Canon OC-E3 Off Camera Shoe Cord 2

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by MrPhotoBob, Jul 12, 2012.

1. MrPhotoBob

MrPhotoBob Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2012
    I was running around for the past week or so trying to find an Olympus Off Camera Shoe Cord and could not find on in stock anywhere. I was constantly being told that I had to order one and wait for it to come in. I went to one of my favorite camera stores and ask one of the salesmen there who has shot with the Olympus system for years. He told me that he uses the Canon OC-E3 Off Camera Shoe Cord 2 on his Olympus cameras because both cords almost had the very same set up. Canon has a five pin configuration that is configured like the Olympus, but the Olympus only has four pins and is missing the fifth pin that the Canon has on the bottom left corner and they both have a locking pin at the top. I tried the Canon cord on my E-M5 and it works perfect, especially since there is nothing but wires running through each Off Camera Shoe and nothing to damage either one. Has anyone else used this type of set up on their E-M5?

2. lamdavi

lamdavi New to Mu-43

May 15, 2012
    Can you attach a Canon Flash on this cord with the Olympus camera and it works? I have a Canon 580 flash which I want to use on my EM-5. Thanks

3. MrPhotoBob

MrPhotoBob Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2012
    I would not recommend you doing that, now you are dealing with the electronics of one system being compatible with the electronics of another system. I am using the E-M5 with the Fl-600 flash. It would be the same as using a generic cord that had an empty hole instead of the fifth contact that would not be compatible with the Olympus system. The Olympus system has no use for that fifth contact since it has no fifth contact and that extra contacts on the Canon cord is being ignored by both the Olympus camera and flash.

4. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    No...it's just te Canon cord has contacts in te same places as the Oly flash system; Canon even has an extra pin which is unused on Oly.

As for the Canon flash, it's not recomended as it can damage the flash and/or camera. It's only te Canon cable tat's safe to use.