Canon FL 35MM "Camer" Lens?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by lenshoarder, Sep 16, 2012.

1. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    No, that's not a typo. Well at least not by me. I was in a thrift store yesterday and found a Canon FL 35MM "Camer" lens. I was surprised it was missing the a on Camera. It wasn't that the "a" was rubbed off, there was no sign that it was ever there. Is there a story to this? Is this a well known condition of the early lenses? Is it special? Should I go back for it?

2. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    If it was cheap, I'd buy it just for the laughs. At least go back and take a picture of it :D 

I've seen Promaster spelled "Promastar" on a lens somewhere on this forum, so stuff like this pop up from time to time.

3. lenshoarder

Nov 7, 2010
    They want $25 with the FT SLR attached. I might just head back for it. I can't make it today. Hopefully it'll be there tomorrow.

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    $25? I'd just buy it and ask questions later. A 35mm Canon lens with a Canon FT? No way that entire package could be worth less than $25.

Maybe it was a rare misprint that leaked out before Canon caught it after only 20 lenses were released, and the lens is now worth $20,000. $50,000 if attached to one of the original bodies they came with, with a serial number between xxxxxxxx and xxxxxxxx. Too bad the box isn't included, because the box itself is worth $1000 even though the misprint was not on it. Okay, that's doubtful... but what have you got to lose? lol.

5. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

If anything the errored lens would sell for $25 plus on ebay. The body would have at least that value as well{if it is good working condition}. So right there you could double your money.

6. lenshoarder

Nov 7, 2010
    Went back today. It was gone. I should have bought it on Saturday. To be honest though, the only interesting part was the "Camer" typo. The lens had a scratch on the rear element and the body had the mirror stuck up. If it wasn't for the typo, not worth $25 in my opinion. Although the leather case was in good condition. I am bummed I didn't pick it up now though. If I hear that someone sold the infamous "Camer" lens on Christie's for $20,000 I will be sad.

7. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Just as well those stuck up mirrors are such snobs!:biggrin:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.