Canon FD same as EOS EF?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by s0nus, Jan 29, 2011.

1. s0nus

s0nus Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 13, 2010
    I just picked up a legacy lens with a Canon FD mount, and I'm trying to choose an adapter for it. RainbowImaging only has a Canon EOS EF to m43 adapter, and I was wondering if it'll work for an FD lens?

My Google-fu is weak in answering this particular question.

2. ajramirez

ajramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 16, 2010
    Caguas, Puerto Rico
    No. They are two completely different mounts. Canon EF is the current mount for Canon autofocus lenses. There are no mechanical linkages; communication between camera and lens is fully electronic.

Canon FD is the legacy mount. There are no autofocus FD lenses (except the ones developed for the T80 afaik) and linkages are mechanical.

There are plenty of Canon FD adapters available ranging from the expensive Novoflex, to inexpensive adapters available from various vendors through eBay.

3. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    FD lenses will only work on EF mounts by way an adapter that requires an optical element to maintain infinity focus. You need to get an m4/3-FD adapter to use the lens on your camera.
  4. s0nus

s0nus Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 13, 2010
    Thank you for the quick response! I realized that Wikipedia has nice descriptions of the history of mounts that answers my question pretty clearly as well.

Here's a followup: anyone have any happy experiences with a particular FD to M43 adapter that you would recommend?
  5. BrianK

BrianK Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 20, 2011
    Lansing MI
    I have had great luck with FotoDiox on

6. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    do a search on here; the FD/M43 mount has been discussed

It is quite a "fiddly" mount and you need to get "the lever" in the "right position" otherwise the aperture remains fully open

I bought a couple of mounts from Hong Kong - RJ Camera - they are well made, a good price and work fine - (as I said they are all fiddly - it's just the design of the FD and FDn lens)
  7. qball

qball Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2010
    Rainbow Imaging... I have at least 6 different m4/3 to ??? adapters from them via ebay. Fast service and fast shipping