1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

'Canon Forecast Falls Short of Expectations' - NY Times

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    READ ON at NY Times

Mike Johnston of TOP wrote this relevant piece over a year ago: The Online Photographer: Micro 4/3 is the Big Kahuna

It's way too early to count out Canon in any photographic market - mirrorless or otherwise. However the latest announcements from CP+ indicate growing third party support for the mirrorless market leading system, Micro Four Thirds and Sony NEX.

2. arentol

arentol Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2012
    I found this interesting from the Mike Johnston article:

"On the other hand, Micro 4/3 really does seem to have it right: the sensor is big enough, but not too big; small enough, but not too small. The cameras are right-sized, the lenses are right-sized. Everything's in balance. Everything fits."

This makes sense because the main goal of the designer of 4/3rds was to do exactly that. Match camera size, sensor size, and lens size perfectly so they all feel natural and balance as they should, which is something that was never approached in a scientific manner with any other format before.

3. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I'm not suprised by this. Here in the U.S., I still see tons of Canon SLR's being sold to young families to get those pictures of their kids. Most local big box stores don't have a single mFT camera. Some have a few NEX and a few Nikon 1 series. I don't know if its the market strategy or just a better informed consumer, but mFT doesn't seem to have the penetration here. But if mFT is being sold overseas, in Europe and Asia, like Canikon is sold here, its no wonder that Canon is struggling overseas.

4. giCe

giCe Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 27, 2013
    imho I don't think we can directly draw indication of mirrorless market from this. Canon is more than a camera company. They have investments in other industries in well including computing software, printer, and optics (remember they're an optics company first).

we can make a more compelling argument that it's their compact camera lineup that's been suffering more. With newer smartphones that have better camera capabilities within them. the need for a compact camera diminishes and Canon used to dominate that market.

Argument can also be made that more selections in DSLR have been made available by competing company such as Nikon, Sony, Olympus, Panasonic, etc. that are taking away their market share.

Canon's printers compete very well with Xerox etc. the slowdown in China (and ongoing Japan economic uncertainty), unrests in Europe, and skepticism of North America still looms businesses to invest in new equipments. Also consider Canon had suffered greatly with its production from the earthquake, leading to production delays.

Can an argument be made that this news is an indication of the future trend of mirrorless market? Possibly. Is it a convincing argument? Probably not. Canon is a blue chip company. I think when Canon and Nikon start fully committing resources and R&D into mirrorless like Sony, Panasonic and Olympus have(I still think they're dipping their toes at the moment with the EOS M and Nikon 1), then we can safely say that the mirrorless market is making a run against mirrored cameras :)

5. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Canon is huge. When I was overseas, one country I visited referred to printed paper copies as Canon copies, like how we refer to copies in the USA as Xerox copies!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    To be honest... Canon and Nikon are likely the only companies that are going to be profitable out of the Camera players we care about. Oly is in the hole, Sony is in the hole, Panasonic is in the hole...

7. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason

Panasonic is mostly losing money on its TV's from everything I've read. Funny thing is, I love my Pansonic Plasma tv...lol.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Aegon

Aegon Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    Portland, OR
    I was at the brick and mortar camera shop last night and asked the salesman if the EOS-M is selling well. He said that he's processed more returns than he has sold. And that he's taken more returns on the EOS-M in the last few weeks than on all Sony NEX cameras over the last few years of sales.

9. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi Amin ..
    This was expected as Nikon and Canon are not understanding fastly changing dynamics of digital photography. DSLR segment will be dead in this decade and so will Nikon and Canon if they dont change with the time . Photographers dont need those mirror , its these giants who refuse to update their manufacturing facilities and start to come up with mirrorless version of cameras including FF.
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

10. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Sounds to me like you want Canon & Nikon to cross-over and dominate the Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Camera market.....:wink::biggrin:

11. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    UmmmmPanasonic reports $667 million profit last quarter :biggrin:

12. macalterego

macalterego Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 10, 2012
    Lawrence, KS
    Jeffrey McPheeters
    Not as easy as one might think; just ask Microsoft. Hard to turn big ships.

13. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    Their first mirror less cameras proved this point. even with the big names they have produced a mediocre cameras. It will take long time for Canon/Nikon to introduce a collection of lenses and bodies like :43: has. As the time passes :43: will get more market traction and might take the role as sale wise leading mount.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Serhan

Serhan Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 7, 2011
    NYC
    At mirrorless rumors, also:

Canon admits: We haven’t sold as many EOS-M cameras as expected… | Mirrorless Rumors

15. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    I think is hard for Canon to catch up if they just start to R&D last yea, I guess maybe 3 years to take compete with Olympus.

• Like Like x 1
  16. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    Canon probably could have had instant success if they had gone for the micro four thirds standard.

• Like Like x 1
  17. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I never said it would be easy. :smile: But....

We poke fun at them about how they're trying to join "the game" - be warned once they figure out the rules :smile:

18. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    I'm not sure about their R&D timelines, but truth is they blew it with both the G1X (it could be a much better camera when introduced, IMO) and the EOS-M, which is, again IMO, a total joke.

Let's not forget that all Canon's small sensor cameras with good sensor performance, actually have Sony sensors in them. Meaning they haven't invested in small(er) sensor tech at all.

I'm currently with Kirk Tuck's prediction for the next 2 years, concerning Canonikon. They will actually introduce, I think sooner than later, something of a "hybrid" mirrorless technology, along the lines of Sony SLT. Not nessesarilly using a pelicle mirror. Furthermore, for Canon, they have to both replace their aging APS-C sensor and introduce much better AF performance, both CD-AF and (probably on sensor) PD-AF.

19. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    We will not see this, as a leading camera manufacturer joining an "open" standard is not in their DNA. They like to tide their customers to proprietary mounts. This helps them to control their market.
    Olympus and Panasonic created jointly the :43: because they did not had the resources to maintain a large market share alone.

20. linkedit

linkedit Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2010
    New Jersey, USA

That looks good until you actually read the engadget article.

"Just as Sharp offered a slightly more hopeful glimpse at its balance sheet this morning, so too does Panasonic have something worth celebrating: a net profit of 61.4 billion yen ($667 million) in the last three months of 2012. Much of this profit stems from a weaker yen and previous cost-cutting exercises, however, rather than any surge in demand for Panny products -- in fact, underlying sales continued to slip, with cameras, TVs and Blu-ray recorders proving especially hard to shift. Nevertheless, compared to the meager $164 million Panasonic made at the start of 2012, or the ego-crushing $2.1 billion net loss it suffered in the last three months of 2011, no one in that big HQ is likely to be complaining."