Canon L = Lumix X

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by zuzullo, Dec 14, 2011.

1. zuzullo

zuzullo Mu-43 Regular

Dear Panasonic.

Give us a PRO zoom-lens for m43.
    Give us the best. We will BUY it!

Key features:

• High-performance, (L-series alike)
    • Constant f/2.0
    • Image Stabilizer
    • Weather sealed
    • Zoom Lock system
    • Macro 1:2
    • Built in ND-filter
  2. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Hear, hear!

If it fills all of the features on that list, I would pay BIG money (we're talking at least 4/3's HG money, and maybe into SHG money here).

Image quality and OIS are absolutely mandatory. The zoom creep on the 45-200 is really annoying, and easy to fix, so let's make that one a must also.

Make it f/2.8 constant and the price I'm willing to pay comes down a little. Make it f/2.8-3.5 and it comes down A LOT. Without hitting almost all of the other points, I'm probably not intereted. Alternatively, though, I would pay the same or MORE for something like an f/1.4-2.8 than f/2 constant.

I own the 45/2.8 macro now and don't do much true 1:1 macro. If this lens could close focus enough for "semi-macro" stuff - flowers, food, etc - that would be a huge selling point.

Size: I know it will be bigger than the current slow lenses. I don't care. It doesn't have to be tiny - just make it smaller than any DSLR alternative, and we're good.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. zuzullo

zuzullo Mu-43 Regular

The words "less" "low" and "cheap" should not be allowed next to the red X ;)
    I tried the new Lumix X 45-175mm and I got deeply disappointed! :(
    It is just the SAME as the non-X version that we own!
    - Yummy!
    - Sigma has some tele-zooms with macro 1:2. That cant be too difficult to implement! Plus, 1:2 in m43 = 1:1 in 35mm. So actually even 1:3, in the m43 world, would be plenty of room to play.
  4. Bill

Bill Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2009
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill (really)
    Affording the current lens offerings is hard enough. I won't speak for others, but I saw the m43 systems as the best compromise between "pro" and p&s.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    no, 1:1 is 1:1, just the field of view is reduced. 1" of the subject is imaged on 1" of the sensor, we just have less sensor and therefore less field of view.
  6. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I hate to be Marie Antoinette, but, sorry. Perhaps you can afford them if/when they show up on the used market.

Just because people can't afford them doesn't stop every automaker from having an aspirational "halo" vehicle.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    ...and if it's gonna have the HD label...

- constant aperture
    - mechanical manual focus, or an electronic version of such (in other words, follow-focus marks should be true)
    - it can't breath while focusing.
  8. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    they will NEVER make such least until they make a body that is deserving.
  9. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Um.... since when did Canon make a Constant f/2.0 Aperture Zoom Lens in the L series?

I think what you're asking for is a Super High-Grade ZUIKO lens like that made by OLYMPUS, not a Canon L lens.
  10. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Not so sure Panasonic and Olympus see much of a market (yet). The recent "power zoom" lenses should give you a hint as to the results of their market research.

I don't think the membership in this photography forum is a good representative of the typical person who is sold on MFT. As Luke already said.... they need to make a body that is deserving.
  11. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke want to put a $2,000 lens on a $600 body?

There's an old saying that goes something like this...
    "Don't try to teach the pig to sing, it will only irritate the pig"

The pig can be enjoyed on its' own merits....just because it doesn't sing doesn't make it less beautiful.
  12. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    If that were released, it'd be one hell of a niche market. I want a pro lens, but I don't want something insanely expensive I can't afford. The 70-200's in other systems I can manage. This wish list sounds like a hell of a lot.

I want a simple 35-100/2.8 that is more compact than 35mm equivalents that performs optically and has stabilization. Weather sealing would be nice if they told us plans for weather sealed bodies.

Also, the ND filter needs to be on the bodies =)
  13. zuzullo

zuzullo Mu-43 Regular

That is a true statement but it is also true that:

A m43 body with a 1:2 macro lens gets the exact same FOV as a FF body with a 1:1 macro lens. Therefore the final photo will the same!
    That is why I often state that 1:2 in m43 equals 1:1 in FF.

How does this sound? :)
  14. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I want this lens, but I'm not going to pay the same amount as my Nikon 70-200 VR-II, especially since there isn't a true spec pro-body M43 camera yet. Weather sealing, DSLR like AF-C, vertical grip, etc.
  15. zuzullo

zuzullo Mu-43 Regular

Maybe you right! They also did not make a superb PL25 as many of us expected.
    But its hard to believe that it is because there is not "a body" for a PRO lens! In fact I believe that "magic", in m43, can easily happen with the right lens, not with a new sensor. Ok, a little touch in the ergonomics maybe but hei... more cameras will also come to the market!

Damn! I should have gone FF! hehehe
  16. zuzullo

zuzullo Mu-43 Regular

Are we, (most members at this forum), really a minority of the market that wishes a more PRO m43?
    I am aware that m43 is selling insanely worldwide to people that want "a little more but not too much". The problem is; when I am standing with a PL45+GH2, I am so close to the PRO level :) that its so easy to just wish they would make that insane lens that would get us there!

Built-in ND filter is a nice trick to get us the same DOF as the FF. Canon uses it in many compact cameras. Its a feature that PRO X could consider.
  17. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    There are NO special body requirements to have a pro-grade lens. xP A top-pro lens is a top-pro lens, and will deliver quality no matter what body you put it on. You can use a Zuiko 300mm f/2.8 on an Olympus E-510, and you can use a Canon 300mm f/2.8L on a Canon Rebel. Of course, the top-pro Zuiko will be better on the E-System camera because Olympus doesn't purposely limit functions on their entry-level bodies like Canon likes to do, but that's another matter. ;) Now, if you used a Nikkor 300mm f/2.8 on a Nikon 1, then maybe you'll be wasting your lens... or maybe not, because then you'd have an 810mm f/2.8, which might be what you want! :)
    • Like Like x 1
  18. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Yes.. we are the minority.

* Entry level cameras outnumber professional camera sales by a large margin. (those are the sales figures you are seeing)
    * Olympus and Panasonic have long been leaders in P&S. They have a name for themselves in those markets and offerings a step above with similar (familiar) design
    * Olympus and Panasonic have little presence in professional studios and field.

It takes a tremendous amount of investment and business risk for R&D of a professional line. It also takes a tremendous amount of service to support businesses that rely on their equipment to deliver a product. The business model is simply different. Right now, they are doing really well keeping the pipeline full at consumer levels and (important) a showing at local retailers. The latest offerings (power zooms, even smaller packaging E-PM1) are a indication of the results of their market research.

There is absolutely no reason that one cannot use the current cameras for professional use. Once more and more of these consumer level cameras make it into professional use, then I have no doubt the needs will be met with actions from Olympus and Panasonic. I wouldn't even be surprised if Panasonic (being the larger of the two) already has a design for a professional camera... they are just waiting for the right time to invest into such an undertaking. Personally, I like the route they are taking... it differentiates them from the big two as well as the sea of P&S offerings.

As for lens design, I'd like to see what type of magic they come up with to fit a high speed zoom into a package that doesn't make our compact MFT cameras feel off balanced. Whatever it is, it will probably be expensive. I noticed the other day that Olympus four third lenses are quite a bit more expensive than Nikon/Canon counterparts.... Perhaps Ned (and others) can comment on that.

PS> in other forums of primarily Canon and Nikon members, I noticed that the vast majority of the "hobby" oriented photographers are far better equipped than the typical professional (loosely defined.. not just your well funded media outlets). So much so that at first it seems like everyone shoots with a high end camera and line of lenses.... until you actually work a counter of a typical brick motor store. It is then you will realize that the vast majority of consumers are not equipped as such.... and those are the ones that spend hours posting on these photography forums. One of the best selling lenses for Tamron for example, isn't the 24-70 f/2.8 or the 70-200 f/2.8 but the 18-200/18-250/18-270 super zooms.
  19. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    Hrm, how does this work?

I think the point was more... if you have such a high spec pro lens, one naturally assumes they are targeting the pro's. Which there are very few of in the m43 world as of now. So why make this insanely expensive lens if you don't have the bodies to draw the pros in?

I get that, and agree with it mostly. However, it's all a chicken/egg problem, heh. So if it is super spec'd, maybe it'll demand bodies. But I'm more inclined to have it optically excellent, and everything else save for a new revision/line later. I think they'd pull more sales in and show they are "serious" about this. And more importantly, I can actually afford it =P
  20. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    It would allow you to run super wide apertures in bright light where you would otherwise be shutter-speed limited.

Let's say the camera metered at ISO 160 f/4 1/4000. You could use your f/2 lens with a 2 stop ND at ISO 160 f/2 1/4000

This would only be effective in really bright light though.