Canon FD questions

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by silver92b, Apr 4, 2013.

1. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    I find myself in possession of several Canon FD lenses and 2 of them are the same focal length and max aperture, but they are quite different in size and looks. Can somebody shed some light on these lenses? Which is the one to keep and which is the one to sell?
    They are both FD mount, 50mm f1.8 but the differences are obvious

2. rnagoda

rnagoda Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Pittsburgh, PA
    The smaller one is the newer one. "SC" stands for spectra coating. It isn't indicated on the new one, but it should have it. Info: Canon FD 50mm standard lenses

The optical quality, I'd imagine, should be identical or nearly so. So keep the one that's in better condition, perhaps?
  3. sinclair

sinclair Mu-43 Veteran

The shorter on is the new FD (nFD) lens. I'm sure you noticed when putting on the adaptor that the shorter one the whole lens turned and clicked in place, while the longer one just the silver ring turned tightening the lens against the adaptor. You'll also notice that the shorter one goes to f/22 while the other one only goes to f/16. The nFD lens is newer, and therefore could have better optics. Shoot test shots with both and keep the one that's got better IQ to you. I already had the nFD lens (came with my Canon AE-1) and love it.
  4. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Thanks for the good info. I bought the newer one first and the second one came in instead of the zoom lens I bid on... I have gotten 4 prime Canon FD 50mm so far and a Starblitz zoom with FD mount. I need to cull the herd LOL!

5. sinclair

sinclair Mu-43 Veteran

If you have the 50mm f/1.4, get rid of the rest. Not only is it faster, but my understanding is it has better IQ. But I have to ask, why so many of the same focal length?
  6. sugarbaker

sugarbaker Mu-43 Regular

Jan 6, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    Is one the f/3.5 macro? I'd keep that one and the f/1.4 and get rid of the two f/1.8s
  7. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    Agree, keep the 1.4 and 3.5 macro. Cull the 1.8s and the zoom.
  8. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    One 50mm 1.8 was the first legacy lens I bought. It came with a AE-1 program body an a zoom lens. The 50mm 1.4 was my second acquisition as I wanted a faster lens. The 50mm 3.5 zoom was my third Canon lens (saw it for a good price on ebay and got it ;)). The last 50mm 1.8 came by error, I had bid on another Canon zoom I though was worth trying. The seller screwed up and sent the wrong lens....

I think I will sell the 50mm 1.8 lenses as well as the Starblitz zoom. I have too much legacy glass already and they must be culled... Anyone interested in these lenses? How about a nice Oly OM 50mm f1.8?
  9. iamajai

iamajai Mu-43 Regular

How do you like the 50mm macro? There's one in a local camera store that's on for $99 CAD and it's been tempting me for a while. Haven't ever owned a macro lens. Is it usable as a walkabout without tripod and lighting?
  10. wanderenvy

wanderenvy Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2012
    The canon 50mm f/3.5 macro is a great lens. Critically sharp even at f 3.5. Its usable as a standard 50mm in a pinch and has fairly decent bokeh. A tripod and macro light add to good macro technique, but the lens itself is very usable without them.

99 CAD is a decent price if its in E or E+ condition. Check out to compare.
  11. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    ^^^ Agreed, it is definitely a good lens to walkabout with, as long as you have the OM-D with the image stabilization on.... You can use it as a macro or as an all round lens in daylight. I found mine on ebay for $50 USD but it's not in pristine condition, just in decent shape but functions perfectly.
  12. iamajai

iamajai Mu-43 Regular

Not to take the thread completely off topic, but went to look at the Canon 50mm 3.5 today and found a Vivitar 55mm 2.8 macro beside it. Larger and heavier, but I got sucked in by the native 1:1 and 1 stop faster aperture. Very much enjoying it so far. Didn't think I'd enjoy macro shooting as much as I do.