1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Canon FD lens image stabilizer???

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Jason Stamper, Apr 28, 2014.

1. Jason Stamper

Jason Stamper Mu-43 Regular

Mar 13, 2014
    Ok, so I am looking at buying a Canon FD 135mm lens and I found something interesting in the Canon propaganda. The description from Canon says it has an image stabilizer in it! FD lenses are not electronic that I know of, so what's up? Is it just puffery for the description, or is there some kind of mechanical something or other in the lens. If there is a real stabilizer in there would it be of any use to us micro 4/3 users?

I like the the 135mm focal length and the Canon FD lenses, so I am anxious to try one of these. I am getting much better at handholding un stabilized lenses, but it would not hurt my feelings if the lens really did have some form of stabilization. Thanks for your help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. gcogger

gcogger Mu-43 Veteran

May 25, 2010
    UK
    Graeme
    That doesn't sound right - do you have a link to the info you found?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jason Stamper

Mar 13, 2014
    This was on two separate eBay listings, looks like it was pulled from some kind of Canon literature. Funny that they are word for word on two separate eBay listings, wonder if it is something floating around the bay...

"Product Information
    Capture moments with amazing clarity using the Canon 135 mm F/3.5 lens. Get incredible resolution and contrast with the 16 elements in 12 groups lens construct of this Canon zoom lens. The image stabilizer feature of this Canon lens delivers crisp images irrespective of your shaky hands while capturing images. Moreover, capture your subjects in a distinctive frame using the 74 degree - 11 degree diagonal angle of view from this Canon zoom lens. You can get creative and go closest to your subjects using the inner focusing system with 1.5 feet closest focusing distance of this Canon lens. With mere weight of 455 grams, you can carry the Canon 135 mm F/3.5 lens along on your trips with ease."

Hmm, just noticed they said zoom, this might be bunk about the stabilizer.

4. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    The 135mm f/3.5 certainly does not have 16 elements in 12 groups either. It sounds like they've mixed in product info from some other lens with the 135mm f/3.5.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jason Stamper

Mar 13, 2014
    Sounds like it to me too, could that be the description for the newer EOS lenses? I don't mind the lack of it, I think the lens will be just fine. Anyone had any experience with these in the new FD model?

6. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg

That blurb seems to apply to the EF-S 18-135mm IS zoom for Canon DSLR crop cameras.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Jason Stamper

Mar 13, 2014
    Cool, good to know, I was wondering how that was going to work with no electrical connections. Thanks for the clarification!

8. ScottGee1

ScottGee1 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2014
    Motown!
    eeek-bay sellers . . . :suspect2:

• Like Like x 1