Canon Mirrorless

Mu-43 Legend
What's wrong with the Canon sensor? Just curious.

With_Eyes_Unclouded answered this, and that was mainly what I meant. Sony seems in front on the sensors. Having said that, I guess I'd have to admit that the softness I found on my Canon DSLRs might not have been strictly sensor related and could have been due to a) a stronger AA filter, or b) the vagaries of CDAF front/back focusing issues, but I haven't been particularly happy with the APS-C Canons. The last Canon output I truly loved was the 5Dc, though I also like the XTi, but that might more fond memories than actual comparison to more modern cameras.

I don't want to be closed minded, so we'll see, but if it's APS-C (which means bigger lenses) AND it's a Canon sensor (that seems behind Sony), then what's the differentiator here? Maybe PDAF on the sensor???

krugorg

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Huh, so 22mm = 43mm equivalent? So, it really isn't going to be APS-C if the images are true.

I don't mind the look and I am sure it will have some interesting features (e.g. hybrid PDAF AF), but it looks like it will be a bit of an underwhelming release for me.

Real Name
Nic
If that's really the camera, it looks like Canon is going for the low-end. That looks like an interchangeable lens P&S. There are no controls on the top at all, and it doesn't look like there's room for an EVF.

Maybe, like Nikon, they'll have two bodies, and this is the more basic of the two. But it certainly doesn't look like something that will compete with m43, except maybe the E-PM1.

As long as the basic sensor/processor/lens/mechanicals are right (not yet guaranteed, of course), it'll be competitive. An abundance of external controls doesn't make a camera take better images.

Mu-43 Legend
One thing people who have been pining for Canon mirrorless (not on this board but others) seem to forget or never realized is that Canon has NOT been an innovator for years outside of DSLRs (and maybe not even inside DSLRs except with movie modes).

I remember waiting for their P&S lines to get:

• 16:9 video or HD video in compacts. They were like 1-2 years behind.
  • A pocket super zoom like the Panny TZ series. About two years behind the TZ3 before the SX200 showed up.
  • Fast/bright lenses on their compacts. Something faster than 2.8. I had already abandoned their point and shoots when they finally started shipping fast lenses, but I would estimate they lagged their competition 1-2 years.
  • 28mm wide angle in their G series. The G9 had 35mm as wide angle. The G10 was oh-so-exciting because it went to 28mm! I think that was when the LX3 was at 24mm. The G series is still only at 28mm today.
  • Articulated LCD in their G series (G11. G7-10 didn't have it).

etc. etc

Their compacts line coasted on their early superior sensors. Output from a Canon P&S, in my testing, was much better than Panny or Sony or any of the others about 5 years ago. If the EF-M line follows more closely to their point and shoots, then this will be a "me-too" product and not an "oh, wow" product, but the sensors are no longer clearly superior, and could be even inferior in some cases.

Mu-43 Legend
Huh, so 22mm = 43mm equivalent? So, it really isn't going to be APS-C if the images are true.

I don't mind the look and I am sure it will have some interesting features (e.g. hybrid PDAF AF), but it looks like it will be a bit of an underwhelming release for me.

22mm = about 35mm, so it could very well be ASP-C.

The 43mm on the lens should be the filter size, given the opening mark (is that a theta?) after the 43mm.

ean10775

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Eric
I'm not sure I understand why some are saying that it doesn't look like there is room for an EVF. If an E-PM1 can accept an EVF, I don't see why this camera couldn't.

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
more from potn

attachment.php
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

meyerweb

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
We mean a built-in EVF, ean. Yes, it might accept an accessory one, although I don't see any place for a connector. Here's a photo of the rear of the camera:

eosm2.jpg

And the lens mount and sensor. It looks like a 3:2 aspect ratio to me:

eosm3.jpg

Which raises a question. Why are these "leaked" photos always blurry?

With_Eyes_Unclouded

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Vassilios
Seeing the pics from Canonrumors, I speculate that A LOT of camera functions will be through the LCD. If this is an APS-C camera, then (proportionally) the LCD is very large and it will be most definitely touch sensitive.

This is most certainly an "entry level" camera for the EOS-M line. No way to have an EVF, consumer "style" controls (not that it's wrong, my E-PM1 handles just fine with the same philosophy).

Mu-43 Legend
more from potn

attachment.php

I hope Canon runs a matching simulator. I want to see this body with an adapter and a 70-200 2.8 attached to it ;)

Mu-43 Legend
Hmmmm... thought the thing to the right of the lens mount (when facing the camera) was a switch for a pop-up flash. It's not. It looks like it's the AF assist light (seen in the first of the 2 blurry shots -- that's a light reflection over a clear plastic covering to the assist light). So, looks like no pop-up flash, for those pop-up-flash fans.

brutto

Mu-43 Veteran
Which wins for most ugly?

Canon M

Nikon V

:rofl:

Easy, the Canon is totally bland and uninteresting - hideous to me but what do I know - whereas the Nikon is an outstanding piece of modern design. I know I'm in a minority in liking the way it looks but, to my jaundiced eye, it is fresh and bold. Surprisingly fun to use too and with even more surprisingly good IQ.

Real Name
Nic
Hmmmm... thought the think to the right of the lens mount (when facing the camera) was a switch for a pop-up flash. It's not. It looks like it's the AF assist light (seen in the first of the 2 blurry shots -- that's a light reflection over a clear plastic covering to the assist light). So, looks like no pop-up flash, for those pop-up-flash fans.

I think you're right. It's probably a combination of the AF assist and possibly the receiver for a wireless remote.

meyerweb

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Easy, the Canon is totally bland and uninteresting - hideous to me but what do I know - whereas the Nikon is an outstanding piece of modern design. I know I'm in a minority in liking the way it looks but, to my jaundiced eye, it is fresh and bold. Surprisingly fun to use too and with even more surprisingly good IQ.

To each his own. To me the Canon is just bland and uninteresting, the Nikon downright ugly. A brick has a much character as the Nikon.

In the end, though, I don't much care how it looks, if it works well. And from everything I've read the Nikon simply doesn't. The controls and menus seem to be completely awful.

addieleman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Ad
Apparently Canon is going to make the official announcement next Monday, so by then we'll know what their starter line-up will be. I agree with others that the camera itself doesn't exactly look like a game changer.

I'm more than a little interested, only because I hope they will come up with an EF(-S) adapter with electronic signals relay, so that the T/S lenses can be used on it. A T/S 17mm on an APS-C (Canon 1.6 crop assumed) would give about the same angle of view as the PC-Nikkor 28mm on my F3 of yesteryear. Would really like to have that again!

Latest threads

Top Bottom