feeling the same way. I had the D7000 and 4 good lenses. I kept two of them to use on the OM-D. Every once in a while I wish I still had my Nikon but overall I am very happy I made the switch. The size advantage is the main reason. I motorcycle lots and found that with the full sized DSLR it sat in the hard bags and the camera that got used was the one in the tank bag and readily available. It's a hard decision to make when you have both available to use at a moments notice. I sold my Nikon gear first and had to wait for the OM-D so I did not have your choice. If it were me I'd sell your Canon gear and use the money to invest on a couple new lens. The new Panasonic zooms coming out have my interest. Either way I'm sure you will be happy. Enjoy!

14. aage

aage Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 17, 2012
    Iceland
    Same boat here . I have a D3x Nikon along with many nice Zeiss lenses. I´m seriously thinking of going full-time MFT. Have been doing few shoots comparing the OLY to the Nikon and ys the nikon is a little better quality vice, cleaner files at low iso , but then its the question if I need that little bit of difference as just a amator photographer ;-). Hard to justify having that kind of money invested in the Nikon and the Zeiss lenses. I´m mostly doing landscape , my kids. But I´m gonna use both for a while bf deciding.

I´m sure with the next generation of MFT sensor it will probably better my Nikon. Then no question about going full time MFT for me.

15. marz

marz Mu-43 Regular

Jul 5, 2011
    Pyrenees, France
    It's been almost a year since I got my GF1/20 kit, and I have only touched my EOS gear to photograph it for eBay auctions and other ad's since.

In all honesty I have to say that I'm sure there will be moments when I will miss the 1D's autofocus accurancy and speed, but than again I have not been shooting with it a lot the last two years, thats why I got the GF1 in the first place. So I feel confident that I won't look back.

16. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    At this point, my m4/3 kit meets all of my personal photography needs.

I retain my well used and much loved 5DII's and L-glass for professional applications only, but as I ease into near-full-time retirement from my lifelong photography career, I edge ever closer to letting the FF kit go. I may keep one 5DII body and the 70-200 f/2.8 L-IS strictly for professional portrait applications only, though the G3/GH2/E-M5 with the upcoming 75mm f/1.8 lens will come fairly close to giving me the same look as the 200/2.8 on FF sensor.

17. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Whether or not you're a professional photographer and how you make a living has nothing to do with your choice of shooting an OM-D or a Canon system.

If you can't make a living producing professional-grade photos with an OM-D body and Micro Four-Thirds system, then I would be seriously questioning your photographic skills and/or the quality of your lighting (most of all!) and lenses (your choice of appropriate optics for the job). I would not be questioning the quality of your camera, or considering that it's getting in the way of you getting your job done.

If you're a hobbyist photographer then who am I to say that your photographic standards are not the same or better as say, a commercial photographer such as myself... or any other photographer who "earns money" (full-time like myself or part-time like others)? Some working photographers in fact have very low standards, and deal with clients with even lower standards. The type of medium you shoot for also determines the standards required of you in various fields. Some fields draw upon the strengths of the Micro Four-Thirds system and makes the OM-D a better choice than your most expensive Full Frame DSLR (like the Canon 1Dx), Medium Format DSLR (ie, like the Leica S2), or Medium Format camera (like the Hasselblad H4D).

Your personal needs determine your choice of camera system, camera bodies, lenses, and accessories... whether you're a professional, semi-pro, hobbiest, enthusiast, or amateur. All of the above also have various budget constraints whether photography is a part of their living, all of their living, or none of their living. Most corporate businessmen have a much higher budget for equipment than a poor working commercial photographer such as myself, though I have some of the most stringent requirements for my job. Those like me who make 100% of our living from photography have to be the most budget-conscious of all, to ensure that our overhead (which is extremely high in this field!) does not eat up all of our meager income working in a "creative field". We need to know that our choice of gear will perform flawlessly as needed and satisfy our requirements without being overpriced and wasteful. I can tell you from many years of shooting professionally with Olympus gear that it is one of the systems with the best balance of performance and budget you can find, with brilliant engineering, practical design, and wonderful optics.

If a rich hobbyist who makes his money elsewhere and has $100,000 to spend on equipment and wants the best he can find for his hobby, then why should he not have better equipment than a professional photographer who only has a budget of say $20,000 (entry-level budget for a commercial photographer, but some other fields have lower budget constraints)? Whether or not you make your living from photography has little or nothing to do with the grade or price point of the equipment you buy. Those of us who do make all of our living in photography are the most disadvantaged, as people don't realize the cost of working in this field with the high expense of equipment and equipment failure... nor the work and time involved in creating a finished product for them. Many hobbyists are throwing around tons of money into the field and spending all their "spare time" without the need to make that money back to pay the bills, and the average client does not understand the difference in qualifications.

This next paragraph is about bodies, not lenses or systems... Professional Grade is a manufacturer classification to describe products which they make to suit the requirements of heavy use and ease of control. It does NOT determine what level of photographer should be buying the product, and rarely affects the quality of output in a camera body (this does not apply to optics - pro-grade optics do produce better resolution as well as offering other advantages such as wider apertures). Newer enthusiast-level bodies will often out-perform a newer pro-grade body, but are not built with the same durability in mind. The E-M5 happens to be a "semi-pro" build with control features, metal frame, and shutter life of a semi-pro body. The 5DII which the OP has is also a semi-pro body with a better shutter life but much cheaper build quality than the E-M5... and in my opinion not as nice of a control system, but that's personal preference (from a long-time Oly user) - the 5DII does have a lot more "hand room" and is not as cramped. A professional could be shooting with a :43: PEN or an APS-C 7D if it meets his needs. The fact that the manufacturer doesn't classify them as "professional grade" should make little difference to the choice of a photographer, as the professional is the one who is most knowledgeable about the tools of his trade and how they meet his own needs. What a "pro-grade" designation tells the professional is that this body is built to last a full product cycle of at least a few years under full-time working use... whereas he might have to go through a few of the cheaper cameras and replace them every year (or buy a few at once and have multiple bodies for the same price). If the cheaper bodies suit a photographer's needs better then that's what he buys, not what the manufacturer tells him is "built for a professional". I see a lot of photographers calling themselves "professional" who shoot with 7Ds, D700s, or even xxD Canons or Dxxx Nikons. The OM-D is higher-up in the Micro Four-Thirds lineup than a good bulk of what many professionals are shooting with in other formats. What's most important of all though (gear wise, besides knowledge/training) is your choice and use of optics and lighting. This is the same for any system.

Yes, I do understand that lack of native lenses is the major problem with the current Micro Four-Thirds system, but looking to the future that won't be a problem for long. However, even for the time being just about any lens can be mounted on the system and to many professional photographers the most important aspect is the system's ability to produce quality output. With the ability to mount virtually any lens and to hook up with any lighting system, while capturing full lens resolution through a weak AA filter... plus a 5-axis IBIS system... the E-M5 is more than capable of producing results. If things like native PDAF are a prime concern to you, then either get another system or learn new techniques that don't rely on it (these techniques have been around for decades and decades, as things like AF and C-AF are relatively new technologies in the grand scheme of things). Again, there are many different types of professional photographers with many different types of needs.

• Like Like x 1
  18. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    If you shoot birds, then keep the Canon system, I would even suggest supplementing it with an aps-c body like a 7D or 60D or whatever is coming down the pipe.

19. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    keep the m4/3. sell the canon gear for an entry level mamiya with a portrait and a landscape lens. To me that's a better allocation of resources. Quick and light m4/3, and the wonderful MF which are far more future forward and offer enough of a different view compared to the 35mm format. I just love the old mamiya rz/rb67's... Although I'll probably go with the 645 set up.

20. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    :rofl: You read it here, folks... especially you professional photographers! :rofl:

Leaf, Phase One, Hasselblad, Mamiya, Canon, Nikon, etc. are all obsolete and can now be gotten rid of... now that the exalted E-M5 is here, that is! :rofl:

Ned... I have no doubt that your Pen cameras meet all the professional requirements at your level of working, and you are a major fanboy for m4/3, but to make such statements, as you make above, about the broad field of professional photography is comical and misleading to amateur photographers who have limited knowledge of the world of professional photography.

I love my m4/3 gear, including E-M5, (as you can tell by the numerous images I post here constantly) and use the m4/3 kit all the time, but there is no possible chance that the amazing, magical, unbelievable OMD and a certain set of lenses is all that any professional photographer needs to earn his living - provided his skills are good enough. m4/3 is cool stuff indeed, but get real and watch out for that coolaid! :rolleyes:

So true.

There are many commercial photographers who are not poor, struggling professionals... at the highest levels of the profession, the budgets are quite ample to support gear of the highest levels, professional assistants and talent, and many professional photographers are able to earn substantial incomes in the field. That said, most photographers claiming to be 'professionals' are indeed struggling terribly and, in many cases, that has a lot to do with their skill levels, business acumen, and geographical location.

A great many photo hobbyists are far more skilled, creative, and talented than the majority of those calling themselves 'professionals'.

I agree with this statement.

Lastly, yes, our m4/3 system is a wonderful kit of gear and capable of many things, but it does not spell the end to all other camera systems, no matter how talented the user happens to be.