1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Canon lenses and adaptor rings

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by oxhouser, Dec 2, 2012.

1. oxhouser

oxhouser Mu-43 Regular

Nov 26, 2012
    I'm thinking of buying the olympus 45 mm f1/8 prime but already have a nice 50 mm canon prime lens, how would the canon lens plus adaptor ring perform, I know I would lose the auto focus but what about picture quality? Assuming the canon lens produces excellent results will their be a loss of quality once adapted to M 4/3?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    You wont be loosing image quality, in fact IQ may increase since you will only be using the sweet spot (center of the lens).

3. montaggio

montaggio Mu-43 Regular

I have a number of adapted Canon lenses, including both the 50/1.4 and 50/1.8. Love them on my OMD. To be honest, the only benefit that I see to the 45mm right now is auto focus. Also, I prefer the aperture ring on the lens (just done it that way for so many years). The pics I have seen using the 45/1.8 have been fantastic. Will likely buy one some day, but it will be after I get the black 12/2 and 75/1.8 if the ever make a run in black (yes, I probably am that shallow). In the meantime, I'm usually using either a Canon 50/1.8 or 135/2.5. Great adapted lenses.

4. Southcross

Southcross Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2012
    Denver, CO USA
    Edward
    I've been using a Canon FD adapter with my E-PL1. The image sharpness I've seen with my 135 2.5 SSC is spectacular, my only complaint is that it is a fairly heavy lens for such a small body. I've also played around with my 24mm 2.8 SSC, and soooomewhere I have a 50mm 1.8 that I have yet to try. I just recently picked up a Canon FD Macro bellows off ebay, can't wait to get it and try it out.

5. oxhouser

oxhouser Mu-43 Regular

Nov 26, 2012
    This is sounding promising, does the adaptor ring pass on the aperture settings from camera or must I use a lens that can have the aperture set manually on the lens body

6. dfreezy

dfreezy Mu-43 Regular

Oct 23, 2012
    Boston, MA
    Doug
    Are you referring to EF or FD mount Canon lenses? Something not mentioned is that AF lenses are notoriously bad for MFing (short throw, 'loose' rings, etc), especially the Canon 50s

7. Southcross

Southcross Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2012
    Denver, CO USA
    Edward
    the lens becomes completely "manual", no autofocus or aperture information is passed to the lens.