1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Canon G1X Preview

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by gsciorio, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    well, damn.

2. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    Interesting idea. It's about the same size as an E-PL2 with a 14-42 PZ lens (or any of the three primes), which means that like most :43: cameras, it's only jacket-pocketable (in fact, the current G series, which is smaller, already is.) It will really come down to how valuable interchangeable lenses are to a given consumer. 28mm - 112mm is a decent range, and f/2.8 on the wide side is reasonably fast. This will, as it says in the article, be a nice complement to a full DSLR system.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Fred49

Fred49 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2010
    FRance
    canon GX1

Could make a nice hiking camera for me.
    I would sell my 14-150.
    And keep my m4/3 with primes for other uses.

just pointlessly dreaming atm, but interested and waiting on samples / review.

4. timallenphoto

timallenphoto Mu-43 Veteran

May 20, 2011
    Kent, England
    Can we correct the thread title to avoid search problems? It's G1X not GX1. Camera makers are obsessed with X at the moment!

5. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I like it already.I think I will buy it and see how it goes . It can be a nice backup camera for MFT system..
    Cheers

6. Just unfortunate that it's not the basis of a replacement for a full DSLR system, since I already have a complement.

7. Rudi

Rudi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2010
    Australia
    Yep. Impressive specs, despite what many will say about the "slow" lens. It's an exciting time to be a photographer... :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  8. timallenphoto

timallenphoto Mu-43 Veteran

May 20, 2011
    Kent, England
    So many cameras tempting me away from my Pen setup at the moment.

9. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Not bad at all.

Panasonic GX1 + 14-42PZ = $950
    Canon G1X = $800

The Panasonic can change lenses and has the option of an EVF. The Canon includes an OVF, has greater range, a fast lens, and a better LCD that tilts and swivels.

If only it went to 24mm on the wide-angle and were a bit faster at the long end...

DH

10. Bhupinder2002

Ya it looks like a great backup camera for any format .Its really nice to have so wide choice now .We can pick up anything as per our need and sometime our greed..hahhahah.
    Cheers

11. dabbler

dabbler Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2011
    It's an interesting option, and I'm very glad they've gone with 4:3. I'll look forward to the reviews.

Could be good news for m43 too, in that there's no longer a significant-looking jump between APS-C Nikon, APS-C Canon, G1 X and m43 sensor sizes, and Canon are presumably going to heavily market the new camera as similar in IQ and DOF as their DSLRs.

On the other hand, can't you just hear the Canon fanboys: "Your camera's sensor is smaller than a compact's...":rolleyes:

12. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    That's been true ever since late 2009, when the Leica X1 came out!

I'm just happy bigger sensors are starting to get some love again. All the 1/2.5" compacts were really getting depressing.

It poses one interesting possibility though - what if Olympus got their sensors from Canon? The G1X sensor would only need to be cropped slightly to m4/3 dimensions, and the result would still be 12MP. Plus against the Panasonic sensor there'd be advantages in noise and DR.

DH

13. dabbler

dabbler Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2011
    That's not a compact; it's an automatic Cartier-Bresson generator.

A Canon-made m43 sensor would be a very intriguing prospect! Well, if Canon haven't been too fearful of cannibalising Rebel sales and made the sensor substandard, that is. Hopefully we won't have too long to wait for the reviews!

• Like Like x 1
  14. blue

blue Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2010
    UK
    Why not 24mm ?

28mm is a real "nothing" focal length. 24mm just gives that little extra in snapshots, landscape, architecture ...

Was disappointed with the Fuji x10 for this also, and the Xpro1 - a nice 16mm pancake on the xpro1 and my money would have been gone !

15. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Badass.

This is the first camera outside of m43 that actually has perked my interest.
    It even has OIS! Definitely have to check this baby out in person - hard to judge a camera's size/handling just through pictures.

16. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Canon joined M43 without actually joining! :wink: :biggrin:

I wonder how this sensor compares to the 16mp Pany sensor?

17. Bhupinder2002

YEs mine too..I am loving it already. But I think it will be fun. I don't like big sized cameras like proper DSLRs but I don't like supersmall cameras either . I think this one should be good fun. No constant itch to upgrade, No new lenses , No new body every 6 month . I think this will be one of the best selling compacts .
    Cheers

18. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    True. However I took a look at the photo comparison of the G1X vs the GX1 and the Canon is larger than the GX1 + the 14-42x pancake!

The articulating LCD screen (900k+ res to boot) is a really nice feature though for a fixed-lens compact.

19. Bhupinder2002

Exactly , my wife wanted a camera as she is scared to touch my lenses etc .. fair enough ..It was easy for me to get another MFT body and just attach me panny 20 mm and give it to her . But now for USD 799 this is a great compromise , size , quality , lens , features , looks ..everything is awesome . I wouldn't dump my MFT system for anything but yes Canon is on the top of my list .
    Cheers