1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

canon mirrorless rumor

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by cosinaphile, Jun 14, 2010.

1. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    from photo rumors

Canon APS-H 1.3x mirrorless
    By PR admin | June 9, 2010

This is the email I received about a potential Canon APS-H 1.3x mirrorless camera:

“Canon APS-H 1.3x mirrorless
    I was talking with a friend of mine who often tests EOS cameras, that I can’t wait any longer to buy my first mirrorless system but in the same time that am not satisfied with the IQ of any of the available offers (M4/3, NEX …etc)! He said “if IQ is what you want then maybe you should wait just a little bit longer”. What do you mean?! I asked. “Canon will soon be launching an APS-H mirrorless camera” he said. APS-C you must’ve meant?!. “No it’s 1.3x” he insisted. That’s likely to be heavier, bulkier and more expensive then the competition, I commented. “Not really, the size & weight aren’t any higher than Panasonic G1/GH1″. The price could be comparable to xxD, he is guessing based on the build quality & features of the almost-finalized version he tested.

Why would Canon use an APS-H sensor in that upcoming camera but not in the seemingly more demanding 7D class? I asked my friend. He thinks the main reason 7D didn’t get APS-H is that Canon already has two lines of SLR lenses and doesn’t want to add a third one to solve the UWA problem of 1.3x, but for mirrorless they have to introduce a new line of lenses anyway so the sensor can be any size. And Canon chose the APS-H according to my friend because of the following:

They think that APS-C in general and their 1.6x (versus others’ 1.5x) in particular is becoming increasingly difficult to improve on, update after update.
    Sensor production costs have fallen and there isn’t much difference between 1.6x and 1.3x for Canon.
    Canon develop a new 1.3x sensor for the 1D series every few years and no other camera shared the R&D cost with the 1D before, but this time round the 16MP sensor of 1D4 will have a new use.
    Weight and size can be taken care of by design. So a larger sensor does not necessarily mean a heavier and bulkier package than the competition.”

• Like Like x 5
  2. Jonas B

Jonas B Guest

Apr 23, 2010
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Wohoo!

I know, this is µ4/3 so it's like cursing in the church... But, I'm eagerly waiting for a FF LIVE camera and this is at least a step in the right direction. If true it's very cool.

Jonas

3. RonSmith

RonSmith Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 7, 2010
    Michigan
    Sounds interesting.

I wonder if current EOS lenses could be used on it.

And if it will have a built-in EVF.

And when I can have one.

4. Jonas B

Jonas B Guest

Apr 23, 2010
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    ...and what the register distance is, and if I can afford a T&S setup and...
    We live in interesting times.

5. adam

adam Mu-43 Regular

Apr 21, 2010
    Maryland
    I don't buy it. Canon won't do this because if such a camera were released, it would completely gut the sales of the Rebel series. And Canon has repeatedly shown a self-destructive reluctance to complete with themselves.

Also, the cost of an APS-H sensor would drive the body cost above that of the 50D no matter how many corners they cut elsewhere. Sensor costs increase exponentially as size increases. It will be a very very long time until it costs the same to make a 1.3x crop sensor as a 1.3x crop...by then, we'll all be shooting medium format.

If they do come out with a mirrorless design, it will have a 1.6x crop and will replace the Digital Rebel XS at a similar price point.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Bokeh Diem

Bokeh Diem Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 14, 2010
    Toronto
    Maybe they see the Rebel series as gathering moss, a bit long in the tooth and figger it's time to get on the bandwagon of change. They have missed out on a lot of market sawy by sitting this one out so far. By-bye Johnny Reb.

Bokeh Diem

7. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Hi, never heart of APs-H before. What it's size and MP. How about dynamic range. I expect that Canon, Nikon as well as Pentax will announce mirrorless cameras soon.
    Thanks for starting this thread !

8. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    This is what I'm looking for: a small camera , smaller then mft, less weight, smaller sensor, higher dynamic range, high ISO, modular system, high - low EVF, with option to download apps via internet. Or even a open courseware camera, even better ! All weather of course.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Charles2

Charles2 Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2010
    • Like Like x 2
  10. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Canon and Nikon aren't stupid. They see the writing on the wall. As reluctant as they've been to dive into the mirrorless world, they simply can't ignore the market data and have to come up with something to compete against Panasonic and Olympus. If the sales of this new product gut the sales of their Rebel series, then that says something doesn't it?

I think we'll see something in terms of either compact DSLRs or mirrorless cameras coming out from both Canon and Nikon soon enough (late this year or early next year). If they don't, they risk falling even farther behind Panasonic in market share and technology. At some point soon enough EVF technology will come close enough to OVFs that the difference will be academic, and people will switch in droves.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Bokeh Diem

Bokeh Diem Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 14, 2010
    Toronto
    Inevitability strikes again.

Bokeh Diem

12. crcal

crcal Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2010
    Honolulu, HI
    I hope Canon does this.