1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Canon G1X vs. G3

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by caimi, May 1, 2012.

1. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Caimi caimiphotography.com
    I'm currently strugling with keeping the Canon G1X or trading it for a G3. Used primarily for hiking and biking so it has to be rugged. I don't like the Canon viewfinder or slow write time or slow lens. I do like its excellent IQ and high ISO performance and it is built like a tank. Would you trade it for a G3 ?

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yes, I would.

An OM-D would be even better since you say you need something rugged. However, the cheap price of the G3 would allow you to get a good fast lens to go with it, which was also another of your requirements. So unless you have the budget for an OM-D *and* fast lenses to go with it, then yes the G3 would be an excellent choice and would solve all your stated problems with the G1X. Most of the cameras in the m4/3 system will provide DSLR performance with excellent choices in high-quality viewfinders and sharp fast lenses.

3. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I would go for the G3 as well.

4. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    No, not if you are just going to buy a kit lens. G3 is bigger, not built as well, lens is much bigger, the kit lens is slower at the wide end.

Only benefit of the G3 over other M43 bodies is an EVF in camera.

Only way you'll get faster lens performance is by buying a 20 1.7 but that's adding another $400.00.

The 12mp cameras are good, but lack a EVF or as good high iso as your Canon so it's not much of an upgrade.

5. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    I would trade it for the G3 assuming you're going to add more than the kit lens. If youre not interested or cant afford more lenses, no point getting an interchangable lens system..but if you are, you cant substitute it with a G1X.

6. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    To be fair, the G3 is 16mp vs 12mp for most of the other m43 cameras (including all of the PEN cameras) has better high ISO, has an articulating LCD and IMHO better handling than all but the OMD, and Panasonic GH cameras (of course that is purely my own bias there as I prefer the DSLR style body over the PEN style of body). HOWEVER...I agree to get the most out of the G3 you need to have good lens pes and I am not a fan of either the Olympus or Panasonic kit lenses (except the 14-45).

If are not planning to get multiple lenses (one of the main benefits of having an interchangeable lens system) then something like the G1X is a better option.

7. The advantage to the G1X is that Micro 4/3 does not offer a zoom lens quite like the Canon's in terms of sharpness, size, aperture range, and zoom range. You can pick one or two but not all four. The build and ergonomics of the G1X are great too. I have and am planning to keep both the G1X and my Micro 4/3 gear. As a straight swap I wouldn't replace a G1X with a G3 and a kit lens unless I really needed faster autofocus, and if you want a faster lens on the G3 you need to looking at primes, as in multiple lenses. Three in fact (14, 20/25 & 45) to almost cover the same zoom range as the G1X. At this point you need to be thinking about your wallet :eek:

8. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Perhaps you guys that know much more than I can clarify this.....as I understand, it is the relationship between sensor size and aperture that means in order to have large aperture/bright zooms, physics dictates that the lens would be quite large....I'm sure we have all seen the mock-ups of the upcoming pana 12-35 and 35-100 f2.8 zooms, they are quite chunky. Isn't the sensor of the G1x slightly larger than an mu43 sensor ? ....if so, how have Canon managed to keep the lens, also an f2.8 (?) so relatively small ?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The lens looks small from outside but aperture is large . Now if u look at Fuji X100 , it also had small lens but sensor was APS-C . I am also planning to get G1X for my wife and daughter and it looks very good camera if u don't plan to muck around with three primes on a MFT body and u have no intentions to add more lenses .
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

10. Joe, the max aperture closes down very quickly as you zoom in. I don't have the camera on me at the moment, but I think at 35mm (equiv) the max aperture is ~f/3.5, and by 50mm it is ~f/4.5. f/2.8 is but a fleeting encounter :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Thanks for the explanation Nic.

So that explains why the new 'bright' Pana zooms are large in size relative to the G1X lens.....an unavoidable consequence of maintaining f2.8 throughout the focal range.

12. songs2001

Jul 8, 2011
    Collapsible lens design is much easier in an all in one body because you can collapse the lens into the camera body, currently impossible with m43.

The new Pentax mirrorless camera design is interesting because it will allow lenses to be fitted into the body because the body is so deep.

13. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Caimi caimiphotography.com
    Thanks.

Wow. So many thoughtful answers. Thanks to all. I should add I already have
    Oly 14-42, 14, 17 and 45 and Panny 20 and 45-200. So it's not a consideration of whether I should buy more lenses. I'm more interested in a Panasonic Lumix from the basis of better viewfinder, faster AF and faster write time. The three things I don't like about the Canon. Since I originally posted I decided I like the added controls of the Canon over the G3. But now I'm looking harder at the GH2. Any thoughts about Canon G1X for Lumix GH2 swap? Thanks again.

14. songs2001

Jul 8, 2011
    I don't like the mini DSLR form factor so I wouldn't trade it for a GH2.

If you want small size with EVF, fast lens and fast AF, I would also look into the Nikon J1 with the 10mm pancake, not as good as the Oly or Panasonics, but you get a small body with EVF cheap.

15. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    ...which totally defeats the compact purpose of a collapsible design, I might add. :rofl: