Canon FD rear element protector for reverse macro

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by uci2ci, Sep 10, 2012.

1. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm planning on using my Canon FD 50 1.4 reverse on top of my zuiko 12-50 and Vivitar 100/2,8 macro. My findings just by holding the reversed 50 on the other two lenses look very promising, the magnification is amazing! While waiting for a proper macro coupler to arrive, I decided to make a rear element protector, cus I could see myself hitting the rear element on something since the focus distance is so small with the lenses stacked on each other. Nikon makes something like this to protect their reversed lenses, part BR-3, but I couldn't find anything for other lenses. It all took about 30 minutes, but it came out good, so I thought I should share it since I know there are some macro loving folks here :D. The mod also makes it so that when the cap is attached, the aperture automatically opens to 1.4. This is big benefit since aperture control when is the lens is not attached to a camera is a pain in the ***.

Basically used a flame to heat a scalpel and I cut a circle on top of a Canon FD rear cap. If you follow the groove that is already there, you will make a hole that will be a PERFECT size for a 46mm thread UV filter. Use coarse sand paper to clean the edges of the cut. With hard pressure, and some twisting, the UV filter should go in there and hold tight. You can use glue if you want to, but mine is in there very securely, at least for the moment. There are probably better methods to cutting the hole, maybe a proper sized spade bits and a drill....someone with proper knowledge of power tools can chime in. Then use a nail clipper and cut the little notch on the side the cap that prevents it to fully lock in place. Here are some pics.

<a href="" title="P9090016 by sam2c, on Flickr">[​IMG]"1024" height="768" alt="P9090016"></a>

<a href="" title="P9090017 by sam2c, on Flickr">[​IMG]"1024" height="768" alt="P9090017"></a>