canon lens to gf1

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by steve reed, Mar 26, 2010.

1. steve reed

steve reed New to Mu-43

Feb 15, 2010
    halifax,west yorks, uk
    hi everybody, im sure this as been covered before but here goes. i own a gf1 with pancake lens and 14-45 lens. i was hoping to buy the 200 lens when funds are found?. i have got the chance to buy at little cost a canon 55-250 lens with built in image stabilizer, i know i will have to buy a converter but my questions are- will the lens auto focus & will the image stabilizer work [in lens]. if it does not autofocus how do you manually see the screen in fine detail & in bright sunlight. thanks. steve
  2. Rich M

Rich M Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
    Steve -

The short answer is NO.....but let's break it down. First, the Canon 55-250mm is an E-FS Canon will only fit on the APS Canon bodies (20D, 30D, 40D, etc).

There are no adapters to mount that lens on any :43: cameras.

IF you could, the auto-focus and IS would not work.

Sorry to break the bad news. The good news is that you have an awesome camera in the GF-1 AND an even awesomer (is that a word?) lens. Check out the photos people are posting here with that little combo. You could spend WEEKS shooting and never want another lens.

If you decide to go and find a MF (manual focus) legacy (old) could spend less than $75 for lens and the necessary adapter (I am thinking the Konica Hexanon 40/1.8).

There are great people here....keep asking questions.

3. wilson.c

wilson.c Mu-43 Regular

Mar 1, 2010

To answer your question. No, The AF, Auto-aperture and IS will not work. You can use them but only 'wide-open', manual focus and no in-lens IS is possible. If it was an older Canon FD lens, you can adjust the aperture and focus manually with the appropriate FD->m4/3 adapter.

You have to use the Manual Focus Assist which magnify's the image on the screen, in very bright sunlight, you may have to get some kind of shade or the EVF for your GF-1.

I've got a GF-1 and am loving all the possibilities it gives with some of the older manual focus lenses that I have, mostly Canon FD.

4. steve reed

steve reed New to Mu-43

Feb 15, 2010
    halifax,west yorks, uk
    canon lens

hi rich/ wilson.c. thanks for the reply, and yes it maybe bad news but its better finding out first before buying. ok so i will keep on saving until i can get the correct lens. thanks again fellows. steve
  5. Rudi

Rudi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2010
    Is there such a thing as a Canon EF to :43: adapter? I realise that I will lose aperture control and AF, but it might be fun to try...
  6. deirdre

deirdre Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 9, 2010
    I looked into this, and decided to stick with FD lenses because you'd need a Canon body to set the aperture, apparently.

Fotodiox has an adapter, several Chinese sellers on eBay do, and so does Rainbow Imaging.
  7. jpmccormac

jpmccormac Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    Canon EF > M4/3

Several posters indicated to me that the Fotodiox is a pretty good choice. Try this search on Fotodiox Lens Mount Adapter, Canon EOS EF EF-s Lens to MFT Micro 4/3 Four Thirds System Camera Mount Adapter, Olympus PEN E-P1, PEN E-P2, PEN E-PL1, Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1, GH1, G1, G2: Electronics