1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Canon, Nikon Entry Level Micro Four Thirds

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by dohearne, May 8, 2013.

1. dohearne

dohearne Mu-43 Regular

Apr 23, 2013
    Vermont, Virginia
    Dave Hearne
    My brother and his wife are considering moving up from a compact camera and are considering a DSLR. I have suggested a micro four thirds as an option, especially considering that my sister-in-law is most likely the more frequent user. I do not know the full range of these cameras. My question is in the entry level DSLR price range ($500-700) what are the micro four thirds cameras that might serve a similar purpose?

2. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
    Panasonic G3, G5, G6. Used OMD EM5's are around $700-750 now and GH2's are around $550. These are the only DSLR type with viewfinders in your price range. The G6 is the latest model going for $600 but don't know about availability. I have a G5, which is great and can be had for as low $300 used and refurbished, $400 new w/kit if you wait for specials. The EM5 is awesome but coming from P and S, the panny's will be plenty. The rest of m4/3 bodies are w/o viewfinders. The GX1 panasonic is fantastic and the Oly EPL5 and EPM2 are the latest iterations of several.

3. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    The GX1 is a great option for P&S upgraders. $250 bucks for body only. Use the rest of the budget for a nice lens.

The G5 is a great fully featured camera for a great price right now. It's more mid-level than entry-level, but if they want the form factor it's a really good camera.

4. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    I'll second the vote for the G5. It's a great camera that I almost kept. My EM-5 (w/ 1st piece of HLD-6 permanently attached) ended up winning out, but that combo is about $1000 for used.

5. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    +1
    You get an improved sensor over the 1st generation 12mp Micro Four Thirds sensors for an incredible price!

6. Darthpnoy88

Darthpnoy88 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 27, 2012
    California
    Costco has the G5 with kit and telephoto for 589 currently it's a great bang for the buck to jump right into Micro 4/3 world :)

7. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    I have a G5 and E-M5 and I love my G5. Mid level is okay for me, lol. I can make my art with it. The G5 has some kind of "X factor" for me that results in me picking it up more than the E-M5 -- though the E-M5 isn't going anywhere, lol.

8. snaimpally

snaimpally Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2012
    I bought the DMC-G3 for $299 with kit lens. The G3 has the 16MP sensor, viewfinder, etc. The G3 is around the price of a high-end P&S (SX-260HX, LX7, etc.). For a few more bucks, the G5 is priced in with the low end DSLRs like the D3100, D3200, 3Ti, 4Ti, etc.

9. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
  10. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    Not to mention greatly improved ergonomics.

11. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    G3/GX1 sensor is better at high ISO, which is likely to be of more value to someone trying to take pictures of running kids indoors.

GH2/G5 sensor is better at low ISO for people taking landscapes, etc.

12. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Where do you get the idea that it's better at high ISO? There is nothing that suggests that. DXO data show that both G3/G5 sensor pretty much converge at high ISO. You can say they're the same at high ISO, but certainly not that the G3 is better.

13. spatulaboy

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    My girlfriend shoots G3, I have a G5. They are comparable throughout the ISO range. I have not done any extensive comparisons, but the G5 files look no worse and perhaps better at high ISO.

14. DeoreDX

DeoreDX Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 13, 2013
    Alabama
    I'll go against the grain and say price to performance right now the Nikon D5100 is really hard to beat regardless of preferred format. I use my mu43 more than my slr but if I could only choose one or the other I would still choose the slr.

15. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    Why are they considering moving up from a compact camera and getting a DSLR? A camera is just a tool for solving a photographic problem. Without knowing what problem they are trying to solve, people are just going to suggest their personal solutions.

16. dhewie84

dhewie84 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2013
    According to DxOMark, the GX1 has a 703 low light ISO score, compared to 618 for the G5. It's better, but barely. That's what, not even a 1/4 stop?

17. spatulaboy

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    That the general mentality of the public. I know a lot of people who want to upgrade and got a DSLR, assuming that's the only way to get good pictures. The DSLRs often end up being too complicated and large for them, so they end up sitting at home unused.

18. rnagoda

rnagoda Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    Robert
    Yeah - it really would help to know the usage that the camera may see. There are certainly cases where the reasonable suggestion would be to stick with the DSLR plan rather than go m4/3, and there are certainly cases where the opposite is true (or something completely different, like not upgrading at all).

I'm also curious about the motivations for trying to talk them out of a DSLR in the first place, especially with the sister-in-law as the user being cited as a primary reason? Women can't use DSLRs?

19. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    THIS is the question that needs to be answered. :thiagree:

In my experience in order to wring any real benefit out of a move from a decent P&S to an interchangeable lens camera (DSLR or mirrorless) the user really needs to take the time to learn at least the basics of photography. Unless your brother and his wife are willing to at least begin to treat "photography" as a "hobby" then I would say that they'll be better served by looking at a quality P&S camera.

Ask questions that help you understand what limitations they are experiencing with their current camera. If it's just that they are seeing images they like posted on Facebook that were taken with DSLRs and they assume they will magically get that level of quality with a new camera they will almost certainly be disappointed, no matter what camera they choose.

20. spatulaboy

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Not that she's a woman, but that she's a layman. Most people who want to 'upgrade' want good looking pictures like they see online, but most don't want to learn. They assume fancy camera equals instant good pictures. I have 3-4 friends like this. They are disappointed with the results but instead of taking the time to learn they just don't use the camera.