1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Canon Mirrorless System Camera to Use APS-C Sensor

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Phillip Swanson, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Phillip Swanson

Phillip Swanson News Writer

Jun 15, 2012
    Michigan
    canon_concept3.
    Concept of the rumored Canon mirrorless camera

Not much is known about Canon's rumored entry into the mirrorless camera foray, but a new report claims the camera will use a APS-C sized sensor.

CanonWatch claimed in a report today that the new Canon mirrorless camera will utilize a new type of mount (ugh) as well as sport a APS-C sensore, but not the same sensore housed in the Powershot G1 X like many speculated. The APS-C sized sensor means potentially better low-light performance and shallower depth of field.

Thankfully (I guess) canon will provide and EF adapter for the new lens mount, but it likely will not ship with the camera. Canon's entry into the mirrorless market is long over due, and if they introduce yet again another mount I'm guessing Canon users will not be particularly pleased. Also, part of the allure of mirrorless cameras are their smaller form factors and smaller lenses. If Canon utilizes and APS-C sized sensor, Canon as well as other lens makers are going to struggle to create the compact lenses many m43 and other mirrorless system users enjoy.

July 23rd is the rumored announcement date, we'll know more then.

Source: CanonWatch

2. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Huh. Well I can imagine them not wanting to risk showing too good performance out of a 4/3 sized sensors as it would hurt one of their innate sensor size advantages..but this seems like more trouble than it's worth if you can't bring the lens size down.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Geoff3DMN

Geoff3DMN Mu-43 Veteran

If Canon were to make a mirrorless APS-C sensor with a mount that gave access to their L lenses I'd be all over it like a rash... but a new mount? nope.

4. MichaelJC

MichaelJC Mu-43 Regular

Sorry, I don't know how to put this less bluntly - you are in dire need of an editor/proofreader/dictionary.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I'm sure EOS lenses will fit with an adapter. I don't see a problem there... Lenses made for SLRs will always be usable on Non-Reflex systems, but you can't go the other way around. Canon would never have been able to make their body compact with an SLR mount.

6. sparkin

sparkin Mu-43 Regular

Nov 18, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    Or perhaps editore/proofreadere etc. (Couldn't resist).

• Like Like x 3
  7. A mirrorless Canon that uses the existing EF/EF-S lens mount would be the answer to the question that many people have asked, but for reasons I don't understand why. So yes, please Canon provide a new mirrorless camera designed from the ground up around a new lens mount with it's own unique system of lenses. Hmm, that concept sounds familiar, where have I heard of that before...

8. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Judging from the picture, I would pass. The large lens defeats the purpose of a compact mirror less camera. Its a big lens... 67mm filter size.

Bummer.. I've enjoyed Canon system products in prior years.

They do something correct in the mockup.... ISO is set not the dial like where it belongs.

9. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    If Canon had used a direct EF-S mount on their new Non-Reflex camera (like Pentax did), that would not make the EF-S and EF lenses focus any faster with CDAF. There would be no advantage over using an EOS adapter to mount the same lenses, while still maintaining the ability to use new native lenses on a shorter, more compact mount as well.

To answer your question... I think the answer was Four-Thirds and Micro Four-Thirds. Oh wait, was that a rhetorical question? :biggrin:

10. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    Also, part of the allure of mirrorless cameras are their smaller form factors and smaller lenses. If Canon utilizes and APS-C sized sensor, Canon as well as other lens makers are going to struggle to create the compact lenses many m43 and other mirrorless system users enjoy.

I don't know...while NEX suggests that its true. The Fuji lenses suggest that small lenses are possible at least to some degree.

11. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I think smaller lenses are perfectly possible. However, I think the squarer format used in the G1X (and of course Four-Thirds) is just so much smarter. The wide, 3:2 aspect ratio is just wasteful when dealing with a round lens projecting a round image circle. The lens has to be made to expose across the entire width of that wide sensor (either that or allow vignetting), but all the potential exposure on the top and bottom is simply getting thrown away and not used. So why not just use a 6:6, 4:3, or 5:4 aspect ratio sensor which is as long as APS-C but oversized in both directions instead of just one? The lens dimensions won't have to change, yet you would have a much bigger sensor for the same lens.

12. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    I wouldn' be so sure about that. I actually doubt the EF mount will have full functionality with another mount. Look how poorly they handled FD to EF.

13. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    T4i/650D already has on chip PDAF. All they have to do is pop that sensor into a mirrorless body.

14. Geoff3DMN

Geoff3DMN Mu-43 Veteran

The question is more whether full lens functions will be retained with an adaptor, I know lots of people enjoy manual focus but I simply don't.

As for being compact... well... it'd only be slightly more compact but more importantly it'd probably be significantly lighter (which is more important IMO).

I'm not looking for micro 4/3rds compactness.

15. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Its all perspective,... Canon abandoned and started on a clean slate leaving legacy FD users behind but that was the single engineering decision that gave them an early lead inthe marketplace, technology and performance.

Another case in point.

pentax was the first to release a 35mm/135 auto focusing SLR by the name ME-F. In was a modified ME with tacked on AF capabilities and full backwards compatibility with K mount lenses. It was a complete and utter failure.... Minolta released their AF camera shortly after and it was a Complete success!!! It was the first successful 35mm/135 AF integrated body.... yup you guessed it.... a completely ground up design that left legacy behind.

Often, good business and engineering sense and decisions have to be made with eyes looking forward rather than one looking backwards.

Personally, I hope Canon does a ground up design..... That would make it more interesting and not just a half hearted attempt.

• Like Like x 1
  16. The incompatibility from FD to EF was due to a physical constraint with both mounts having a similar flange distance to clear the mirror. History shows that while painful it turned out to be one of the best decisions they ever made. In the case of a mirrorless body an adapter is nothing more complicated than a spacer and some electrical contacts, as per the genuine and third-party 4/3-m4/3 adapters. I think there should be a provision for legacy support of DSLR lenses, but it shouldn't form the basis of the system.

• Like Like x 1
  17. I agree. If it's just a half-arsed attempt to leverage the existing EOS system lenses, I'm not interested.

18. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    with aps-c size sensor and shorter flange distance in a relatively small body, we have all seen what the nex system has to deliver and suffer from, they are smart because they know with bigger sensor it's easier to gain customers' identity and Canon might try to use differentiated parameters other than Sony's, it's still a choice between compactness and IQ, which is why I'm seeing m43 as a perfect balance.

but i question myself sometimes if i really need compactness? i love my gf3 for it's compactness and convenience over any other choices i could've made, but with the lenses i'm using it's not pocketable any more, and i guess that's what i feel like to sacrifice for the image.

19. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    EF was wiping Nikons butt for 5 years until the rebel adertising campaign saved it. Martketing ftw, and even then they were lucky, Agassi, who knew. Oh and I can still use K mounts. I can still use Pentax 645. I can still use Nikon mounts. I can still use mamiya mounts. I see no reason for Canon to do this. It's a cheap ploy to sell more lenses, and fleece their loyal users. I love the quality of their products, but how they treat their consumer rubs me the wrong way.

20. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    That pic has nothing to do with Canon. It's a photoshop mockup done by some photog with no insight into Canon. It's just something he thought was cool, no more.