'Canon Forecast Falls Short of Expectations' - NY Times

Biggstr

Mu-43 Regular
It's not easy for successful companies to change their cultures. In a Master's course, it was claimed that at least 50% of the workforce of a company has to change for it to make a paradigm shift in its business model. My experience backs this up. Years ago, the e-business company I worked for was acquired by a company selling "shrink-wrapped" software. They were hoping to use the acquisition to transition from a product to a services company. I didn't work. $250 million later, they were still a product company going broke because the sales force and managers' bonuses depended on how much product they pushed every quarter. Canikon employees make there living making and selling DSLRs. Kodak employees made their living selling film products. Can Canikon make the transition to mirrorless? History suggests that they won't until forced to do so and then it might be too late.

RT_Panther

Mu-43 Legend
Canon and Nikon might go the way of Kodak. It's not easy for successful companies to change their cultures. I'm a professional program manager. In a Master's course, it was claimed that at least 50% of the workforce of a company has to change for it to make a paradigm shift in its business model. My experience backs this up. Years ago, the e-business company I worked for was acquired by a company selling "shrink-wrapped" software. They were hoping to use the acquisition to transition from a product to a services company. I didn't work. $250 million later, they were still a product company going broke because the sales force and managers' bonuses depended on how much product they pushed every quarter. Canikon employees make there living selling DSLRs. Kodak

Hmmm....Would you prefer Canon & Nikon to change their ways & subsequently surpass Panasonic and Olympus in the MILC market :confused:

Yep Fuji changed & look what they've done and where they're going - You can arguably say that Fuji has already taken a bit out of the Panasonic & Olympus MILC market :smile:

Just Jim

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Canon and Nikon might go the way of Kodak. It's not easy for successful companies to change their cultures. I'm a professional program manager. In a Master's course, it was claimed that at least 50% of the workforce of a company has to change for it to make a paradigm shift in its business model. My experience backs this up. Years ago, the e-business company I worked for was acquired by a company selling "shrink-wrapped" software. They were hoping to use the acquisition to transition from a product to a services company. I didn't work. $250 million later, they were still a product company going broke because the sales force and managers' bonuses depended on how much product they pushed every quarter. Canikon employees make there living selling DSLRs. Kodak

Canon and Nimon are faaaar more than just a consumer Camera company. Priced out any scientific optics lately? 100K for an optic is not out of the realm of possibility for the likes of Canon and Nikon... And they're STILL profitable where as every other manufacturer is bleeding.

Darthpnoy88

Mu-43 Regular
Unless Olympus and Panasonic goes all out marketing on the :43: honestly I visited a local BB Store here in SoCal and they have zero presence. Canon and Nikon will have time to catch up but will face a big battle against Sony and Fuji.

Bravin Neff

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Bravin Neff
In reference to that articlar Amin linked to, this statement confuses me: "the 4/3 sensor seems right-sized, not too big, not too small." Many people echo this to contrast m4/3 to APS-C mirrorless cameras, as if the APS-C sensor is closer in size to FX and hence is forced to bulky lenses. But that's not true: APS-C and 4/3 sensors are far closer in size, so if some APS-C mirrorless cameras got their thing together the resulting lenses should also be relatively compact. Sony is just doing a bad job proving it right now. Anyone else think that?

Anyhoo, as you were.

YouDidntDidYou

Mu-43 Regular
I'm not suprised by this. Here in the U.S., I still see tons of Canon SLR's being sold to young families to get those pictures of their kids. Most local big box stores don't have a single mFT camera. Some have a few NEX and a few Nikon 1 series. I don't know if its the market strategy or just a better informed consumer, but mFT doesn't seem to have the penetration here. But if mFT is being sold overseas, in Europe and Asia, like Canikon is sold here, its no wonder that Canon is struggling overseas.
Canikon can sell all the DSLRs they like, the question those customers will ask themselves 6-18 months down the line is "are we really happy with our purchase, did it live up to our expectations and would we buy more/again from canikon" I believe the answer is NO....

RT_Panther

Mu-43 Legend
Canikon can sell all the DSLRs they like, the question those customers will ask themselves 6-18 months down the line is "are we really happy with our purchase, did it live up to our expectations and would we buy more/again from canikon" I believe the answer is NO....

Probably would've been happier with a NEX or Fuji....:tongue::tongue::tongue:

curveshooter

Mu-43 Regular
We will not see this, as a leading camera manufacturer joining an "open" standard is not in their DNA. They like to tide their customers to proprietary mounts. This helps them to control their market.
Olympus and Panasonic created jointly the :43: because they did not had the resources to maintain a large market share alone.
The longer Canon and Nikon make these halfhearted efforts in the mirrorless space, the more ground m43 gains on them. I wonder if Canikon will eventually see m43 as enough of a threat that they join forces and create their own mirrorless standard and try to crowd everyone else out to establish the dominance they have in the dslr market.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

RT_Panther

Mu-43 Legend
The longer Canon and Nikon make these halfhearted efforts in the mirrorless space, the more ground m43 gains on them.

Actually,
The "1" system has good sales & here's part of the reason why.

Nikon DSLR owners can easily fit the tiny "1" system body in their bag with the rest of their DSLR gear.

Then they can slap that V1 say on one of their zoom lenses, add a tripod, and you can't beat that 2.7 crop factor for animal & bird watching shots.

YouDidntDidYou

Mu-43 Regular
Nikon 1 likely abandoned in 2014

Actually,
The "1" system has good sales & here's part of the reason why.

Nikon DSLR owners can easily fit the tiny "1" system body in their bag with the rest of their DSLR gear.

Then they can slap that V1 say on one of their zoom lenses, add a tripod, and you can't beat that 2.7 crop factor for animal & bird watching shots.

The Nikon 1 sales have been underwhelming, take a look at the Nikon 1 dpreview forum and flickr groups hardly any mention of the V2, S1, J2 or the J3. I think the Nikon 1 system will be abandoned by next year.

elandel

Mu-43 All-Pro
Hi Amin ..
This was expected as Nikon and Canon are not understanding fastly changing dynamics of digital photography. DSLR segment will be dead in this decade and so will Nikon and Canon if they dont change with the time . Photographers dont need those mirror , its these giants who refuse to update their manufacturing facilities and start to come up with mirrorless version of cameras including FF.
Cheers
Bhupinder

I agree with you. For my second body I now bought a Sony SLT. I now have a D700 - EPL-3 and A37. I think mirrorless is the future and maybe not only for pros, I mean maybe.

Latest threads

Top Bottom