Canon FD lenses...not much love here, and I just...can't

Real Name
John
Took this pic of Izzy inside this morning with Canon FD 35mm 1:2 S.S.C. on my G-7

P1030615.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

wyk

Mu-43 Veteran
Here's some found footage I made in to a video today. From when I used to volunteer in a dog rescue full time in 2014.
Used a Canon 50mm F1.8 FD lens and an Olympus EPL2

Real Name
Joseph T Murphy IV
Dear Board,

Here is a picture from one year ago today of my recently departed best friend. Taken with an EPL-2 and Canon 50mm f1.8 FD. I wish I had shot it at f4 instead of f1.8, but it turned out pretty well. I'll never forget you Bearman!

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Harrisburg, PA

Bear Man 12-11-19-resized.jpg

alex g

Mu-43 All-Pro
Lovely, soulful portrait. I think that f/1.8 really helps to draw the viewer into the volumes being spoken silently through his eyes, particularly his left. F/4 might have got his nose more in focus, but likely at the expense of that tremendous sense of connection you captured. Very sorry for your loss.

edmsnap

Mu-43 Veteran
Okay, since I’ve found some FD fans, who’d like to opine on the FD 28/2.8 S.C. Vs the NFD 28/2.8?
The 28s were not the stars in the FD world. I own almost all of the FD lenses and multiples of many. I recommend the FDn over the FD generally speaking. People malign the polycarbonate bodies, but I can say with confidence that they last very well and fail less. Their lightness also matches m43 better.

I'd skip the 28s altogether and go for a 24. Way better lenses. The 24/2.0 is my favourite lens to put on m43 hands down, adapted or otherwise.

Whenever I use the 20/2.8 I'm always impressed. It's a lens that can't take a bad picture it seems. I'd also throw it on the recommendation pile.

ektar

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Don
The 28s were not the stars in the FD world. I own almost all of the FD lenses and multiples of many. I recommend the FDn over the FD generally speaking. People malign the polycarbonate bodies, but I can say with confidence that they last very well and fail less. Their lightness also matches m43 better.
That matches with what I've read, 28 vs 24. I also read some pretty solid opinions on the FDn, especially vs the pre-S.S.C. FDs.

I'd skip the 28s altogether and go for a 24. Way better lenses. The 24/2.0 is my favourite lens to put on m43 hands down, adapted or otherwise.

Whenever I use the 20/2.8 I'm always impressed. It's a lens that can't take a bad picture it seems. I'd also throw it on the recommendation pile.

Thx!

I hung on to my most FD glass as I still push about a dozen or so rolls a year through my F1's & T90's. The plunge into mirrorless has given these lenses a new lease on life; these are on the long end for certain, with my others starting at 15mm. The IBIS really helps up to hand-holding a 400mm; after that it's monopod or gimbal head time...

Regards,

Edd

Most of my Long L's.jpg

800mm f5.6L.JPG

Last edited:
I had a Canon nFD 80-200 f4 L that I loved until I got the Olympus 50-200 SWD. I also had a Canon nFD 50mm f1.4 that I wish I hadn't sold. It was so sharp and had the most fantastic bokeh. Here are some samples from that lens.
_4010084_ppy.png
_SBA3643_ppp.png
_SBA8678_pp.jpg

Armand Di Meo

Mu-43 Regular
Canon FD lenses are a bit utilitarian but optically they were among the best back in the day, probably just behind Nikkor lenses in optical quality. I shot with Canon manual focus cameras back in the day. I have since moved on but I remember the 100mm f2.8 S.S.C. as being an especially nice lens. The 50mm f1.4 is also rather good. I prefer the older breech lock lenses, since they have more solid build quality than the newer bayonet FD lenses. (Breech lock and bayonet FD lenses are fully compatible.) You can pick up many Canon FD lenses for a song. The "not much love" you described works in your favor when it comes to price.

Last edited:

ektar

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Don
Well, by way of confession, right after my original post, one of the members offered up an nFD 50/1.4, which started the avalanche. I've since collected more of these than is proper, and have preferentially looked for the S.S.C. breechlock versions. Some are scarce, and a couple nFDs have fallen in my lap. My recent post in the B&W image thread was shot with an nFD 200/4. The price was good, but the seller lied about condition (bent filter ring). The 'beefy' FDs are really nice to work with.

So, I guess that the accolades here were a good influence?

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom