1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Canon FD lens on EM1?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by jjbigfly, Apr 8, 2015.

1. jjbigfly

jjbigfly Mu-43 Regular

Sep 6, 2013
    Can this be done? Is there an adaptor? A friend has a number of FD lenses and asked if I could use them........
    Thanks

2. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Absolutely it's possible. In fact it's rather simple. Just pick up a commercially available adapter which start at around US$15. Attach the lens, select the aperture with the lens' aperture ring, switch your camera into Aperture Priority mode (which will allow the camera to set the correct shutter speed) and shoot. Much more detail can be found in this thread.

3. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    There are also special adapters called "focal reducers" that can give you a "crop factor" of 1.44 instead of the classic 2 of micro four thirds, giving you an extra stop of light in the process. Cheap versions goes for about 70 euros and serious ones (Metabone speedbooster) for a lot more.

4. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    Here's my EM5 with an FD lens mounted with adapter, a second adapter, and a second lens. They work well for me.
    FD_ex.

5. GRID

GRID Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2011
    I use a Canon 300mm F2.8 FD alot, and it´s been working very well the past 3 years with a noname adapter from ebay.
    You can find alot of pics i´ve taken on my site, mostly Nature and motorsports.

6. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    totally are totally can. Here is a blog post I wrote on the first adapter I bought for FD back in 2009

http://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/2009/04/fd-lens-adapter-on-panasonic-g1.html

something else of interest
    http://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/2009/06/manual-aperture-control.html

I've since tried a number of them and find the quality of the Ciecio7 ones is fantastic. When you go to his ebay site you'll see he also does a host of REALLY high end ones for cinema.

Here are some samples of what I get with my FD 200mmf4 which I picked up for about $50
    http://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/2011/09/scaly-breasted-lorikeets.html

7. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    I have been known to use my FD lenses from a past life on my m43 bodies. No problem.

8. I couldn't believe how easy the whole thing is till I tried it. Simple adapter (I used one without the extra optics), mated to a Canon 50mm f3.5 macro, and I was quite surprised. It's so easy with mirrorless cameras. Configure one of the buttons to do magnification and use aperture preferred mode and it will almost seem like they designed these cameras just to do this type of set up. Gives a whole new life to lenses that would just be sitting on a shelf. With the non-optical adapters and the 2:1 crop factor, this can give some nice advantages while using tele lenses...especially with Olympus bodies because of the IBIS. Just make sure to adjust the focal length in the IS settings.

9. RamblinR

RamblinR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Sunshine Coast, Qld Australia
    Maria
    Just remember to change the focal length for the ibis to match the lens.

10. jjbigfly

jjbigfly Mu-43 Regular

Sep 6, 2013
    Thanks to all.....Great info.
    As it usually is here. :confused: