Canon G1X mk 2

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by madogvelkor, Feb 11, 2014.

1. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
  2. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    It's a serious option for most people who just want one nice camera. I was wondering why no other brand is releasing something like that, except Leica. I guess everyone else has ILC systems to protect but Canon's is doing so badly that they don't care.

3. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    It's going to be a lot bigger than the Sony. Based on the current G1X, I think that puts them in different markets.

What's amazing is the lens. On m4/3, it'd be like having a 12-60/1.8-3.5 pancake zoom. If it's decently sharp and the autofocus is decent, this will be a breakthrough in size/performance.

4. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    You're right, it is a lot larger than the RX100 II.

Also, they seem to have dropped the resolution down to 12.6mp from 15mp.

5. Edgar

Edgar New to Mu-43

Sep 4, 2013
    Really impressive camera by Canon. I'd kindof given up on them, given their mediocre efforts on the mirrorless side -- but they seem to have put significant muscle into this camera.

I'd expected to see a camera like this eventually, but with a much smaller 1" sensor. I believed that to be the sweet spot for a fast-zoom big-enough sensor combo. Now I'm not so sure. Canon may have leapfrogged everybody. We're lucky to have so many great cameras available now.

Eager to see how it does on focus speed, macro, and bitrate for video.

6. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    It's all about AF speed for me. Hopefully this camera is at least in the ballpark with m4/3s. I was hoping they'd go with an RF-style EVF, but that wouldn't be a show stopper for me.

7. Loses some of the concept of the original G1X unfortunately by messing around with the features. Lens specs are impressive if the sharpness of the original G1X lens can be maintained.

8. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Specs are available from the Best Buy pre-order page.

Dimensions translate to 117x74x66mm. For comparison, the GX7 measures 123x74x55mm. The weight is 515g. There's even an optional EVF, although the peephole OVF has disappeared.

I started digital photography with a Canon G5 which was larger and heavier than this, despite using a 1/1.7" sensor and being restricted to 35-140mm. It's really amazing the progress that's been made.

It also appears to have native 4:3 and 3:2 support (i.e. multi aspect), which is just awesome for landscapes.

9. New, smaller image circle lens + existing larger sensor = true multi-aspect sensor. With the smaller image circle the total usable resolution is of course lower than the original.

10. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I've always liked what Canon has done with the powershot G line (except the G7). I shot with the G1, G2, and the G5 (my 6 year old uses it now) before moving on to micro 43rds which has completely replaced the larger high end P&S for me. Its certainly impressive to see how the line progressed though... I think its neat how they have split the line too... G## and the GX# as it seems. Each have a lot to offer photographers with different needs.

With all the success in this line (and DSLR), its really dissappointing how they couldn't really deliver a mirrorless system.... A lot of the concepts are applicable.

As to other cameras "like it'. I'd also throw in Fuji X10, X100, X20 and Sony's RX1

11. I look at the lens specs and think, "who shrunk the Olympus Zuiko Digital 12-60mm f2.8-4 lens?"

12. Reesebass

Reesebass Mu-43 Regular

Nov 5, 2013
    I think the Canon a G1X II is a very serious contender to m43 system, the amazing lens being the main reason . Hopefully it inspires Olympus and Panasonic to man up and deliver the same kind of glass to their cameras at the same price point. At closer look, for 800$ this Canon is a really good deal, considering how much equivalent lenses in M43 would cost. Right now there even isn't any equivalent lens, not even close. G1X II is priced about the same as zuiko 12mm F2.0, i for one would definitely pick the Canon. A compact 12-60/1.8-3.5 attached to camera, this is incredible.

At this time there is no excuse for Oly and Panny not to release a fast compact zoom. The (often overpriced) primes are nice and all but M43 needs to up their game to survive. Can't see why a casual photographer would choose M43 camera instead.

13. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    Before I'd bite, I'd definitely want to know long the lens stays at f2. If it drops off in aperture quickly I can certainly see the advantage of a m43 camera with a couple fast primes.

14. Reesebass

Reesebass Mu-43 Regular

Nov 5, 2013
    But how much would a couple primes plus a camera would cost, not to mention the nuisance of changing lenses (for casual users). With Canon you is basically get zuiko 12mm F2, Lumix 14mm F2.5 and Sigma 30 2.8 rolled to one and then some. Oly and Panny need to dismantle the lens in Canon G1X II and get back to the drawing board asap.

• Like Like x 1
  15. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    It all depends on what you need to shoot. An indoor portrait with the G1X for example is going to be tough at 60mm with an f4 lens. I can't tell you the number of times I've discussed 'what camera should I buy' with 'casual shooters which has ended with them ignoring my advice, buying a DLSR and kit lens and then being disappointed they can't take photos indoors without using flash. I see the same problem with this camera. For many maybe it won't matter, but for me I could never have a fixed lens camera with a variable aperture that's only f1.8 at the very wide end (especially a camera with a smaller sensor). For a one camera/lens travel solution with most photos in outdoors in good like it looks like a nice option if that's what you're looking for.

As to why Olympus/Panasonic can't just disassemble the lens and build something comparable, I would speculate that as a interchangeable lens it would necessarily be bigger and couldn't be designed in the same way.

16. Reesebass

Reesebass Mu-43 Regular

Nov 5, 2013
    The disassemble comment was more of a joke, but I bet it would still be worth a try. M43 users would be very happy with the equivalent lens twice the size, I think it's possible, at least I hope it is.

• Like Like x 1
  17. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    Could be an excellent low light performer on static or near static subjects with f1.8 and IS.

18. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Agreed so far. A lot of non photographers want a 'high quality' camera but don't want to learn the ropes. For many/most a high end compact is probably a better choice than any ILC, but the marketing gets them more often than not. Not that enthusiasts are immune; we're probably worse in a lot of ways ;)

It actually looks like a very strong contender for the advanced compact/enthusiast market - this isn't small sensor compact, it's a hair larger than an MFT sensor in a compact body, with a slightly larger but fast and flexible range zoom. If AF speed is up to scratch, it should be a very capable camera competing for the enthusiast compact crown. Zoom range is wider than the Rx100 (which wins on portability, 'loses' on sensor size), and it loses to the RX10 in terms of fast glass with crazy zoom range. But it's an interesting product.

I do agree with you that this says nothing about feasible lens designs for ILCs

19. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    I had a G1X before I bought m43. The last lens was really good (if a little slow). The biggest problem was the AF and overall camera speed was pretty glacial.

The new lens looks better but we'll see how the new body works. The lack of a built in view finder will put off a lot of the G series faithful.

20. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Really, my first reaction was 'how did they get it so wrong with the 12-50/3.5-6.3?'

Seriously though, I've been waiting for a camera like this ever since I first did serious hiking with my E-420 and 12-60/2.8-4.0 and thought, 'why can't they make a compact with a large sensor and this lens?' That was the middle of 2008.

• Like Like x 1