Canon flash on OM-D?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by BillW, Dec 20, 2012.

1. BillW

BillW Mu-43 Regular

Oct 22, 2012
    Scranton, PA
    Looking into moving to an OM-D and wondering if anyone has used a Canon 580 flash on their Olympus?
    Obviously it would not work in TTL, but Auto and Manual are usable, as long as the flash will work with the camera.
    Has anyone tried this?
  2. Y2K

Y2K Mu-43 Regular

Nov 19, 2012
    I have two flashes - Canon 430EX II and YONGNUO 468 made for Canon which I use with my Canon 60D. I have YN RF-603C triggers that I attach to my 60D and they would trigger either one (or both) flashes. Flashes won't work directly in OM-D hotshoe because the pinout is slightly different. However, I modified one of the YN RF-603C triggers according to these instructions and I can now use this trigger on my OM-D to trigger these flashes the same way I trigger them from Canon.
  3. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    It's unsafe to use Canon flashes on Olympus cameras as the TTL pins on the flash come in contact with the TTL contacts on the camera. Even if you have the flash in Auto or Manual modes, there are incompatible voltages on the TTL connections and can damage flash and/or camera. You could tape up the contacts.
  4. Brian style

Brian style Mu-43 Regular

Sep 5, 2012
    I never thought to try out my YN460ii or YN560 on the OMD when I had it for the weekend, but I did note that my RF602s worked fine to fire OCF where as my RF603s did not work. I see now why the 603s didn't work, they need a mod.
  5. romzL

romzL Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2012
    i had a 430EX II and it worked on my OMD mounted but only on M mode. the problem is, after a couple of shots, the OMD top panel near the VF became very hot and the OVF became foggy. i immediately removed the flash. i think this is because the camera body and the flash doesn't have the same voltage ratio for them to work properly. i would suggest to not use any non OEM Flash gun mounted on the OMD
  6. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    Phottix II triggers work great in the canon variety on the OMD to fire off camera flash
    I use a combo of 580 off camera and metz 50 on camera on my OMD
    you can use TTL on the Metz but only when the trigger is off of course and with the trigger on in manual mode
    might be nice to have TTL but not a big deal to me

wein used to make a safe volatge shoe adapter ? but I would say if you are using the OMD and have 580 either go off camera with the phottixII or get a Metz or Olympus flash depending on what you are after ?

for me the metz 50 as a wedding rig is working out fine I bounce kinda rear to the side and has enough power most the time and is a touch smaller than the 58 metz

the little FL600 is a great little flash also for around home or in a smaller room but to weak for larger rooms to bounce but if you used a bounce card and did a forward it would be OK