1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Canon or Epson

Discussion in 'Printing' started by fsuscotphoto, Sep 21, 2015.

1. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    I have a brand new Epson 1400 Photo printer that I've never set up, but now have the room to do so. I've also got the opportunity to pick up a Canon Pro 100 for almost nothing because of rebates. My question is, should I favor one over the other, is there any reason for me suspect tha the Canon would do a better job?

2. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    I currently have the Pro 100 and had the 9000II for 5 years. Compared to the Epson, the 100 uses 8 inks, along with USB will connect via Ethernet and WiFi, weighs 18 lbs more and comes with a very useful print utility called Print Studio Pro. It can be used as a plug-in to print from within Adobe products or Canon's Digital Photo Professional. The thing I like best is that when used as a plug in, you basically enter the paper you're using, and how big of a print you want and it handles all profile settings. Using the Luster or Platinum papers, I get really close matches to my calibrated monitor. And, in over 5 years of using the 9000II I never had a head clog, even if I didn't print for months. My older Epsons always had issues with clogs.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. fsuscotphoto

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    Very helpful as clogs were what I am afraid of. Did you attempt any monochrome?

4. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I don't know if it is because I live in the desert, but my Epson had at least one clogged cartridge every time we went to print. And then when you run a clean, it wastes ALL colors of ink to blindly clean all paths, even though only one is clogged. By the time it is done, then it tells you a color needs replacing. My wife would get so frustrated she would swear at it and threatened to toss it out the window. I don't think she was kidding! :eek:

She made my buy a Canon to replace it (We shot Canon SLR at the time) and in the six years since (Across 2 models), we have not had one clog. I don't think the print quality is different, but the stress sure is!

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    I've done monochrome with the 9000II and used the plug-in with it set to Monochrome. That way it only used the black ink, so no color cast and they looked very good. With Black, Medium Grey and Light Grey, the 100 should be better, or at least faster.

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    Did you get one yet?

I recently got that Canon 100 pro and it's fabulous. For $49AR,+free shipping+free paper, I feel like I robbed Adorama.
    The Prints look amazing (even from Kit lenses). I haven't printed B&W yet, but am sure they will look great. I was worried a bit about the size, because we don't have a lot of room, but it fit neatly on a 24"x24" table I had sitting around.

7. siftu

siftu Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    siftu
    I'm going to say I'll give a +1 to the canon pixma pro 100 but I have not tried the epson. It meets my needs perfect but I'm sure there are reasons to get the epson. I got it for $50 AR, then I got some 3rd party ink, a chip resetter and caps to keep me going. My printing needs are very amateur but this thing does surprise me even the odd 13x19 I print is full of detail and can easily go larger. Most of my prints are just for my photo wall and even if the photo isn't perfect on screen (noise and sharpness) it's more likely than going to be perfect printed at the size I print.

Iw5s2pNl.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. fsuscotphoto

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    Mine came by FedEx yesterday!!! I've got to get the rebate started so that I don't forget it. I'm going to sell my Epson and just use the Canon. Everyone that has ever used this printer seems to have no complaints except over the cost of ink. Over at www.improvephotography.com there is a video review that gives tips and really talks the printer up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    Welcome to the club. Yes the reviews are overwhelmingly positive. I've watched a lot of videos on youtube and I was skeptical about the printer/price when I heard about it (email from adorama). I'm so glad I got it and I look forward to printing all the time now. Epson seems to have more clogging issues and less vibrant colors from what I read. I'm happy though, I wasn't even considering a printer in the first place. I thought I'd have to spend $600+ to get this kind of quality.

There's a guy Jtoolman (Jose Rodriguez)on youtube and dpreview that has tutorials how to set up, use different papers/profiles and third party inks. I'm not sure I'll go 3rd party just yet, unless I have to refill really often...but he gives the pros/cons and seems big on precision inks. I got some watercolor paper like he has tried, but haven't used it yet. I garnered some other ideas from him. Canon has some tips/tutorials too that are useful. I haven't use their software yet. Prints out of LR5 just right.

10. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    For $49 with rebate I dump my R1900 but I only see $149 after rebate. ...

11. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    You missed it. It was like a 1 day flash sale for the extra $100 off. But from what I've read they happen a few times a year and the rebates are frequent. Still a good deal at $149 w/paper and shipping incl, but if you keep your eye out, you can prob get one for less. Black Friday is coming up too.

Also, I think I found out by signing up for Adorama's VIP program.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
  12. maritan

maritan Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    I'm waiting for the Pixma Pro-100 to drop to $49 after rebate. I missed it the last time around and I'm hoping I can snag one when the deal comes around the next time.