Canon ILC not far away?!

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by okinana, Mar 24, 2012.

1. brianb032

brianb032 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2011
    My bet is that Canon won't throw in all their chips on a mirroless system. The reality of their new system will likely be more disappointing than a fictitious rendering from the blog-world.
  2. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Canon has the same problem as Nikon, there is no way something like this sees the light of day from Canikon because they will not risk DSLR sales.

Canon has already shown it's hand for it's competitor to the mirrorless field, and it ain't an ILC.
  3. bedojo

bedojo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 14, 2011
    if it is as awesome as that guy wants it to be, i would totally get one, I love canon :p
  4. dylandingo

dylandingo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 12, 2011
    La Crosse, WI
    If canon came out with that camera I'd buy it. I sold my canon dslr gear for my olympus e-p2 and panasonic gh2 but I have always been a loyal canon fan, I just don't like the weight anymore.
  5. BSH

BSH Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2012
    I don't see that concept coming to life. Canon doesn't seem to have any interest in building anything retro, which Fuji & Oly have covered very well indeed. I second what tc said above - the likelihood of Canon coming out with an MILC is fairly low. Not nil, but low.

Then again, in a separate topic, I called the OMD and its successors/siblings to eat up the low end DSLR market. If Canon sees that future too, they will come out with a MILC. But I really don't see it looking anything like that blog mockup.
  6. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    You do realize that's just the fantasy of a blogger, and not even a rumor?

As far as anything else, I find it amusing that so many people that know absolutely nothing about Canon's plans are convinced they can predict what Canon will or won't build. Don't forget that Canon has bet the farm on a whole new category / body before, throwing out decades of FD mount body history to start over with the EOS line.

Is Canon afraid that selling high quality mirrorless bodies will steal sales from their low-end DSLRs? Maybe. But probably not as afraid that MILCs from other companies will steal sales from their DSLRs.

If I were Canon, I'd rather lose sales to my own products than to someone else's. But I freely admit I don't know any more about Canon's plans that anyone else who posted in this thread, or David Riesenberg.

Panasonic, FWIW, thinks Canon is going to offer a serious MILC, and they're moving the GH line up-market to compete with that anticipated camera. That I do know, because Panasonic has said so publicly.
  7. okinana

okinana Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 21, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA

I went back and read all the posts. I think no one said they thought it was a rumor, explicitly or otherwise.

8. heedpantsnow

heedpantsnow Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 24, 2011
    Canon has said repeatedly and vehemently that mirrorless ILC's are stupid, worthless, etc. Given their management is still mostly Japanese, I cannot see them eating those words and producing one anytime soon, if ever. I agree that the G10X or whatever they call it is as close as they will get to u4/3, etc. for the foreseeable future.

Disclaimer: I still haven't sold my EOS 10D, 17mm prime, and 28-135 IS because I still have use for them. So, please don't think I'm a Canon "hater". I just hate the weight!
  9. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    The business (and the management personality) is practically identical to Nikon, and we know the above are EXACTLY what THEY think. It is pretty reasonable to assume Canon's market research says the same thing.