1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Canon G1X v. Olympus Ep-5

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by sjohnsonjd, Sep 15, 2013.

1. sjohnsonjd

sjohnsonjd Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 29, 2013
    I am wondering can anyone make an IQ comparison between the G1X and the PEN Ep-5 in terms of the images that come out of the sensor. I have so far liked the images coming out of the G!X and the Pen seems a little soft at times. I am talking about jpegs. ( I do not do to much RAW shooting because of time constraints in post-processing). Thanks.

2. I can't comment on jpegs unfortunately, and I'd have to replace the E-P5 in your comparison with the E-M5 in which there shouldn't be much difference. The basic differences between the two sensors on a raw level is:

- Olympus has way, way more dynamic range

- You can get less base-ISO noise from the G1X (noting that it has a native ISO 100). However the E-P5 will do a pulled ISO 100 and still probably have more dynamic range than the Canon

- High ISO noise will begin to favour the Olympus. In this case though I do know that the G1X has a software trick to combine multiple exposures at very high ISOs (needs a steady hand) to produce good jpegs.

- Olympus has typical Sony sensor colour response and typical Olympus colour mixing; it tends to higher saturation levels of various colour channels and can blow the red channel. Canon pumped up the saturation a little on the G1X sensor compared to the EOS cameras but it is easier to deal with this than that on the Olympus sometimes

- The Canon seems to have a tick more clarity or pixel-level detail than the Olympus

Overall the big gap in dynamic range would put the Olympus out in front for me but under more favourable circumstances the Canon is more than capable of matching and even pulling out a better looking image than the Olympus.

3. sjohnsonjd

sjohnsonjd Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 29, 2013
    Thank you for the reply. It was quite informative.

4. christofp

christofp Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2012
    dpreview's compare tool

Looking at the dpreview studio shot, the new Oly sensor (E-M5, PM2, PL5 and P5) looks quite good
    (one has to select Oly E-M5 manually, hoped the link would contain the choices made):

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canong1x/16

5. In that review you can also read the disclaimer regarding the limitations of the DPR studio scene test to accurately reflect the real world sharpness of the G1X lens and sensor. DPR performs that scene test at fairly short focusing distances at which point the G1X (whose lens has a fairly large minimum focusing distance) had to be put into macro mode which causes sharpness to diminish away from the centre. It is certainly something to keep in mind if you shoot a lot of images close-up and need corner-to-corner sharpness.

6. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I know the OP was asking about IQ and actually has both cameras, but if we're talking a rounded comparison of both, rather than just a question of IQ, then the E-P5 beats the Canon in most other ways:

- interchangeable lenses
    - much faster AF
    - much faster continuous fps - 10fps vs <2fps
    - faster max shutter speed
    - better UI (more knobs/wheels)
    - good looks!

I can't see how the G1X is a serious alternative to the E-P5. The G1X is a grown up P&S really, albeit one with a stellar sensor.

7. sjohnsonjd

sjohnsonjd Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 29, 2013
    I am getting my Pen tonight!

8. audiodrive

audiodrive Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 9, 2013
    Prairies
    jef
    That will be a good decision!

9. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    Having shot with the G1X I will agree the IQ is excellent. Flatter but sometimes easier to deal with output.

That being said the G1X is slow slow slow. Moving subjects or even sort of moving - don't bother. Otherwise great lens and nice sensor. Better than the sales numbers would suggest. Mind you I would pick up an EOS-M blowout first.