Canon FL 35MM "Camer" Lens?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by lenshoarder, Sep 16, 2012.

1. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    No, that's not a typo. Well at least not by me. I was in a thrift store yesterday and found a Canon FL 35MM "Camer" lens. I was surprised it was missing the a on Camera. It wasn't that the "a" was rubbed off, there was no sign that it was ever there. Is there a story to this? Is this a well known condition of the early lenses? Is it special? Should I go back for it?
  2. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    If it was cheap, I'd buy it just for the laughs. At least go back and take a picture of it :D

I've seen Promaster spelled "Promastar" on a lens somewhere on this forum, so stuff like this pop up from time to time.
  3. lenshoarder

Nov 7, 2010
    They want $25 with the FT SLR attached. I might just head back for it. I can't make it today. Hopefully it'll be there tomorrow.
  4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    $25? I'd just buy it and ask questions later. A 35mm Canon lens with a Canon FT? No way that entire package could be worth less than $25.

Maybe it was a rare misprint that leaked out before Canon caught it after only 20 lenses were released, and the lens is now worth $20,000. $50,000 if attached to one of the original bodies they came with, with a serial number between xxxxxxxx and xxxxxxxx. Too bad the box isn't included, because the box itself is worth $1000 even though the misprint was not on it. Okay, that's doubtful... but what have you got to lose? lol.
  5. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

If anything the errored lens would sell for $25 plus on ebay. The body would have at least that value as well{if it is good working condition}. So right there you could double your money.
  6. lenshoarder

Nov 7, 2010
    Went back today. It was gone. I should have bought it on Saturday. To be honest though, the only interesting part was the "Camer" typo. The lens had a scratch on the rear element and the body had the mirror stuck up. If it wasn't for the typo, not worth $25 in my opinion. Although the leather case was in good condition. I am bummed I didn't pick it up now though. If I hear that someone sold the infamous "Camer" lens on Christie's for $20,000 I will be sad.
  7. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Just as well those stuck up mirrors are such snobs!:biggrin: